The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roger Troutman voice box effect: How is it being done these days? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

he used a moog first and later the dx 100
Old 23rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

sorry for that, dont know whats wrong with Slutz, they bugging.
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I use a talkbox live a lot. I've only ever had a Hielsound model, but it sounds right to me.

Because they're too heavy, I put the power amp on the rider at shows. I don't spec a particular model on the rider as that's most likely wishfull thinking so I've been provided with many different models of power amp over the years.

One thing I've noticed is that the quality of the power amp has quite a large effect on the "fullness" of tone that you get from the talkbox. My Hielsound is rated at 100w, but scary as it may sound, the best sounds I've ever got from it was when it was powered by a high quality power amp with an output in exccess of 500w. Obviously you don't use all that wattage otherwise you'll fry the voice coil, but it does seem a large amount of headroom on the amp makes an improvement to the sound.

Regarding the microphone, I have thrown up all sorts of expensive mics in an attempt to lessen the "nasalyness " of the talkbox. So far the winner for me is the humble SM57 (which is convenient seeing as I do this live as well as in the studio ).

Also, a decent dose of proximity effect does no harm when miking a talkbox so it's good IME to practically eat the mic while playing. This however means a pop shield is pretty much demanded. I find it impractical to use studio style pop shields, and live that would just look daft, so I've been using the "Afro" style ones which seem plenty good enough.

Synth wise, I'm using a Novation BassStation with a very simple patch. One oscillator, sawtooth waveform, filter wide open (no resonance) and the envelope basically providing a gate action with fastest attack, full sustain and fastest release.

It's interesting to hear that Roger Troutman (GRHS) used the DX patch in later years. I'd always assumed it was an analogue monosynth he was using.

Anyhoo... . . enough of me rattling on about one of my favourite subjects, just thought I'd chime in here as there's not loads of discussion about talkbox out there.

P.S. Anyone else loosing fillings on a regular basis ? or have I just got a poor dentist ?
Old 25th June 2006
Gear Maniac

heres a sample what what I can do...
Attached Files

snipp-01.mp3 (708.7 KB, 1876 views)

Old 27th June 2006
Gear Nut

I just bought a Rocktron Banshee, its in the mail :D
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

Do you have to know how to play the keys, in order to use a talkbox?
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I dont know how to play the keys I just go by the sound and melody
I had the Banshee its ok for starting out
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Maniac

if you wanna sound like roger you gotta be a good keysplayer 2.
Old 27th June 2006
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Mister Groove

I know mistergroove, he is great.
He's from Ohio and he makes his own talkboxes.
Tony Talkbox is also great. Think you can also find things of him on youtube.
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Head

youtube has video footage of roger in action plus a handful of instructional videos on the talkbox .

Heres the link

Check out mister grooves tutorial , it rocks !!

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=search_videos

I just found this video clip of Stevie Wonder on you tube , hes performing close to you with the talkbox , the close ups are nice ,too .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX5v-...elated&search=
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Mister Groove designed my talkbox
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Thats what i mean, even if u got the right box and patch on the dx it's still difficult to get that Roger sound. Just listen to Insane's snippet(not to offend you, insane).
It dont really sound like roger at all, but if you listen to the Tony Talkbox or Mr groove, you hear that sound everybody wants.
Old 27th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneMixaken
Mister Groove designed my talkbox
How much is his talkbox?
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotterdam
Thats what i mean, even if u got the right box and patch on the dx it's still difficult to get that Roger sound. Just listen to Insane's snippet(not to offend you, insane).
It dont really sound like roger at all, but if you listen to the Tony Talkbox or Mr groove, you hear that sound everybody wants.

You got to be a good player and have that soul in you and you got to have the right combination between the level of the mic and the volumelevel of the DX.
At least thats what i think.

I know what your saying but I wasnt tryin to copy Roger's playing style. If you listen to some of his work he uses the bend alot and with a funk style of playing.
the same wit Tony.
Old 27th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Phoenix
How much is his talkbox?
Ive had it for a couple years I think it was 150.00
Old 28th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneMixaken
Ive had it for a couple years I think it was 150.00
Cool, thanks!
Old 29th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
I think it can be done with the Mofit ES and the breather controller add-on
If you mean a breathe control that's for controlling wind instruments and horns.

It's not an audio input at all.
Old 29th June 2006
Gear Nut

Well i JUST got my rocktron banshee going

WHY IS THE TUBE SO BIG???? jeezus

i can make some noises, but im totally drooling all over myself
Old 30th June 2006
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Nut

I just checked out the video of tony talkbox doing california love and is it just me or was he not playing the talkbox on the video. I mean it looks like he is but the words dont match his playing. I zoomed in to his hands at the part where he's sayind earthquake on the richtor scale and part of the words are on time with his fingers but at the end where he says scale his fingers are no longer moving but you still hear him say scale. also when he's saying shake, shake it mama, shake it baby etc and he starts dancing, his hand is just resting on the keys and his fingers aint moving, you don't hear the clicking of the keys being pressed either until seconds later. What's up with that? I'ma trippin? I'm decent at the talkbox and i was trying to see how that part was played and get a couple tips, so im familiar with the way certain parts should look when they're being played. i ain't trying to hate on him if he can really play that but that looked a little shady and i don't mean the blue effect. either way, the **** sounds good but i don't believe it was recorded live like mistergrooves videos. does anyone else notice this?
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Nut

