The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Flyte Tyme Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Flyte Tyme

I think I am not the only one that loves the sound of some or all Flyte Tyme Productions!

I am totally blown away from Heather Headley! I love the vocals on the two albums I know. And I love the bottom (How did they get this fat basses and kicks?)

Anyone got a clue which equipment was used? How this stuff was mixed? The tracks that I enjoy the most at the moment are "Four words from a heartbreak", "I wish I wasn't" and "If it wasn't for your love". The last one is so damn great! the instruments and the vocals add together in a so sweet way.

Another Superhero from their range is "Case" to me! I love his voice and the album Personal Conversation! The track "He don't love you" (Yes, I still worry about the grammar, too!) is superior!

Can anyone tell us details about these tracks!?
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewj
I think I am not the only one that loves the sound of some or all Flyte Tyme Productions!

I am totally blown away from Heather Headley! I love the vocals on the two albums I know. And I love the bottom (How did they get this fat basses and kicks?)

Anyone got a clue which equipment was used? How this stuff was mixed? The tracks that I enjoy the most at the moment are "Four words from a heartbreak", "I wish I wasn't" and "If it wasn't for your love". The last one is so damn great! the instruments and the vocals add together in a so sweet way.

Another Superhero from their range is "Case" to me! I love his voice and the album Personal Conversation! The track "He don't love you" (Yes, I still worry about the grammar, too!) is superior!

Terry Lewis & Jimmy Jam , they are absolute legends , i grew up listening to their stuff , they are a big influence !

Not familiar with this artist , but in the past they used SSL consoles for mixing , and usually used Steve Hodge for both recording and mixing duties, he is an amazing mixer ! As far as gear a lot of their programming was done using an MPC as a sequencer(drums) with racks of Synth modules and vintage synths , tracked to P.Tools ! But they are not afraid to experiment so it would not be strange to read they used softsynths and mixed it ITB , the fat sounds comes with great tracking with a good DI/pre with character , the rest is manipulation and years of experience in their case !

Most important is the ability to choose the right sounds drum/bass/synths so you start with an arragement that does not overlap to much frequencially , half your battle will be here ....

Hope this helps a little Andrew !
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, but I think the clue of the vocals and the incredible punch in the lower end can only be described by Steve Hodge himself.

Think he is not here, or has not so much time to answer stuff like this!

Hopefully tony puts something like that on his DVD.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Head

Hi Andrewj,

My name is christian and i'm from the U.K and i'm a big gearslutz and Flyte Tyme fan.I know "if it was'nt for your love" as i'm one of the writers of that track. I do know the guy who produced that track is Steve Ferreira, a guy from N.Y, who's also a big A&R guy out there. I would imagine the sound of that album is just SSL, great outboard, great mixing and great mastering, plus heather headley putting in a great performance. Glad you like the track mate.

Cheers,

Chris.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Some corrections All,

Flyte Tyme(production's = separate from the studio) used Harrison consoles seemingly almost exclusivly up until they started doing work for 'Michael Jackson' at which time they started the transition to SSL's. I think 'Bruce Swedien' had something to do with getting 'Jam, & Lewis' started on SSL's. I've talked several times to Steve Hodge while he was working out of their (mid-west)facility and this goes back as far as the 'Cherelle', & 'Alexander O'neil' projects when 'Paula Abdul's' 'singing' career originally took off. I used to talk to both Steve Hodge, & Keith Cohen(another great mixer who used to work out of 'Larrabee Studios' in LA who did remix work for 'Jam, & Lewis')on a regular basis . Also alot of the old stuff used Otari 2" tape machines.

Rob G..
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Alexander ONeil "A Broken Heart Can Mend" anybody know that one? It's one of my favorite songs of all time.

BaseJase
Illynoise
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Nut

The new Flyte time HQ

found this on their new set up in Los Angeles:

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_la_gr..._85/index.html

I had a chance to visit it and these guys have awesome taste. just a beautiful place.

George
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoh1
found this on their new set up in Los Angeles:

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_la_gr..._85/index.html

I had a chance to visit it and these guys have awesome taste. just a beautiful place.

George
Thank you very much for that! Enjoyed reading it!
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Another Jam & Lewis marvel is Janet Jackson's "Rythm Nation CD. I believe the signiture grooves were mostly played on Alesis SR-16 drum machine of all things.
That takes some serious creative chops boys.

