The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The worst vocal sound of the year goes to....... Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 8th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGetDown View Post
um actually the whole point is to put out music that the artist is feeling, not to sell a producttutt ....I mean thats the way it SHOULD beheh
Well yea u right. I'd say the happy medium between the artists creativity, and then translating that to a mainstream audience or narrowcasting that to a select audience with the possibility of going mainstream.
Old 8th June 2007
Gear Nut

im not a hater or nothin

But the fact is....southern hip hop sucks. And first off im sick of people sayin im hatin cuz they gettin money or soemthin.....thats the stupidest **** to say....100% of all these artists on TV and radio are gettin more money than me so that has nothing to do with it. I judge music by just that....the music. And quite simply southern hip hop has dummed down the audience. Hip Hop is supposed to be about progression and getting better....trying new things. Southern hip hop seems to be the total opposite of that. 90% of it has practically the same drums sounds with the redundant clap in every single song, along with about 4 single notes maximum in every song. Now if your a 5 year old....sure you can get by on that ****....but im a grown man. I've listened to everything from jazz, hip hop, soul, reggae, rock and everything you can imagine. I've heard amazing chord progressions, mind blowing jazz recordings with the utmost musicianship and talent, as well as hip hop producers pushing the limits of samples, arranging them im such soulful and creative ways, creating unique drum sounds and in general just pushing the limit and being creative..............And then here we have southern rap......practically same hi hat, kick , and clap sound in every song released, with 4 notes of some played out synth sound.....and lyrics that say nothing more than how to perform some corny lookin dance. Sure....southern hip hop has its place for people with no musical knowledge whatsoever, but myself as a grown man....i need somethin a little more andvanced. southern hip hop now is nothing more than a corny formula record labels are using to suck every last bit of dollar they can out of the consumers. All you people who support the south dont even understand that once the south loses enough record sales, which seems to be the case, its gona be thrown away like garbage. South needs to step the game up musically and start being a little more creative and break out of its box for it to survive.m People can only listen to somethin that monotonous for so long.
Old 8th June 2007
Gear Nut

P.S.

this is totally unrelated.......but if Swizz Beats can get up on the mic now and people are feelin him.......then the rap game has definately lost its quality. peace!!!!!
Old 8th June 2007
Lives for gear

^I do wish he'd get off the mic. It grates on my nerves...
Old 8th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinitysound View Post
But the fact is....southern hip hop sucks. And first off im sick of people sayin im hatin cuz they gettin money or soemthin.....thats the stupidest **** to say....100% of all these artists on TV and radio are gettin more money than me so that has nothing to do with it. I judge music by just that....the music. And quite simply southern hip hop has dummed down the audience. Hip Hop is supposed to be about progression and getting better....trying new things. Southern hip hop seems to be the total opposite of that. 90% of it has practically the same drums sounds with the redundant clap in every single song, along with about 4 single notes maximum in every song. Now if your a 5 year old....sure you can get by on that ****....but im a grown man. I've listened to everything from jazz, hip hop, soul, reggae, rock and everything you can imagine. I've heard amazing chord progressions, mind blowing jazz recordings with the utmost musicianship and talent, as well as hip hop producers pushing the limits of samples, arranging them im such soulful and creative ways, creating unique drum sounds and in general just pushing the limit and being creative..............And then here we have southern rap......practically same hi hat, kick , and clap sound in every song released, with 4 notes of some played out synth sound.....and lyrics that say nothing more than how to perform some corny lookin dance. Sure....southern hip hop has its place for people with no musical knowledge whatsoever, but myself as a grown man....i need somethin a little more andvanced. southern hip hop now is nothing more than a corny formula record labels are using to suck every last bit of dollar they can out of the consumers. All you people who support the south dont even understand that once the south loses enough record sales, which seems to be the case, its gona be thrown away like garbage. South needs to step the game up musically and start being a little more creative and break out of its box for it to survive.m People can only listen to somethin that monotonous for so long.
Devin Da Dude is Southern Hip/Hop........do you think he sux?

You want to be a "Regional Prick" and Hate on ALL southern hip hop? You are going to make a blanket acusation and condemn all Southern hiphop you have not heard?

Turn off the Fukkin radio and go out on the streets!