i dont know about that, but ive gotten "used" to the big tube and no longer drool all over myself, and i modified the tube to have an angled end instead of straight cut off, it has helped i think to not cut off the sound
Old 30th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.
I just checked out the video of tony talkbox doing california love and is it just me or was he not playing the talkbox on the video. I mean it looks like he is but the words dont match his playing. I zoomed in to his hands at the part where he's sayind earthquake on the richtor scale and part of the words are on time with his fingers but at the end where he says scale his fingers are no longer moving but you still hear him say scale. also when he's saying shake, shake it mama, shake it baby etc and he starts dancing, his hand is just resting on the keys and his fingers aint moving, you don't hear the clicking of the keys being pressed either until seconds later. What's up with that? I'ma trippin? I'm decent at the talkbox and i was trying to see how that part was played and get a couple tips, so im familiar with the way certain parts should look when they're being played. i ain't trying to hate on him if he can really play that but that looked a little shady and i don't mean the blue effect. either way, the **** sounds good but i don't believe it was recorded live like mistergrooves videos. does anyone else notice this?
Alot of times on YouTube, the sound isn't always synced with the video, I've found. And it's not just with his vids. I've experienced that with most videos on there. Maybe a video player setting problem for all I know. I'd imagine that's what was going on.
Old 30th June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalvoodoo
Alot of times on YouTube, the sound isn't always synced with the video, I've found. And it's not just with his vids. I've experienced that with most videos on there. Maybe a video player setting problem for all I know. I'd imagine that's what was going on.
thats what i thought it might be too but its not a matter of being in sync or not because most of the sound is on time when he's moving his fingers but in those two parts i noticed that his fingers don't move at all. maybe im just trippin...
Old 3rd July 2006
TTB

Quote:
What up Peeps! TonyTalkbox here.. Just to clear it up, I did play everything live in that video with no microphone. all the sound is just what my little sony camera picked up. The video posted of me was posted by someone else..The original video atually goes into a close up of me playing it real close for people to see...but it looks like they cut it out. If your interested Ill post a link.. I had one other person think the same thing...I dont know why...maybe people think the talkbox cant be that powerful without a mic...but I assure you, no need to fake play or lip sync. I play Talkbox live all the time.

Thanks ,

-TTB
Old 4th July 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTB
What up Peeps! TonyTalkbox here.. Just to clear it up, I did play everything live in that video with no microphone. all the sound is just what my little sony camera picked up. The video posted of me was posted by someone else..The original video atually goes into a close up of me playing it real close for people to see...but it looks like they cut it out. If your interested Ill post a link.. I had one other person think the same thing...I dont know why...maybe people think the talkbox cant be that powerful without a mic...but I assure you, no need to fake play or lip sync. I play Talkbox live all the time.

Thanks ,

-TTB
Thanks for clearing this up man cuz i've heard you do work on peoples tracks and you do some nice stuff so i wasn't questioning your skills, just the video where certain words don't match your key playing. But if it isnt the original video then that explains it. By the way, how long have you been playing the talkbox for?
Old 4th July 2006
TTB

Quote:
Thanks for clearing this up man cuz i've heard you do work on peoples tracks and you do some nice stuff so i wasn't questioning your skills, just the video where certain words don't match your key playing. But if it isnt the original video then that explains it. By the way, how long have you been playing the talkbox for?
Thanks for the Props! I've been talkboxing for about 3 1/2 years. Ya..if you want Ill e-mail you the original video..it has a close up of the whole outro part. ya..it seems like the video is like a 1/2 second ahead. But I can see some of your points about how it looks like my hands dont move...especially on " Richter Scaale!" but actually at the end of that line my Thumb Lands and rest on the G key. But ya....the video seems like that...Maybe its the Software I used to Stream it..Lol!! I have the Original Full Blue Clip.....but not the 'ORIGINAL' because my Camera got stolen in Hawaii, and it had that footage in there. Ill check my external hard drives though...maybe I kept it somewhere.

Peace out!

-TTB
Old 4th July 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTB
Thanks for the Props! I've been talkboxing for about 3 1/2 years. Ya..if you want Ill e-mail you the original video..it has a close up of the whole outro part. ya..it seems like the video is like a 1/2 second ahead. But I can see some of your points about how it looks like my hands dont move...especially on " Richter Scaale!" but actually at the end of that line my Thumb Lands and rest on the G key. But ya....the video seems like that...Maybe its the Software I used to Stream it..Lol!! I have the Original Full Blue Clip.....but not the 'ORIGINAL' because my Camera got stolen in Hawaii, and it had that footage in there. Ill check my external hard drives though...maybe I kept it somewhere.

Peace out!

-TTB
Yeah, i'd like to check that out i'll send you a pm with my email. thanks
Old 5th July 2006
Here for the gear

Hello Everyone,

Teddy used a talk box with a couple of digitech vocalists to generate harmonies with the root talk box note. Hope this clears things up.

Dexter Simmons
Old 14th July 2006
Here for the gear

Tonytalkbox.com/Forum

YO Wusup everybody?
Just here to invite you guys to a forum where you can basically learn everything about the talk box...

www.tonytalkbox.com/Forum

Copy and paste exactly on the address bar, and register.

"Magic City" in Stores Now!

A.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search