The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Asr-10 effects
Old 16th June 2012
Gear Nut

Asr-10 effects

Hey guyz,
I've read thru the effects section in the manual a couple times and I'm still confused.
-Can different instruments have different effects at the same time?
-Can the same instrument have multiple effects (not the stock/Rom multi-effect presets i.e. rev+chor etc, but taking any two effects and layering them)?

So as I see it, Rom effects are just presets that are permanently saved in the internal memory, Bank effects are global FX and instruments FX apply to individual instruments.

When a Rom effect is edited it becomes the Bank effect.

Now I just can't seem to figure out how to select what effect is the instrument effect.
In EDIT/EFFECTS you can select which sub-preset or VARIATION for that given preset and then you can go ahead and fine tune those settings. But how do you change the overall instrument effect (i.e. delay instead of reverb) without going to ROM and subsequently changing the bank. Or how do you delete the bank effect altogether?

I've read about the Bussing a little. I think I get how to route TO the buses but I don't understand how to set what each bus affects.

It seems to me like there can only be one effect per instrument unless you use the preset combinations.

Sorry to ramble but this has been a white elephant in the room since I got this thing, while slowly but surely I've been able to solve other problems...

Appreciate the help.
one.
Old 19th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbkeys View Post
Hey guyz,
I've read thru the effects section in the manual a couple times and I'm still confused.
-Can different instruments have different effects at the same time?
-Can the same instrument have multiple effects (not the stock/Rom multi-effect presets i.e. rev+chor etc, but taking any two effects and layering them)?

So as I see it, Rom effects are just presets that are permanently saved in the internal memory, Bank effects are global FX and instruments FX apply to individual instruments.

When a Rom effect is edited it becomes the Bank effect.

Now I just can't seem to figure out how to select what effect is the instrument effect.
In EDIT/EFFECTS you can select which sub-preset or VARIATION for that given preset and then you can go ahead and fine tune those settings. But how do you change the overall instrument effect (i.e. delay instead of reverb) without going to ROM and subsequently changing the bank. Or how do you delete the bank effect altogether?

I've read about the Bussing a little. I think I get how to route TO the buses but I don't understand how to set what each bus affects.

It seems to me like there can only be one effect per instrument unless you use the preset combinations.

Sorry to ramble but this has been a white elephant in the room since I got this thing, while slowly but surely I've been able to solve other problems...

Appreciate the help.
one.
From what i know, you can only run 1 FX algo at a time. This is so you can modulate the parameters in real time, using the wheel, pitch, etc.
This value is usually at the end of the parameters on each FX, scrolling horizontal.
Certain FX like chor reverb DDL gives you 3 options per instrument-
all 3, only chorus or only ddl. there is no "dry" bus, unless you mix down the delay or chorus on the algo.

The only time you can "layer" 2 FX is by resampling (like if you wanted a distortion through flange). The instrument effect will show up when you select the resampled instrument (in this case, [distort.] guitar amp 1). This information with the setting is saved with the instrument and shows up, i guess if you wanted to work with the same effect for another instrument at a later time.
It seems to cause confusion, because the INST. effect shows up, but i believe it is the bottommost selection, then when you scroll up through the FX, you are back in the onboard FX again.

There is a great deal of sound design you can do with this, though with the resampling and parameter controls; you can resample indefinitely through FX over and over again. Once you get accustomed to the interface and menu/buttons in your head, it is not as difficult as it looks.
Old 19th June 2012
Lives for gear

For each effect type there is 4 variations.
Only one effect can be applied per track.
That's where using the sample "main out" comes in handy.
Old 23rd June 2012
Gear Nut

Asr-10 effects

Thanks MixedSignals. My question is are you not losing signal quality everytime you remaster? I guess I could just try it and find out. But, also, do you mixdown your songs through the ASR or do you go into the computer. I kind of thought that it was a good idea to try and save the effect (especially something like reverb) until the mixing process (as opposed to tracking). Do you ever feel like the effects are too permanent that way (using resampling...)?
Just a thought, I'll definitely mess around.

MIDIchlorian, have you ever been able to have separate effects on different instruments? For me, if I change the effect on one instrument, it changes it for the other instruments.

