Gear Nut

Avalon 737 or Vintech x73i

Strictly For Rap What One Is Better????
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.GrinchSD View Post
Neither is better. It depends on the sound of your voice or the voice you are recording.

Vintech is a NEVE clone.....do you like the NEVE sound?

Avalon is very clean and smooth sounding.......Try both and then decide what sounds. best.

There may be a place near you that rents them.
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

I have owned both and still own the Vintech. The 737 is OK but not what I would want as my only good preamp. The vintech is a great all rounder. Does clean or pushed very well and the EQ is really nice. It is not a Neve but a beast all it's own. Tight and punchy. I aslo have a pair of Wunder PEQ1's and the Vintechs get used just as much.
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Head

Better? Different.

I much prefer the 1073 sound over the 737.

It can also depend what mic you are using.

My personal go to pre is a Pacifica. It has a depth and air these two just don't have.
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Nut

The Mic I got is akg c414b-uls i also got a distressor all running through a rosetta 200
Old 4th July 2012
Gear Head

That's a decent mic. Nothing spectacular but can get the job done. If that's the only mic you have, you may want to look at a decent all around pre and pick up a couple more mics.

Daking makes a nice pre. Well they make nice stuff period. You can probably find a used Daking solo for around $500 and still have enough money to cop another mic. If your on a budget that may be the way to go.
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

Vintech all day..
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

I have the 737 and the x73. Not the i. I love the x73 with a nice tube mic. I don't really use the 737 too much. Sometimes on drums. Get the vintech
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

I have the Vintech 473, the 4 channel mic pre. My 737 has gotten no love since I bought the 473. The 737 sounded colorless to me after hearing the Vintech. Great talent => great vocalist => into channel 1 mic pre on Vintech => into UA 1176LN => Apogee Rosetta converter => Pro Tools HD. Works great for me 90% of the time.
Old 6th July 2012
Gear Nut

Neve all day every day . I have an x73 and have tried dozens of pre's . THe 737 is nice but it is not as good as often as anything including good repros (vin tech)
Old 19th August 2012
Lives for gear
Get the Vintech X73i, i sold my Avalon 737 after bought the Vintech. Avalon clear and thin the Vintech clear and phat.
Old 30th August 2012
The 737 is cool for lots of rap vocals, but imho that avalon sound is a little dated. A decade ago everyone was using one with a U87 or C800. If i remember correctly, the compressor was normally doing a little, and the 20k knob was normally cranked up.

The neve sound is much more like what you are hearing on the radio right now. That being said, i second the pacifica or p-1 as my go to rap mic pre--especially with a dynamic (sm7).
Old 30th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know1 View Post
That's a decent mic. Nothing spectacular but can get the job done. If that's the only mic you have, you may want to look at a decent all around pre and pick up a couple more mics.
Idk i think the c414 is a fantastic mic and you'd be hard pressed to find many serious studios that didnt own a few. Also, the nice thing about recording rap vocals is you dont really need all that many mics. I keep a u89, sm7 and 4050 around. I never feel like i dont have the tool for the job.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Old thread but just wanted to mention since I’ve tried both and actually recently traded my Avalon for the Vintech 273... Right away I notice that the Vintech lacks the width that the Avalon had. I punched in on a track that I had recorded previously with the Avalon and recorded 2 bars and then had the old take come in after and compared to the Avalon, the Vintech lacked a lot of width but was more upfront sounding.

If you want a smooth, wide vocal then get the Avalon. If you want a more narrow but upfront vocal, get the Vintech.

I’ve still got to experiment more with it but I’ve tried a few different settings on the Vintech from cranking the output trim and lowering the preamp gain to cranking the preamp and lowering the output trim and can’t get that width out of it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.GrinchSD View Post

What's your microphone?

Personally, If I'm recording rap, I would always go for Avalon VT 737 SP

Any high quality 1073 clone will do the job too, but I prefer 737 for rap

Saman
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

avalon trust me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search