The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The worst vocal sound of the year goes to....... Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 8th June 2006
  #1
Lives for gear
 
illynoise's Avatar
 

The worst vocal sound of the year goes to.......

Farnsworth Bentley, "Laid Back". Sounds like it was recorded in my closet. No joke.

Produced by none other than Kanye West, from what I hear.

BaseJase
Illynoise
Old 8th June 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 

thats his performance though, i dont think its the "sound"----its a shame cause that dude is actually pretty cool, i heard some other stuff that wasnt that bad
Old 8th June 2006
  #3
Lives for gear
come on...it sounds a lot better than most of the indie down south sh*t.

a lot of that stuff sounds like a bad recording done with a '57.

To the average dumb fan it makes no difference...they just want that laffy taffy with their white tee or whatever.
Old 8th June 2006
  #4
Lives for gear
 
djui5's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise
Farnsworth Bentley, "Laid Back". Sounds like it was recorded in my closet. No joke.

When did this fokker start doing music? First he's puffy's umbrella bitch, then he was managing some group, and now he's a performer? WTF?



Speaking of bad vocal tracks, what's with Shakiras track feat Wyclef? Her vocals don't sit in the mix in any way shape or form, and sound dull and muffled compared to everything else. Plus they're way too loud....ahhhh
Old 8th June 2006
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
HeatWAVS's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
When did this fokker start doing music? First he's puffy's umbrella bitch, then he was managing some group, and now he's a performer? WTF?



Speaking of bad vocal tracks, what's with Shakiras track feat Wyclef? Her vocals don't sit in the mix in any way shape or form, and sound dull and muffled compared to everything else. Plus they're way too loud....ahhhh
agrees... but did you know that song just became the highest spun radio single in history... I guess the hips really don't lie... lol
Old 8th June 2006
  #6
Lives for gear
 
djui5's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatWAVS
agrees... but did you know that song just became the highest spun radio single in history... I guess the hips really don't lie... lol

Wouldn't shock me, Shakir and Wyclef...Wyclef along brings a lot of weight to a track. He didn't buy that McClaren F1 sittin on the couch
Old 8th June 2006
  #7
Dor
Lives for gear
 
Dor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
Wouldn't shock me, Shakir and Wyclef...Wyclef along brings a lot of weight to a track. He didn't buy that McClaren F1 sittin on the couch
Nope, he bought it off of Lauren's talent hahaha.
Old 8th June 2006
  #8
Lives for gear
 
djui5's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor
Nope, he bought it off of Lauren's talent hahaha.

haha! That's "below the belt"
Old 8th June 2006
  #9
Gear Addict
 

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=76845034

I had no choice but to look this up. Granted that this is off of Myspace, but you can tell this sounds like complete sh**.

At times it seems like he's trying to rap like Kanye too.....that sing songey kind of flow. Sick beat though..no surprise there.

Old 10th June 2006
  #10
Lives for gear
 
illynoise's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I <3 The Beatle
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=76845034

I had no choice but to look this up. Granted that this is off of Myspace, but you can tell this sounds like complete sh**.

At times it seems like he's trying to rap like Kanye too.....that sing songey kind of flow. Sick beat though..no surprise there.

They are playing it on the Radio out here a lot, goes to show you that quality doesn't matter in the Ipod age.

The other song on the myspace page is on Da Bands album I'm told, so that's a different album I guess.

BaseJase
Illynoise
Old 10th June 2006
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Lets get to the mixing.
Old 10th June 2006
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5

Speaking of bad vocal tracks, what's with Shakiras track feat Wyclef? Her vocals don't sit in the mix in any way shape or form, and sound dull and muffled compared to everything else. Plus they're way too loud....ahhhh

I notice that as well... actually if you hear alot of Shakira's tracks her vocals are always mixed "out of the track" and are always super-duper loud... I think cause she sings in such a low regisgter you have to crank her up or she won't compete with the music... I personally LOVE that effect... it's really different and works for her... won't work on just anyone...

r.
Old 10th June 2006
  #13
Lives for gear
 
djui5's Avatar
 

Eric mixed one of her records and I thought it sounded amazing. He got the vocal to stick out but it still sounded like part of the mix. This is very hard to do.
But on that song with Wyclef she sounds disconnected from the mix entirely, like someone pushed it too far. Who mixed that song? Does anyone know?

Sorry to "distract" the thread.
Old 10th June 2006
  #14
Here for the gear
 

anyone else listen to the Unpredictable song by Jamie Foxx...more specifically the remix with Ludacris?

wtf is up with luda's vocals? they sound like complete trash on that song, like he rapped through a megaphone into the mic.


and from what i heard thats a jimmy douglass mix...

i guess these old guys ARE getting lazy
Old 1st June 2007
  #15
Here for the gear
 

Hips Don't Lie ** TERRIBLE MIX **

The song was mixed in NYC by Serge Tsai I think he is Wyclef's guy.

Who knows maybe he was just looking at her hips... :-)
Old 1st June 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
Farnsworth Bentley, "Laid Back". Sounds like it was recorded in my closet. No joke.

Produced by none other than Kanye West, from what I hear.