Finally, I see in the Edit:Amp section that it lists busses. But I don't understand how to manipulate the busses...Are they all hardwired?

Thanks.
Old 23rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Those busses are for outputting your 8-16 tracks to a optional outboard expander. Unless you have the rack like me that has the 8 outs built in.

Quote:
Thanks MixedSignals. My question is are you not losing signal quality everytime you remaster? I guess I could just try it and find out. But, also, do you mixdown your songs through the ASR or do you go into the computer. I kind of thought that it was a good idea to try and save the effect (especially something like reverb) until the mixing process (as opposed to tracking). Do you ever feel like the effects are too permanent that way (using resampling...)?

MIDIchlorian, have you ever been able to have separate effects on different instruments? For me, if I change the effect on one instrument, it changes it for the other instruments.

Finally, I see in the Edit:Amp section that it lists busses. But I don't understand how to manipulate the busses...Are they all hardwired?

Thanks.
Old 23rd June 2012
Lives for gear

The busses also allow you to use different variations of an effect on different tracks too...
Old 23rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
The busses also allow you to use different variations of an effect on different tracks too...
Yeah the 4 different variations each effect has.
But still you can only assign on effect per instrument track.
Old 24th June 2012
Gear Nut

"But still you can only assign one effect per instrument track."
One variation per track? or different effect i.e. inst one has multitap dly, inst 2 has gtr amp 1, etc? If its the latter then how do you step-by-step set that up?
Old 3rd July 2012
Gear Nut

The manual saying this makes me confused:

When the FX Select•FX Bypass page is displayed, and FX= INST, pressing a loaded Instrument•Sequence Track button will display that instrument’s effect. This feature provides a quick way to view which effect is assigned to each instrument.

It would seem that different instruments CAN have different effects...
Old 3rd July 2012
Quote:

Thanks.
If you mean signal degradation from resampling, that is what the EQ algo is for. There is plenty of beef there. Use them filters, too.
Old 3rd July 2012
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah but not simultaneously. In other words you can have a reverb on instrument 1 and a delay on instrument 2, so calling up Instrument 1 loads the reverb into the effects processor, and calling up instrument 2 loads the delay. You cannot, however, play both instruments at the same time and hear both effects.
Old 6th February 2013
Here for the gear

how can i change the instruments effect??

it confuses me. i have the ASR10 since one week in use,coming from the MPC wasnt a big problem to understand the ASR10.

I understand the effect section (bus routing, editing etc.) But when i press FX/Bypass Button, set FX=INST and press an Instrument Button nothing changed. Only the Voice and KHZ Value. So whats happend??

I went into Edit/AMP, nothing.

I want to by a DP4 or DP4+ so i`m flexible with the effects and these **** is out interest.
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Head

The most you can do is have each wavesample within an instrument use one effect differently.
Go to edit*instrument
Put out = "wavesample"

Then you can edit each wavesample by edit*amp, and specify what bus you want.

You can edit Bus 1 and Bus 2 differently, so there are different variations of the same effect, but you cannot use more than one effect at a time. Re-sampling does downgrade quality slightly, but not significantly; however, if you're using something like a delay, it'll really hack into your sample time (you'd be sampling the entire tail of the delay, instead of just the length of the regular wavesample).

The ASR's effects are still kick-ass--even today. While you are limited in how many of them you can use at once, you could figure out which ones you like the most, that are unique to the ASR, and put other, more general effects on your samples after you dump the beat into your DAW. Like, if you wanna put reverb AND a filter on a beat, put the reverb on later in your DAW. There's some crazy sh*t in the ASR's onboard fx.
Old 12th February 2013
Quote:
The manual saying this makes me confused:

When the FX Select•FX Bypass page is displayed, and FX= INST, pressing a loaded Instrument•Sequence Track button will display that instrument’s effect. This feature provides a quick way to view which effect is assigned to each instrument.

