The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Water and Electricity do not mix... My tracking studio is ****ed!
Old 7th June 2006

Water and Electricity do not mix... My tracking studio is ****ed!

As many of you probably know, I have a couple studios that I own. spread out across Mass and RI... One of my studios (the basement tracking studio) is flooded with about 6 inches of water....

I was able to salvage some gear, mostly sound modules... But, I lost a lot.... anything that wasn't at least a few inches off the floor.... A couple nice guitars, and other instruments are lost. Forget about the furniture.

This sucks!

The worst part is that I was in the middle of re-arranging the studio and a lot of gear was stacked on the floor. I guess the dumpster is the new home for a lot of this ****.
Old 7th June 2006

Oh... and I forgot to mention a thousand records are ****ed! At least all my classics were on the top shelf.heh
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

**** man, that sucks. commiserations.

insured though, yeah?

i know some things are worth more than just money, but at least it's something.

and let some **** dry out for a few days then try them - you might be surprised by the odd item working just fine.

good luck
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Guru

oh **** man, I'm sorry to hear that. Please tell me you had insurance! What happened up there? It couldn't have come at a worse time it seems, having th gear stacked on the floor and all. Whew, good luck salvaging what you can
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Oh... and I forgot to mention a thousand records are ****ed! At least all my classics were on the top shelf.heh

oh f**k!!! Thats heartbreaking to hear, and they weren't even mine!
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

yeah, someone leave the taps on?
Old 7th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith
No, we've been getting pounded with rain for the last few weeks... There was a lot of flooding in the northern part of the state. We have a high water table, and I guess the sump pump crapped out from all the full time abuse these past couple weeks....

The water is up to my shin...
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith
I am guessing yes - far upstairs. We've been getting poured on lately. The ground is already saturated - so Nor-easters that dump tons more rain doesn't help matters.

Good luck Tony
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Head

Sorry to hear that Tony. This is why I can't use my basement as a studio. My house is on a high water table as well and the water comes up through the foundation. I guess I'll be hooking up the sump pump when I get home tonight. Will the summer ever come in New England?
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

sorry to hear that tony
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
flooded with about 6 inches of water....
WWWWHAT!

inches........and u crying...LMAOooo DARTTTT, Pickkk... Tony said inches.

na Tony you know "I" had to crack a joke on that one...heh heh
but dam son, that aint cool at all, expecially the vinyl. I know how u feel and then some.

P.S......
how long did it take FEMA to get there?
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Maniac

dude, I'm sorry....you must have a nice insurance check coming in....although I'm sure most of the stuff lost is priceless....keep your head up...

lates,
Poly
Old 7th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphony
dude, I'm sorry....you must have a nice insurance check coming in....although I'm sure most of the stuff lost is priceless....keep your head up...

lates,
Poly
No flood insurance...
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

OUCH! Any pics of the tragedy? Its like wanting to look at a bad car accident when you drive by... Regardless, that sucks....my condolences. Im always worried about earthquakes but water/electronics is guaranteed problematic.... Its things like this that make me reconsider the level of insurance I have for the studio at home....
Old 7th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepapagold
OUCH! Any pics of the tragedy? Its like wanting to look at a bad car accident when you drive by... Regardless, that sucks....my condolences. Im always worried about earthquakes but water/electronics is guaranteed problematic.... Its things like this that make me reconsider the level of insurance I have for the studio at home....
I took a picture of the drum kit with my camera phone.... but, it didn't come out very well. I was on the stairs, and am afraid to take a picture up close..... zap!stike
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
No flood insurance...

One big DOOOH!
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Head

I feel for you man, that can be tough. My dad is a violin repairman and dealer and we built a gorgeous stone house and violin shop in the mountains outside of San Diego. It took us nearly 15 years to build that house and it burned to the ground in the big fires they had a few years ago. He saved most of his clients violins, but his personal instruments (60's strats, tube amps, hammond organs...) and studio was all gone. No insurance either! In the end, it's all just a bunch of stuff, but it does hurt. Especially records, ouch! If you lost a particular piece of vinyl that is just killing you, I'll see what I can do to get you another one, send me a pm.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

if some of the stuff wasn't on like the electronics etc let that **** dry out....maybe itll power on again. can't hurt to try.
Old 7th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic
if some of the stuff wasn't on like the electronics etc let that **** dry out....maybe itll power on again. can't hurt to try.
Yeah, I'm trying that. I popped open my ASR and a few other pieces of gear to help them dry... We'll see what happens.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

just make sure they're ALL THE WAY dry when you power em back on

no condensation underneath the circuit boards, etc...it should be ok
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Seriously man, alot of those pieces may be ok when they dry completely out. Just get them out of the water asap...
Old 8th June 2006
Perhaps some of the stuff will sound BETTER!

Anyways.. I hope so..

Damn...
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Addict

Tony,

Before you power ANYTHING back on, be sure to give them a light spritz of some kind of electronic (ususally silicon based) lubricant. I know it sounds crazy, but I've been in the EE field for 18 years now. You can usually find something like that in Graybar or a similar industrial reseller shop. Also, be sure to coat your outlet plugs and any grounding elements with "No Ox" to reduce any oxidation while drying. If you can find it, there is a product called trichloroethynol. (Fols call it Tri-Chlor). It is used to dry out electronic components. (It might be banned in the US.) This will help out, as well.

Gimme a holler if you need further pointers.
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Addict

F**k, sorry to hear about this. I had someone leave on some taps at my old apt. and it ruined some of my stuff once, but NOTHING on this scale.

Hope you get some decent salvage outta there.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Damn Tony

Not what you need...

Good luck sorting this out bro...
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Addict

damn.. sorry to hear that
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sorry to hear about this Tony. Honestly I'm more sad about the albums than the gear. You can replace gear, but some albums are hard....

Wish you well man.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, we've been getting pounded with rain for the last few weeks... There was a lot of flooding in the northern part of the state. We have a high water table, and I guess the sump pump crapped out from all the full time abuse these past couple weeks....
Damn.. Sorry to here this Tony.

We had some of that heavy rain down here. It was flowing down our side alley like a river. It was pouring into the basement, but we don't have any gear down there, or on the floor. It flooded the alley so bad, it started to sneak into the studio on the 1st floor. I haven't seen rain like that around here in a long time. Then it just stopped..

Hope you can salvage most of it.. The vinyl loss sucks..
Old 8th June 2006
500 series nutjob

never had studio gear get flooded but i use to see radios, loran's, photometers, and other gear from the tug boats go in the river all the time.
if they were completely dried for days they would almost always work when powered back up.
the trick we found to insure they were dried completely was to open them up and get a fan blowing on them.
as far as the guitars if they are of any real value get them to a competent luthier.
very possible to save them as well.
hope for the best.
Old 8th June 2006
dam that sucks!! just keep your head up man

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search