BaseJase
Illynoise
aaargh... drop that mic... pleeeeease!
Old 1st June 2007
  #17
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post

Speaking of bad vocal tracks, what's with Shakiras track feat Wyclef? Her vocals don't sit in the mix in any way shape or form, and sound dull and muffled compared to everything else. Plus they're way too loud....ahhhh
Speaking of Wyclef and bad vocal tracks - I think the guy is tone deaf. Take away the Auto Tune and you are left with a dying goat. anyone ever hear him live? I saw some show and his performance was a joke. I think the guy sucks all around -singing and songwriting, everything.

dfegad Wyclef.

..flame this post, see what I care...

Last edited by stereobot; 1st June 2007 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: to increase the bashing.
Old 2nd June 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
soundeq's Avatar
 

You guys forget lots of times as a mixer, our clients ask us to do things that we may not "like" but it is ultimatly their song... I know that Shakira REALLLYY needs her voice to sit WAY out in front of the track... and she will have you recall the mix "vocal up please", and recall it again "up some more", and recall once more "just a bit more" until she has it where she likes it...
Add the artist, producer, A&R, label prez, and you have lots of people sticking their "finger" in the mix, often times to the mixers disaproval. I don't care if your a Wallace or lord alge, clearmountin, or Staub... Artists have MUCH bigger ego's than any mixer ever will. And will ask for everything and anything.

I'll fight for a few things that I think are important, I'll say "your paying me too much for my opinion to mix it your way". Ultimatly at the end of the day, if they insist, I'll either say, I'm not mixing this song anymore (if it really fu*&#$s it up) or I'll do it their way. But I'll inform them I think it's a mistake, and they, again, are paying me too much to mix it "their way".

Little things like "I need the hi-hat up .5 db or ****, i usually dont care about, it really isn't gonna make the song differernt, and do what I call "need to put my finger in the mix BS" no problem... fine, you think the mix will be soooooo much better with that syth line or string pad up .25db I'll do it no prob.

I can't comment on the mix of Laid back, or the tracking, perhaps your hearing some crappy mp3 or somthing... I do like fonzworth, I think he'll be real popular with the 18-30 Female crowd, i have seen it in person. While his music isn't exactly my cup of tea, I think he could do well.
Old 2nd June 2007
  #19
Gear Guru
 
rickrock305's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeq View Post
I don't care if your a Wallace or lord alge, clearmountin, or Staub... Artists have MUCH bigger ego's than any mixer ever will. And will ask for everything and anything.


if your a wallace or a lord alge, you just tell them to piss off heh
Old 2nd June 2007
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolout View Post
come on...it sounds a lot better than most of the indie down south sh*t.

a lot of that stuff sounds like a bad recording done with a '57.

To the average dumb fan it makes no difference...they just want that laffy taffy with their white tee or whatever.

dfegad Coolout

You're a joke ass hater. Don't hate cause the south doing thangs. And yea a lot of indie south sounds just like it's supposed to. Mixtapeish. The real CDs get mixed and mastered if they have a budget. U did say indie like a dude in a bedroom, closet, living room, his potna crib, that old garage, beat up house transformed studio. We gettin bucks down here and u seem all upset about it. And why u callin fans dumb. Wtf are u in music for. Let ppl do what they do. Oh and I guess u rockin suites and ****. If u don't like the style move away. If u still hearing it u ain't moved far enuf. Or turn off the radio. Or make something so spectacular that the whole game shifts to ur style. If not STFU. Hating on tha south. U don't know about this.
Old 2nd June 2007
  #21
JDN
Lives for gear
 
JDN's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
if your a wallace or a lord alge, you just tell them to piss off heh
wow...are you really that naive. Even the best mixers have to cater to the A&R, producers, and artists wishes....that's just the way it works...It's even worse for mastering engineers who always get the "make the song louder" speach.
Old 2nd June 2007
  #22
Gear Maniac
 
ONE LUV's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
Nope, he bought it off of Lauren's talent hahaha.
haha yeah, nice one!!!
Old 2nd June 2007
  #23
Lives for gear
 
s.d.finley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 View Post
dfegad Coolout

You're a joke ass hater. Don't hate cause the south doing thangs. And yea a lot of indie south sounds just like it's supposed to. Mixtapeish. The real CDs get mixed and mastered if they have a budget. U did say indie like a dude in a bedroom, closet, living room, his potna crib, that old garage, beat up house transformed studio. We gettin bucks down here and u seem all upset about it. And why u callin fans dumb. Wtf are u in music for. Let ppl do what they do. Oh and I guess u rockin suites and ****. If u don't like the style move away. If u still hearing it u ain't moved far enuf. Or turn off the radio. Or make something so spectacular that the whole game shifts to ur style. If not STFU. Hating on tha south. U don't know about this.
H-Town in da Hizz-ous!!!

Old 2nd June 2007
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Stitch333's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeq View Post
I'll fight for a few things that I think are important, I'll say "your paying me too much for my opinion to mix it your way". Ultimatly at the end of the day, if they insist, I'll either say, I'm not mixing this song anymore (if it really fu*&#$s it up) or I'll do it their way. But I'll inform them I think it's a mistake, and they, again, are paying me too much to mix it "their way".