They can, but the algorithm is assigned, "carried" when an instrument is sampled/resampled thru FX and to my knowledge, fixed.. The only variation in this case in the effects buses in each algorithm, such as delay/chor/rvb.
If you are thinking about having a distortion on one instr. and delay on the other, only one algo can be modulated in real time. You will have to resample the loop or phrase with modulation (wheel, pressure, pitch, etc.) in advance.
There ARE limits being only 16 MB, and any noticeable signal "degredation" is heard when pitching several octaves down. Even then, i think a run thru one of the semitone pitch algos and EQ will compensate.
Any other tips and tricks, feel free to msg. me.
Manuals are generally pretty *&[email protected] it really does take some intuitive planning.
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedSignals View Post
They can, but the algorithm is assigned, "carried" when an instrument is sampled/resampled thru FX and to my knowledge, fixed.. The only variation in this case in the effects buses in each algorithm, such as delay/chor/rvb.
If you are thinking about having a distortion on one instr. and delay on the other, only one algo can be modulated in real time. You will have to resample the loop or phrase with modulation (wheel, pressure, pitch, etc.) in advance.
There ARE limits being only 16 MB, and any noticeable signal "degredation" is heard when pitching several octaves down. Even then, i think a run thru one of the semitone pitch algos and EQ will compensate.
Any other tips and tricks, feel free to msg. me.
Manuals are generally pretty *&[email protected] it really does take some intuitive planning.
Is it possible to add an effect to just 1 key (1 chop)? Or can you only add effects to full instrument tracks?

Thanks.
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Anyone know how to resample into the same instrument?
Old 13th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewarethewolves View Post
Is it possible to add an effect to just 1 key (1 chop)? Or can you only add effects to full instrument tracks?

Thanks.
This is where layers come in.
normally, you assign 1 (by default/enter) middle c as the root key. instead, take a sample and assign it to the lowest C. then take another sample to same instrument, but the "new" prompt shows up when you hit the same instrument/track in the last underscore. after sampling, assign it to a higher key. it should show up as number (or whatever) 3. repeat process until you run out of keyboard. Sample number 2s and 4s, etc are saved for the next layer.
This SHOULD open up a new world for you, as eventually you discover what all the talk about filtering and EQ is about.
You can also adjust the pitch of each sample, to keep track, make the C into a C#. Somewhere in there you can assign it to ONLY play the root key, because after a time, you might lose track in your head of which sample is where in the workflow; especially working with loops of different tempo or pitch.
Generally, i have 5 or 6 samples on one instrument 1-9, like for a drum set. Say you want to layer another snare on sample 1 again. this time, under the layer selection, it should say "new" if you scroll up. then you assign that one to same key. it might show up as 2R or 3R or something to that effect. TO add another layer to 3 (which might be your kick), repeat process, hitting same root key and you can add layers on up the keyboard again for each sample.
This is what is deceiving about the ASR- even though it only has 8 tracks, you can have 32 easily. When sampling stereo, keep the default pan setting, if you pan it, it turns to mono (and usually louder). This is great for really building your own drum sets (and with re-sampling) loops from scratch.
Use the legato feature on the instrument with several samples and each one will cut each other off, (as in wobble phrases or loops) or lengthen the envelope time for a trigger effect and sometimes helps with timing. And yes, you can have different FX for each sample- fixed, of course.
It really IS for loops, as the sequencer is a bit sketchy. Usually i just double-up on the tempo to keep it tighter, if need be.
Some things are just not going to flow and with stereo samples, adjustment of the pitch changes the resolution a bit and editing is surgical. It's kind of forget grid-style and even the clock readouts and trust your feel.
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedSignals View Post
This is where layers come in.
normally, you assign 1 (by default/enter) middle c as the root key. instead, take a sample and assign it to the lowest C. then take another sample to same instrument, but the "new" prompt shows up when you hit the same instrument/track in the last underscore. after sampling, assign it to a higher key. it should show up as number (or whatever) 3. repeat process until you run out of keyboard. Sample number 2s and 4s, etc are saved for the next layer.
This SHOULD open up a new world for you, as eventually you discover what all the talk about filtering and EQ is about.
You can also adjust the pitch of each sample, to keep track, make the C into a C#. Somewhere in there you can assign it to ONLY play the root key, because after a time, you might lose track in your head of which sample is where in the workflow; especially working with loops of different tempo or pitch.
Generally, i have 5 or 6 samples on one instrument 1-9, like for a drum set. Say you want to layer another snare on sample 1 again. this time, under the layer selection, it should say "new" if you scroll up. then you assign that one to same key. it might show up as 2R or 3R or something to that effect. TO add another layer to 3 (which might be your kick), repeat process, hitting same root key and you can add layers on up the keyboard again for each sample.
This is what is deceiving about the ASR- even though it only has 8 tracks, you can have 32 easily. When sampling stereo, keep the default pan setting, if you pan it, it turns to mono (and usually louder). This is great for really building your own drum sets (and with re-sampling) loops from scratch.
Use the legato feature on the instrument with several samples and each one will cut each other off, (as in wobble phrases or loops) or lengthen the envelope time for a trigger effect and sometimes helps with timing. And yes, you can have different FX for each sample- fixed, of course.
It really IS for loops, as the sequencer is a bit sketchy. Usually i just double-up on the tempo to keep it tighter, if need be.
Some things are just not going to flow and with stereo samples, adjustment of the pitch changes the resolution a bit and editing is surgical. It's kind of forget grid-style and even the clock readouts and trust your feel.
Thanks very much for the detailed reply bro! I haven't actually got an ASR-10 yet so this is kind of hard for me to grasp, maybe when I cop one it will start to make more sense.

