The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are All Of The Major Producer's Dropping Their SSL's, & Neve's? Control Surfaces
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Are All Of The Major Producer's Dropping Their SSL's, & Neve's?

JD dumped his SSL for mixing ITB.

The Neptunes scrapped one of their SSL's for working ITB.

And I wonder are The Neptunes going to dump their other SSL.

Busta Rhymes had a SSL. Wonder if he's actually using it.

Wu Tang had a SSL, & Amek I think. Wonder are they using it.

And I'm sure there are even more major producers doing the same.

What you know. Post it here.

A 777 Subject.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

Didn't WU sell their Amek a long time ago?
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

busta was one of the first major artists to embrace ITB a ways back. it's a fast moving game witht alot of projects going on and instant total recall is a must. having to wait for an hr while recalls r being done is nuts just to turn up the vocals 1 db then another hr to do recalls to move on to the next trk. those engineers that have embraced ITB do a great job on those mixes.
Old 13th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
Didn't WU sell their Amek a long time ago?
No, they sold the studio to Swizz... and they still own the SSL 9000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777
JD dumped his SSL for mixing ITB.

The Neptunes scrapped one of their SSL's for working ITB.

And I wonder are The Neptunes going to dump their other SSL.

Busta Rhymes had a SSL. Wonder if he's actually using it.

Wu Tang had a SSL, & Amek I think. Wonder are they using it.

And I'm sure there are even more major producers doing the same.
There are SOME producers who are selling their analog consoles and replacing them with ICON's, etc. But, people like Just Blaze, Swizz, Wu Tang, Timbaland and most others that can afford it are still using big analog consoles and loving it.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Just Blaze still uses a SSL 4000.

Timbaland still uses a Neve VR.

Dr. Dre still uses SSL 4000, or 8000's.

I assume these facts remain correct.

Correct me if wrong though(because the facts change swiftly).

A 777 Subject.
Old 13th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777
Just Blaze still uses a SSL 4000.

Timbaland still uses a Neve VR.

Dr. Dre still uses SSL 4000, or 8000's.

I assume these facts remain correct.

Correct me if wrong though(because the facts change swiftly).
Yes.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

all r tools. if the song is not a hit ITB it wont be a hit if u use a 4000 or a 9000 to mix it.

i've heard just as many bad mixes on ssl as i have itb. if it was up to me and budget notwithstanding i'd have jimmy douglass "big console" mix every single project i work on. i'd also have Phil Tan "ITB" mix everything as well. im confused! lol!
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

There is a GOOD reason that these ITB plugins are 'emulations' of real gear!

I work ITB all the time but have mixed on consoles too, and whilst on rare occasion i have been happier with my ITB mixes, mostly thats down to not knowing the room i was in well enough to judge whats coming out of the monitors or a dodgy engineer.

There is no escaping the fact that you cant beat the real thing!

Mostly though, it's knowing what your hearing, when i make music in the same room as i listen to loads of the music i love, i get better results... Simple!

So the first thing to do in a bigger facility is jam some of your fav tracks to get familiar with your enviroment, then the odd A-B test will keep you on track throughout your session...

I know, obvious stuff... it's all just a bunch of frequencies competing for a lil space in your ear!

Peace.

Zz.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Dre had a pioneer or something and use to get it done though. Atleast it use to be cool...
Old 13th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps
all r tools. if the song is not a hit ITB it wont be a hit if u use a 4000 or a 9000 to mix it.

Yeah but just because its a hit doesn't mean it sounds good.

It just means it was promoted heavily enough where people thought it was something they "must" have.

To me the best sounding R&B records these days aren't the commercial ones that all sound small,crushed,distorted and loud.

Its the smaller groove/soul type artists that don't get the heavy airplay on BET but on BET J.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

I think the whole 'JD stopped using the SSL' may just be a misunderstanding. I think people say this because he did a Mariah Carey mix ITB. However, I was working at the studio that they did that mix in. Most everything was done in the Big SSL room. However that day I was doing a mix in the big SSL room and they didn't have access to it. They weren't able to find anyplace else, so they had no choice but to mix ITB in a small overdub room with a pro control. I remember the engineer being really unhappy and dissappointed about it.

Maybe since then he decided to do everything in the box for all i know. But I can say the Mariah Carey mix was not mixed ITB by choice. And that's also assuming it's the same Mariah Carey song everyone is talking about (maybe there is more than one for all i know).
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
It just means it was promoted heavily enough where people thought it was something they "must" have.
I dont agree. If that's all it took for a song to be a hit is heavy promotions. Every song by every artist on a major label would be a hit.
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
I dont agree. If that's all it took for a song to be a hit is heavy promotions. Every song by every artist on a major label would be a hit.
Yes and no. There is only so much promo money and most of it goes to "priority" acts.
Old 13th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
Yes and no. There is only so much promo money and most of it goes to "priority" acts.
but not all priority acts have hits
Old 13th June 2006
Quote:

Not every artist gets heavily "shoved down our throats".