Old 9th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i didnt say ALL southern hip hop sucks so dont put words in my mouth jackass. Maybe you need to learn how to read because I specifically said ........90% OF SOUTHERN HIP HOP. learn how to read genius. Obviously theres going to be some southern artists that break out of that "southern style" box. Im speaking of the general sound and style of southern hip hop....if you cant understand that simple concept then your obviously an idiot. Most of it sucks. plain and simple. and second i used to bump southern hip hop out the ass back in the 90's. only because back then it was fresh and it was creative. now its just a formula. anyoneo who cant admit that is deaf and in denial. I give props to whoever makes good music no matter where their from. Most southern hip hop doesnt have anything to give props to anymore. Im not lovin new york rap or west coast rap either but at least its not as corny as southern ****.
U are the jackass. Southern rap sucks. Shut tha **** up. U suck for saying that ****. Don't **** with southern artists. Whatever u do music related be sure to diss the south. U just a hater anyway. I bet if u had a southern artist that's hot tryna work with u, u'd be all on his nutz. U're rediculous. The **** is selling, chics dancing to it, clubs are packed behind it, trunks rattle with it and so what if it's a formula, and it could be the simplest formula. Who cares. Aunt Jemima has recipes and then the just add water kind. Take some time to explore more than the hits that get put on the radio. **** it don't explore just keep hating on the ****. Whatever. I don't listen to country, but I wouldn't say that was the most garbage **** out just cause i don't like it. If u dont like it just don't like it. Idk why ppl gotta open they mouth with them wack ass opinion. Nobody gives a **** that u think south is ****. I think everything u say is **** so fuuck. Ain't nobody tryna hear you're wack ass opinion anyway.
Old 9th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ain't nobody tryna hear you're wack ass opinion anyway.
The same statement can be said about nearly anyone.... wait, even you, Gasp! EVEN ME>???
Old 9th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Eric mixed one of her records and I thought it sounded amazing. He got the vocal to stick out but it still sounded like part of the mix. This is very hard to do.
But on that song with Wyclef she sounds disconnected from the mix entirely, like someone pushed it too far. Who mixed that song? Does anyone know?

Sorry to "distract" the thread.

funny you say that! I started a thread about the same thing...that shakira song still blows my mind!! WTF is up with the vocals in that mix! its one of the worst things I have EVER heard!! tutt
Old 9th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeq View Post
The same statement can be said about nearly anyone.... wait, even you, Gasp! EVEN ME>???
U're right. I tried not to impart my opinion, especially something so narrowminded, but I'm done with this. I started my lil mini riot for the year. Off I go to make some southern music. Where them hataz at where them hataz at mannnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 9th June 2007
Gear Nut

jikkyboy

well i'd argue with you but whats the point. your obviously one of the losers that thinks southern hip hop is great. like i said before........"Sure....southern hip hop has its place for people with no musical knowledge whatsoever...." well i guess that answers what category you fall into. Your right jikky why bother givin my opinion....after all....simple minded ******s need music to bump too right???? face it dude everyone hates on the south for a reason...cuz its a total joke. And damn right im gona give my opinion. Im sick of people tryin to talk **** as if they've never given their opinion....as if you've never said an artist sucked jikkiboy....wake the **** up. All down south does it make one hit wonders ....then they fade away...thats why you see a new corny artist poppin up everyday. the record labels are just pimpin the south like a bunch of hoes. Have fun bein pimped Jikki
Old 9th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i didnt say ALL southern hip hop sucks so dont put words in my mouth jackass. Maybe you need to learn how to read because I specifically said ........90% OF SOUTHERN HIP HOP. learn how to read genius. Obviously theres going to be some southern artists that break out of that "southern style" box. Im speaking of the general sound and style of southern hip hop....if you cant understand that simple concept then your obviously an idiot. Most of it sucks. plain and simple. and second i used to bump southern hip hop out the ass back in the 90's. only because back then it was fresh and it was creative. now its just a formula. anyoneo who cant admit that is deaf and in denial. I give props to whoever makes good music no matter where their from. Most southern hip hop doesnt have anything to give props to anymore. Im not lovin new york rap or west coast rap either but at least its not as corny as southern ****.

90%.......100%.......90%......100%.....

How silly of me to be confused. You only HATE 90% of southern rap....NOT 100%

I think 90% of popular muzak sux.

So much hatred for the South.

There is Corny **** all over the place.

