The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is the RMIV affecting my drum sounds???
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Is the RMIV affecting my drum sounds???

Ive noticed that between soft samplers there is a perceived difference in play back of samples. Meaning, that I swear I can tell the difference between the way drums sound off of something like Battery 2 verus my copy of RMIV.....Also obviously versus some well tracked drums off an MPC thru a preamp, compression etc...

Does anyone else notice that their softsampler may be affecting the sound quality of their drums??? In a negative way?? Me and my partner both use RMIV for our drum samples and no matter what drumz we use, they always have this same sort of signature sonic fingerprint that Ive never noticed on a friend of mines tracks who uses Battery 2.

Anyone care to share some insight???

Part 2 to my question....

What are you guys doing to combat the fact that your soft samplers are in essence (theoretically) a sterile playback medium, meaning theres no real way to warm up your stuff except with plug ins in the daw???

Is anyone retracking their drums if they use a softsampler ??? Like maybe looping the drums individually thru some outboard and resampling them??? To add that "tracked" feel we get from people who track from an MPC or an MV????

Just curious if Im losing my mind over here.
Oh yeah the reason I thought of this is because when I audition my drums in Cool Edit or Windows Media player they sound way different than off of my RMIV...so Im really wondering if its time to get more than one Drum Sampler VSTI???? Theres tons of freeware ones out there.
Peace
Illumination
Old 15th June 2006
Dor
Lives for gear

what the **** is RMIV?
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Linplug RMIV

Linplug RMIV

http://www.linplug.com/Products/RM_IV/rm_iv.htm

Drum Sampler/Playback VSTI, Im guess that judging by your avatar you're being sarcastic???

Im not going to fork over dough for an MPC, I already sequence in Cubase SX. My biggest thing is the whole question about sound quality. Some people are claiming that RMIV sounds like ****e compared to Battery, so Im thinking about adding battery to the arsenal and having both at my disposal for different "flavours."

Peace
Illumination
Old 15th June 2006
Dor
Lives for gear

Nah, i actually never heard of it before. I googled it after I responded to your post ...

I was sequencing drums in DAWS years before i picked up my first MPC. That said, I think that EXS and Battery sound great if you are using great samples.

What do you hear RMIV is doing to your drums? I'm guessing you aren't hearing the punch of the indivdual drum hits once they are tracked out? What kind of chain are you running?

D

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search