The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roger Troutman voice box effect: How is it being done these days? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 17th November 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndough View Post
I been debating for a couple days about saying something here. Ok like 4 years ago I spent about a year looking for the same answer. I got in touch with a guy who "supposedly" was a stage tech for roger and he gave me a sheet with the parameters to program a yamaha dx100. Thats the board roger used. Anyway It took forever to find the board. Finally i found one on ebay in ok shape some guy in ohio was selling. We bought the board, programed it then sampled it and put the sounds into a motif and got rid of the DX.

Supposedley roger used a talkbox called a golden throat but I never found that and tried different ones. The banshee worked the best. Based on what I experienced the sounds have a lot more to do with it than the talkbox. No matter what sounds we tried It never was even in the ball park. The dx100 program was night and day compared to everything else... But I was/am still way off. I think it sounds ok and I used it on a couple of records but if you listen to mine then to bosco's or ali wally's for example you can totally tell they are on a whole other level. I havent used it in over 3 years for that reason.

Long and short of it get a hold of bosco or ali wally.... hahaha Everything else is just experimentation and attempting to get in the ball park. Sorry I promised the guy I got the patches from that I wouldnt give them to anyone else (For all I know they are real and I just never found the other pieces to the puzzle. Anyway I am a man of my word. Im not gonna disrespect anybody and post the stuff on the internet). In all honesty as you can tell from the sample Im not close enogh anyway. I just wanted to show that if the effort and practice I put in didnt get there no plug-in is going to get anywhere close. How you play the keys and "talk" effects the sound like crazy. Also another problem we had was recording. You could hear me play the keys physically pound them. So no using high end mics. Its also hard to judge how good it really sounds without recording it. I got the best results from cranking the banshee. That means its really loud. It pushes a lot of air!!!!! Way too loud and too much "air flow" noise to compare to more bounce. In the end it was safer and less wannabe sounding to keep things simple rather than freak the parts like roger did. In the example I attached it sounds like its only 4 note triggers. It was actually more like 7-9. I dont remember now but you get the point.

One more thing to add I could never figure out why roger and bosco's tube was so thin. All the talkbox's Ive seen have much bigger tubes. Anyway thats my 2 cents. Sorry I couldnt help. Hopefully I at least was able to give you a little insight on where not to go.
wassup, did u save it into your Motif as a straight sample? or was it a patch?
Old 21st August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneMixaken View Post
If your talking about the T- Pain vocoder effect its the Autotune plug in Ill post the setting if anyone needs it

Hey I need that preset can you send that or post it for us again please ?thumbsup
Having extreme Trouble getting it to sound even close.

Last edited by capone48048; 21st August 2007 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: Reason for needing preset.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

here's a lil sample of something I put down last year. wanted to do some talkbox like stuff and this is what I got out of a plugin (vocoder plug) routed to use a VSTi's waveform as a carrier and my prerecorded vocals as the modulator. Pretty ****ty mic but hey it's what I was working with at the time.

DeaconBliss.com
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

i got a DX100 from my high schools band room...it was sitting in the basement covered in dust. I had no idea these were sought after until I saw a Chromeo (MySpace.com - CHROMEO - Montreal/New York - 2-step / 2-step / 2-step - www.myspace.com/chromeo) show and saw him using the dx100 with a talkbox.

im going to get the rocktron banshee. to those out there that have experience, can you offer me any pieces of advice, such as what parameters to set on the dx100, proper playing technique, etc...basically anything!

thanks!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

roger told me goto petstore n get a smaller tube and fit it in w a fitting

then u can talk intelligably....

rip roger t
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Guy on Youtube doing Kanye/ Daft Punk stronger with a banshee and DX100
YouTube - Talkbox Stronger Intro Daft Punk
Old 24th October 2007
Here for the gear

This Guy Makes it Look Pretty Easy

YouTube - Talkbox: Roger & Zapp Medley
Old 5th February 2009
Here for the gear

voice box

how do you make a professional voice box like rogers, mc magics
please help, thx tee cee ridr
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

i use a banshee rocktron 2 and microkorg theres settings on youtube, to get as close as poss to roger. Sounds pretty good to me. altough i do suck at it.
Old 5th February 2009
Lives for gear

Hi all,

Im using the ev1823m horn driver with the se1-x as the sound source !!

Its a different tone but sounds good i think !!

Got some tracks my website!!
Old 6th February 2009
Here for the gear

hey everybody..new to the forum and i am very interested in using the roger troutman effect. in my recordings...

so this is it, i really do not know anything about a talk box, but i am very committed to figuring it out.

so i have an mbox, condenser mic, preamp, etc...

i also have a yamaha dx7 synth.

i am interested in the rocktron talk box...as it seems to be the most popular...

could anybody give me info on how i could make this work with my materials... i realy have no idea on how to do it
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneMixaken View Post
If your talking about the T- Pain vocoder effect its the Autotune plug in Ill post the setting if anyone needs it
Teddy Riley was rockin' the **** out of Rocktron for a minute back in the 90s, but it worked well though with BlackSTREET among others.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

Cool Stylo,

I bet he's using a ev1823m horn driver in that custom box !!

Hey could you ask Teddy what vocoder he used on Teddy's Jam 2, always wondered that, hehe
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Nice post Stylo thanks !!

The Radian 8ohm Speaker Driver, never heard of that one , ill check it out !

Here's a Fingazz video about talkbox/autotune which is quite funny !!

YouTube - Fingazz-Talkbox For Dummies
Old 18th February 2009
Gear Maniac

the picture dont show a minimoog.
its a se1x, about the same though.
i use the dx100 myself, but you can make a nice talkbox sound on a lot of synths.
Old 18th February 2009
Lives for gear

Hey mate,

Its a midimoog, even fatter than a se1-x, i want one.

Its a minimoog with midi !!
Old 19th February 2009
Gear Maniac

okay i guess you're right.
but isnt the midimoog also a product of SE?
looks just like the SE-1
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

Sorry i thought i read midimoog. Looked different to my se1-x. Thats because its a standard se1 hee, sorry my bad !!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search