Little things like "I need the hi-hat up .5 db or ****, i usually dont care about, it really isn't gonna make the song differernt, and do what I call "need to put my finger in the mix BS" no problem... fine, you think the mix will be soooooo much better with that syth line or string pad up .25db I'll do it no prob.
All very true.
Fun thing to do is when they ask for that snare to be .5db louder, wait 20 mins and send them the same mix. 9 times out of 10 they'll say, 'thats much better' ....
Its ********...
Old 3rd June 2007
  #25
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I <3 The Beatle View Post
Invalid User

I had no choice but to look this up. Granted that this is off of Myspace, but you can tell this sounds like complete sh**.

At times it seems like he's trying to rap like Kanye too.....that sing songey kind of flow. Sick beat though..no surprise there.

Invalid Friend ID.
This user has either cancelled their membership, or their account has been deleted.



^^^^^
WHAT THE FREAKING HELL? DOG.
Old 3rd June 2007
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 View Post
dfegad Coolout

You're a joke ass hater. Don't hate cause the south doing thangs. And yea a lot of indie south sounds just like it's supposed to. Mixtapeish. The real CDs get mixed and mastered if they have a budget. U did say indie like a dude in a bedroom, closet, living room, his potna crib, that old garage, beat up house transformed studio. We gettin bucks down here and u seem all upset about it. And why u callin fans dumb. Wtf are u in music for. Let ppl do what they do. Oh and I guess u rockin suites and ****. If u don't like the style move away. If u still hearing it u ain't moved far enuf. Or turn off the radio. Or make something so spectacular that the whole game shifts to ur style. If not STFU. Hating on tha south. U don't know about this.
Wooooooooooow............

lol
Old 3rd June 2007
  #27
Lives for gear
 
t.dizzle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeq View Post
Artists have MUCH bigger ego's than any mixer ever will.
This isn't always true. In fact, sometimes the mixer's ego is the problem when the artist/producer asks us to do things that we don't really like to do. But if we drop our ego for a moment and realize that it's really their music, their voice, their sound and understand that artists on the level of a Shakira know what they want to hear, then sometimes we can push ourselves to work harder and find ways to make everyone happy. And in the end, that only makes us better at what we do.

But the A&R dude - dfegad
Old 6th June 2007
  #28
Gear Maniac
 
World Of Wiz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 View Post
dfegad Coolout

You're a joke ass hater. Don't hate cause the south doing thangs. And yea a lot of indie south sounds just like it's supposed to. Mixtapeish. The real CDs get mixed and mastered if they have a budget. U did say indie like a dude in a bedroom, closet, living room, his potna crib, that old garage, beat up house transformed studio. We gettin bucks down here and u seem all upset about it. And why u callin fans dumb. Wtf are u in music for. Let ppl do what they do. Oh and I guess u rockin suites and ****. If u don't like the style move away. If u still hearing it u ain't moved far enuf. Or turn off the radio. Or make something so spectacular that the whole game shifts to ur style. If not STFU. Hating on tha south. U don't know about this.
You guys down south are not getting that much paper. Hip Hop sales are down 36%. As much as they burnLafft Taffy and snap music on the radio it didn't sell well.
Old 7th June 2007
  #29
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Of Wiz View Post
You guys down south are not getting that much paper. Hip Hop sales are down 36%. As much as they burnLafft Taffy and snap music on the radio it didn't sell well.
Yea thats kool and dandy. I'm just saying no one should hate on a different region and different strokes for different folks. Sales don't mean much down south. Well Texas particularly. Sales are hand to hand no tracking really. But there is money flowing through the south. Enough to draw ppl's attention and make them forever hate the snap, walk it out, 2 step, laffy taffy, etc. That stuff is selling. Why hate on a product that's selling. I would think the whole point of this is to put out a product that everyone likes or tha majority. If ppl like it. Put it out. Let the ppl be the judge. If they dance to it kool. If they don't kool. But criticizing a style or a way is stupid. Just cause you (not u particularly) don't like it. If it's making its way into pop culture then let it be. If the new style was to start hanging on the corner again and banging trash cans and rappin to a beat I wouldn't knock it. **** I'd join it. It's certain music I don't listen to, but I don't say that its garbage and ppl who listen to it are stupid or simple or slow or whatever ole dude said. If I don't like it I just don't listen to it. If I was asked my opinion about it I would give my opinion on it, but I wouldn't say fans are stupid and that the whole creative process that many ppl are emulating is garbage. Thats just rediculous.
Old 7th June 2007
  #30
Gear Maniac
 
TheGetDown's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 View Post
I would think the whole point of this is to put out a product that everyone likes or tha majority.

um actually the whole point is to put out music that the artist is feeling, not to sell a producttutt ....I mean thats the way it SHOULD beheh
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
celebritymusic / So much gear, so little time
0
beatzz / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
5
tuchel / Chuck Ainlay, Ed Cherney, Frank Filipetti, George Massenburg, Elliot Scheiner, Al Schmitt
26
momagoose / So much gear, so little time
0
logic / So much gear, so little time
10

Forum Jump
Forum Jump