You jus keep Hatin........
Old 9th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
well i'd argue with you but whats the point. your obviously one of the losers that thinks southern hip hop is great. like i said before........"Sure....southern hip hop has its place for people with no musical knowledge whatsoever...." well i guess that answers what category you fall into. Your right jikky why bother givin my opinion....after all....simple minded ******s need music to bump too right???? face it dude everyone hates on the south for a reason...cuz its a total joke. And damn right im gona give my opinion. Im sick of people tryin to talk **** as if they've never given their opinion....as if you've never said an artist sucked jikkiboy....wake the **** up. All down south does it make one hit wonders ....then they fade away...thats why you see a new corny artist poppin up everyday. the record labels are just pimpin the south like a bunch of hoes. Have fun bein pimped Jikki
Whatever shut ur pussy ass up hater. Actually everyone doesn't hate on the south. Right now it looks like u the one who's hating but keep on hating. I usually try not to judge artists. I don't feel it's my place. I let the fans do that. If i feel they suck I would never disrespect they hustle by saying **** like that. Every man can get it by whatever means. The proof is in the pudding. If I don't like it I don't listen. Even if someone asked me their opinion, if it ain't a close friend why even start some bull**** so the next man can say I'm hating on him. I burn no bridges and I plan to mingle in everything. I'll just let u be motivation sucka. And record labels pimping..... What a ****in joke. Southern artist don't look to go major. The majors come to us. It's already been established that we can sell our music hand to hand and out tha trunk. WE hop in a rental and move all over doing our shows and ****. We have a nice lil system down here. We gettin paper majors wish they had. Hate all day. I don't give a ****. I never heard the **** u said to my face so u keep internet thuggin and if I do come across someone who calls me dumb for making southern music or jammin southern music I will be sure to put his fronts in his throat in rememberance of u. And that's J-I-K-K-Y! Get a life ol' foolish ass boy!
Old 10th June 2007
Gear Nut

lets be serious

Southern artists need to learn how to produce better tracks and learn how to spit some actual ****in flows for once. And sayin that you dont judge music makes you a fool. We see what happens when all these record execs and A&Rs stop judging music.....they fill the industry with a bunch of wack ass artists with no musical talent. They stopped judging music for what it is .....music, and started judging whats gona make the most money. Music is supposed to be an art before a business. South got the money where the music is supposed to be .....number 1. record labels are runnin the south like an assembly line....new artist every week with the same one hit wonder formula. No substance whatsoever.
Old 10th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Southern artists need to learn how to produce better tracks and learn how to spit some actual ****in flows for once. And sayin that you dont judge music makes you a fool. We see what happens when all these record execs and A&Rs stop judging music.....they fill the industry with a bunch of wack ass artists with no musical talent. They stopped judging music for what it is .....music, and started judging whats gona make the most money. Music is supposed to be an art before a business. South got the money where the music is supposed to be .....number 1. record labels are runnin the south like an assembly line....new artist every week with the same one hit wonder formula. No substance whatsoever.
I don't have to judge. I'll leave that for the record execs. Imma say this and be done. My stance is yea i love southern music, I rock that **** like no tomorrow, but all that dance **** u hear is pop south. I listen to **** with substance too. The music is catering to the audience and a lifestyle. Stunnin, flossin, bangin bad chics, getting the most dough, outshining the next person. But I see it just as a who can talk the most **** contest. It's like playing dominoes or cards. Ppl just having fun. Don't rain on the parade. If u don't like it just side step it. I have dreams of being a producer. A producer. It'll start with southern rap, maybe independent films, maybe a lil orchestration and jazz, the blues, rock, techno, house, eastcoast rap, westcoast, midwest, latino, whatever I can get my hands on. I can tell you I don't know **** about producing that stuff, but I plan to learn. There's formulas to everything. Throw a lil twist in the formula and u come with something unique yet appealing. I don't put anything that can generate cashflow on a ****list. Southern rap has proven it can pull in dough no matter what ur opinion is. Yea music is about the art. Just so happens you don't like the southern art. That's kool. Sure but food gotta make it to the table, lights aren't magic. I love the art and I will use it to bring the dough. If the style switches I'm switching right with it. I go with the flow. I don't bash other genres or styles. If I find it appealing I listen, I don't bash the whole dam thang. That's like an orchestrator telling jazz that the style is wack. Anyway I'm rambling. I'm done.
Old 10th June 2007
Gear Maniac

i think rap in the south right now is kinda like rap in the 80s.

there was alot of groups that came out on independents that weren't that good, but major labels needed to pick up rap for there labels.

i think there is some good stuff out the south and alot of bad because labels are signing alot of acts from the south, good or bad because the south is hot.

jeezy,T.I.,Outkast,CeeLo,Rich Boy,and others are hot no matter where there from,
these cats are talented

theres gonna be trash from all areas of music, north south east and west
Old 12th June 2007
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, from the north, all the mainstream songs are weak, I wouldnt say trash, but just too weak to turn any heads from other regions.

I got some great collaborations set up in NY to get myself started, hopefully then ppl will start paying more attention to the north, and hip hop sales will raise back up again.

Its our turn up here to pimp the game.