I have bookmarked this thread to look back on in the future anyway. Thanks again man!
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Just get it
Old 13th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 View Post
Yeah but not simultaneously. In other words you can have a reverb on instrument 1 and a delay on instrument 2, so calling up Instrument 1 loads the reverb into the effects processor, and calling up instrument 2 loads the delay. You cannot, however, play both instruments at the same time and hear both effects.
I'm using the AKAI ASQ-10 to sequence the ASR-10. I use the ASR-10 as a controller to send MIDI to the AKAI ASQ-10. Using this method I can play all 8 instruments on the ASR-10 without selecting a different inst button (by turning local off on the selected inst). I'm still relatively new to both of these pieces of equipment - and am not yet resampling the main outs/creating multilayered instruments. If I assign a different effect to each instrument using the method above, will they be heard simultaneously?

Thanks
Old 15th August 2019
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dada View Post
I'm using the AKAI ASQ-10 to sequence the ASR-10. I use the ASR-10 as a controller to send MIDI to the AKAI ASQ-10. Using this method I can play all 8 instruments on the ASR-10 without selecting a different inst button (by turning local off on the selected inst). I'm still relatively new to both of these pieces of equipment - and am not yet resampling the main outs/creating multilayered instruments. If I assign a different effect to each instrument using the method above, will they be heard simultaneously?

Thanks
No. Only one effect algorithm (either the bank effect or one of the instrument effects) will be activated and heard at any given time. All instruments routed to effects will be routed through whichever effect algorithm is active. There is only one effects processor chip in the ASR-10. For reference, the DP-4 has four of these effects processor chips, and thus can generate four effects simultaneously.
Old 16th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
No. Only one effect algorithm (either the bank effect or one of the instrument effects) will be activated and heard at any given time. All instruments routed to effects will be routed through whichever effect algorithm is active. There is only one effects processor chip in the ASR-10. For reference, the DP-4 has four of these effects processor chips, and thus can generate four effects simultaneously.
Ok thanks. I've seen the waveboy parallel effects disk for sale.. does that make it possible?
Old 16th August 2019
mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dada View Post
Ok thanks. I've seen the waveboy parallel effects disk for sale.. does that make it possible?
The waveboy parallel effects is actually a single effect algorithm that runs up to 4 sub-effects inside the one effects chip. It does make multiple effects possible, but it is still technically one effect algorithm running on the effects processor chip. With some careful setup you should be able to get a few different effects going simultaneously on your various instruments. I've never used that effects disk so I can't offer you any more info on it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
The waveboy parallel effects is actually a single effect algorithm that runs up to 4 sub-effects inside the one effects chip. It does make multiple effects possible, but it is still technically one effect algorithm running on the effects processor chip. With some careful setup you should be able to get a few different effects going simultaneously on your various instruments. I've never used that effects disk so I can't offer you any more info on it.
Ok. Thanks for your help!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search