The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
condensor mics vs dynamic mics for rap vocals
Old 24th July 2006
Here for the gear

condensor mics vs dynamic mics for rap vocals

Wattup y'all,

I'm into makin' hip-hop beats and I love to rap, but I haven't really been recording any of my rhymes cuz whenever I get up on the the mic I've been using, the results have been absolutely ****house (it's one of them free mics I got with a webcam ages ago hahaha).

So, I'm looking to buy a quality mic for under $400, but I don't know which one to go for with my grain of voice, CONDENSOR or DYNAMIC. The thing is, I heard that condensor mics are not good for rap cuz rappers are usually shouting their lyrics and it's too abrupt for condensor mics. I rap with a heightened voice too (I know there's a sticky for this, but if you wanna hear what I mean, check out my myspace page @ http://www.myspace.com/ozram612 and check out the last track called War On Iraq As Usual), but I also want to be able to rap without shouting the lyrics, but still get heard clear and weighty.

What do y'all think?

I've seen a neat mic from Rode (the NTA-2, I believe) that has multi-patterns like cardiod to omnidirec, condensor / dynamic etc.

are LDCs any good for rap? Thanx in advance, my dudes.

P.S. - Sorry, I know there's hella threads about mics, but I just feel it's really circumstantial so please bare with me!
Old 24th July 2006
Gear Maniac

well it really depends, my history with ldc mics are that their very sensitive so in an untreated room you will hear all around you, also they come in different assortment of colors.

Dynamic means dynamic, you can scream all day on them and really not have to fight with vocals really peaking unless the volume is too high, and with a nice preamp those mics really do shine.

you can check some materials on www.soundclick.com/darkitekt, some were with dynamic and some where ldc.
Old 24th July 2006
Gear Head

in my experience this is true when ur talking abuot budget condensers versus dynamic mics. for example the shure sm7 for $300 (dynamic) sounds far better than any $300 condensers ive tried (at mics, shure ksm, rode, groove tubes gt55). on the other hand, if ur talking about higher end mics such as neumanns, they are definitely well-suited for rap. another thing is that the whole dynamics are great for vocals thing assumes that you have a great preamp as well.

basically, if you have $400, go dynamic. if you have a budget of $1000plus then go LDC.
Old 24th July 2006
Here for the gear

hmmm

sounds like good advice guys!

pre-amp.. i just recently purchased an E-MU 1820 audio interface, how does that fend with say, Shure SM58?

Thanx guys

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search