Lights, and food for the table is a lot more expensive up these ways lol.
Old 12th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Everybody has had a turn. And everytime they get a turn they mess it up. I think T.I. was the only one who sold over one million units. Last year.

Yeah you can sell out the trunk of your car but when a major picks alot these acts, they fall to catch fire outside of their area. Most people do not want to hear a song about somebody who has rims that are worth more than the car they are on.
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

True but it has it's place. But the same can go for battle rapping. Alotta ppl I know don't like it. I do. It has it's place. I watch it for humor, but battle rapping is all fiction and ranking on the next person. I'm not sure where it originated. I wanna say the East Coast, but I'm not sure. It's pretty popular there. It seems to me eastcoast is mainly lyricism and battlerapping, westcoast is mainly gangbang and hyphe, south (dirty 3rd coast) is stunnin, crunk, dance, and screw. It all has a place with me. I'd love to see a rapgroup get together and put all that together with success. Eh maybe that's too much.

@PettyCash

Yea I bet stuff it there is way more expensive. Like here we mainly wear T's and shorts. I went to visit my cousin in Detroit and he has a closet for just coats. I have 2. I don't know if they run cheaper up there, but they expensive as hell here. I was like wtf u got all these coats for??? Lol we were joking about how in the summer red cross gives out boxfans and window ac units here. Up north they give out coats, scarfs, and heaters.
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

relax nerds, I thought this topic was about the worst vocals.
Old 14th June 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 View Post
@PettyCash

Yea I bet stuff it there is way more expensive. Like here we mainly wear T's and shorts. I went to visit my cousin in Detroit and he has a closet for just coats. I have 2. I don't know if they run cheaper up there, but they expensive as hell here. I was like wtf u got all these coats for??? Lol we were joking about how in the summer red cross gives out boxfans and window ac units here. Up north they give out coats, scarfs, and heaters.

When it comes to gear, guys will actually go get a part time job at footlocker, to go copp a fresh new collection of kicks at a discount price, and when they have enough shoes, they will just quit. lol

I think the biggest problem with hip hop in the north is that over here we have a lot of posers. No one has laid down their own fresh new style yet.
They just copy what they think is popular in the states.

In terms of big mainstream success with hiphop, the north hasnt had its shine yet. For rock stuff is always happening, but for urban, producers down my ways sound more like engineers who just try to be producers. Its hard to find decent collabs.

The quality of an average mainstream tdot hip hop track doesnt match the quality of mainstream tracks in the states. Its always something, like the drums dont hit hard enough, the songs that should have some bounce to them have none to speak of, or the mixing jobs done on tracks just sound too boring.

The mastering places down here dont add anything to the tracks to help the situation as well.

But i still blame the sources, which are the studios and recording engineers, and the artists themselves.

Our biggest artists right now are Belly and Drake, anyone here know who they are?

We only have 1 true "BIG" studio over here and thats Metal Works. Every other place just seems to fall short.
Too much money hungry private studios using cheap ass recording gear, cheap ass monitors, and poor acoustics.

Makes me wonder if im the only kat doing hiphop music up here that drops hard earned money, for well needed quality.
Old 14th June 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_KPX View Post
relax nerds, I thought this topic was about the worst vocals.
If we are nerds. Then you must have a 2 digit I.Q.

I would love to see more artists and entertainers in Hip Hop and less hustlers and thugs because that stuff is not entertaining. Granted if BET would start showing some balance and show more acts like Lil Brother. And less of these lookatmycandypaintcar acts that only sell 50,000 units, then things will get better.
Old 23rd June 2007
Gear Nut

damn this thread completely morphed into something else.
from worst vocals to south sucks.

imho i used to hate on southern music like there was no tomorrow.
my boy used to call me the hip hop purist, and while ill admit BET and MTV etc need to play more little brother type artists, theyre at the moment not.

so best thing to do is get your foot in the game some way or how, and acting snobbish or like a purist will never land you a job in the game to even remotely change it( i learned the hard way).

now about southern music, yea laffy taffy isnt great, but there is other southern **** comin out thas more than 10% and its great music. hip hop is about the voice first, and there are southern artists who have songs where not every three words is ****. southern hip hop relates to southern culture with southern slang that southerners speak. it relates to heavy bass which in turn relates to pounding drums in marching bands which is like its own damn sport here in the south. once you start to absorb this then it all makes sense, claps played out? you can rock hard snares, its the rhythm that matters not the samples.

people are lazy in hip hop all the time now( and i only am talking about radio artists since that is what was brought up if im not mistaken with southern acts) even in the north, g-unit talkin about slangin the same snow as young jeezy, etc etc.

the game is full of mc/d-boys so its the same all over just a different beat.

so worst vocals?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search