But it still goes without saying that now adays its hard to hear what sonically is good and what's not.

Which is a bad place to be because its what up and comers use as a reference.
Old 13th June 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Not every artist gets heavily "shoved down our throats".

But it still goes without saying that now adays its hard to hear what sonically is good and what's not.

Which is a bad place to be because its what up and comers use as a reference.

THAS WASSUP!!!
i could go into detail.. but alota yall prolly thru out them peoples demos quick time.
I wont preach to the choir.
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I listened to JD's mixes up against Dre's mixes, & JD's mixes sounded better.

Mariah Carey(ITB) vs. 50cent(OTB). But, then again I don't know. Tell me what you think. And these were the top selling albums last year.

A 777 Subject.
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Nut

am i the only one here who doesnt know wat an ITB is?
Old 14th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tWoKp.
am i the only one here who doesnt know wat an ITB is?
"In The Box".... Something that was mixed in the computer with no external analog console or summing.
Old 14th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777
I listened to JD's mixes up against Dre's mixes, & JD's mixes sounded better.
You mean Phil Tan's mixes, right? True, he mixed the Mariah stuff ITB, but he also says that a lot of things he would rather mix on an analog console.. Just that project was more suited to working in the DAW.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Everything is such bull**** smoke and mirrors.... all you guys that swear by mixing out of the box, would change your attitude if you were forced into mixing a song itb, and that song became a hit, and people loved it... Its very simple, and it was already stated----its ABSURD to spend any amount of time doing recalls in todays day and age... also, itb allows you to make precision rides that are damn near impossible to make on an ssl... basically, me and you can be equally skilled in creating a great mix, the only difference would be i can recall my mix, anywhere, anytime, and you have to book a studio, an assistant, and an extra hour or two to recall yourz, and that alone makes otb mixing ********....uh...in my opinoin of course!
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Head

Music is not about ease, do whatever is necessary to serve the music. If it sounds better on a console, take the time to do the recalls and do it right. Your audience doesn't care how long it took you.
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterayok
Everything is such bull**** smoke and mirrors.... all you guys that swear by mixing out of the box, would change your attitude if you were forced into mixing a song itb, and that song became a hit, and people loved it... Its very simple, and it was already stated----its ABSURD to spend any amount of time doing recalls in todays day and age... also, itb allows you to make precision rides that are damn near impossible to make on an ssl... basically, me and you can be equally skilled in creating a great mix, the only difference would be i can recall my mix, anywhere, anytime, and you have to book a studio, an assistant, and an extra hour or two to recall yourz, and that alone makes otb mixing ********....uh...in my opinoin of course!
There are lots of good songs that in my opinion don't sound good. But it's a good song so who cares right. I'm not to say that mixing ITB sounds bad I'm just saying mixing OTB you definitely notice a difference.
And yes you are right if the budget isn't there and you have to mix ITB why not however, personally I'd rather a summing section that doesn't have to go thru one processor of 1's & 0's. Mixing ITB theoretically could work if their was one processor per channel....as far as my understanding of it anyway.

lates,
Poly
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
You mean Phil Tan's mixes, right? True, he mixed the Mariah stuff ITB, but he also says that a lot of things he would rather mix on an analog console.. Just that project was more suited to working in the DAW.

Phil Tan is awesome....I am debating whether I should take his mixing class with promedia....
Have you heard any feedback on that class Tony?
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Maniac

"You mean Phil Tan's mixes, right? True, he mixed the Mariah stuff ITB, but he also says that a lot of things he would rather mix on an analog console.. Just that project was more suited to working in the DAW."

-Tony Belmont

I stand corrected(Phil Tan instead of JD for mix credits). I was generalizing based upon who produced the track/tracks.

Also Wyclef Jean had 2 SSL's. Wonder is he using them?

A 777 Subject.
Old 14th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777
Also Wyclef Jean had 2 SSL's. Wonder is he using them?

A 777 Subject.
Yes.
Old 14th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphony
Phil Tan is awesome....I am debating whether I should take his mixing class with promedia....
Have you heard any feedback on that class Tony?
No... those classes are huge money.
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Maniac

a quality sounding mic pre is a quality sounding mic pre, no way around that.

what you do after that is certainly up for debate.
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Maniac

yea ....I thought they were crazy when they told me the price....especially when they said it with a straight face...lol....but in your opinion would it be worth it?

I ask cause I took the PT's certification with them and learned a ton of stuff...
Old 14th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphony
yea ....I thought they were crazy when they told me the price....especially when they said it with a straight face...lol....but in your opinion would it be worth it?

I ask cause I took the PT's certification with them and learned a ton of stuff...
It's tough to say...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search