Bill

www.warnerworks.net
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Guru

I'm a big Jam and Lewis fan. Or was. I haven't kept oup with them lately. All of their stuff for Janet starting with Control knocked me out.

Heather Headley's "I wish I wasn't" knocked me out too. I didn't know that was Jam and Lewis! I heard it on the radio and downloaded it on iTunes.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

They did some things on Gwen Stefani's latest that are stellar. Check out "Harajuku Girls".

Bill

www.warnerworks.net
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

jam and lewis have been part of my musical make up... from the time, to s.o.s. band, to cheryl lynn to janet, to usher, and gwen, and well i haven't named a 10th of it!!! jam and lewis all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all these young cats could get an entire musical education listening to these guys
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

It's their chops guys. They used a ****ty old Harrison.

Nothing hifi. They just made the gear do what they wanted.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewj

If you really want something special from these guys...

Call EMI music puplishing and tell them you work for TV and Film and you would like their 4 CD hits anthology set.....

I always felt they should have sold this on the market
Old 9th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwarner
Another Jam & Lewis marvel is Janet Jackson's "Rythm Nation CD. I believe the signiture grooves were mostly played on Alesis SR-16 drum machine of all things.
That takes some serious creative chops boys.

Bill

www.warnerworks.net

Actually the Ensoniq Mirage and Linn 9000.
Old 9th June 2006

Terry Lewis is a good dude... I met him at AES 2-3 years ago for the first time. I walked up to him and I grabbed his name tag (he was trying to hide it halfway in his pocket) and said... "Terry Lewis, that name looks familiar... where do I know you from?".... He took it well and passed the test. We had a good conversation for about an hour... He was humble and intelligent, yet also listened to what I was saying about gear...
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Actually the Ensoniq Mirage and Linn 9000.
I think the earlier stuff was Mirage, but Rhythm Nation? I don't know what drums they were using, it actually sounds like a Roland or Kawai drum machines on that Janet album. You can tell the early Mirage stuff, really 8 bit lovely textures!

I still got my Mirage!

BaseJase
Illynoise
Old 18th June 2006
Here for the gear

I KNOW THIS FORUM IS KINDA OLD BUT IM SUCH A BIG FAN OF JIMMY JAM AND TERRY LEWIS MAN. i DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT PRODUCING BUT I LEARN A LOT FROM LISTENING TO THEIR SONG. iM YOUNG AND UP AND COMING SO IM IN THE RIGHT PATH.
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise
Alexander ONeil "A Broken Heart Can Mend" anybody know that one? It's one of my favorite songs of all time.

BaseJase
Illynoise
HELL yeah illynoise one of the illest Jam & Lewis cuts EVER!!! The instrumental bridge into the chorus with that KICKING bass line! And Alex's vocal is so transcendent man. One of the best.

But seriously I reckon Up & Down by Deborah Cox has to be HIGH up on the list of all-time great Jam & Lewis tracks, right?
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Everytime I think of these cats I think of the 808 and the Linn9000. They totally mastered how to program these boxes and fully exploit them for R&B. What they did on the SOS Band back in the 80's was truly ground breaking. Tracks like "No one's gonna love you" and "Just Be Good to Me" were way ahead of their time from what was going on in R&B at the time. Then they reinventend themselves again with Alexander O'Neal and Cherrelle when they took the Linn9000 with the stutter high hat feature on several of those tracks. Does anyone remember the crazy hit hat and off beat snare on 777-9311? Str8t fiyah. That's what got me into this producing thing.
Old 19th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kennedy
It's their chops guys. They used a ****ty old Harrison.

Nothing hifi. They just made the gear do what they wanted.
They used several $500k Harrison Series 10B consoles at Flyte Tyme. I'm not sure if you can call that "****ty" consoles ..... To my knowledge they used the Harrisons up until they closed and moved to LA..... which was pretty recently.
There where no SSL console at Flyte Tyme studios.....
Old 19th June 2006

stutter means s t u t t e r... heh
Old 20th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Anybody even mentioned The Time?
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

I gotta ask has anyone ever noticed on the Janet "Velvet Rope" album there a sample of Buffalo Girls they sampled (main lead) that was just horrible, it's way out of pitch. I think it's one of the first songs on that CD. Maybe I can find it on Itunes.

I always wanted to know how that one got past them!

BaseJase
Illynoise
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Yep it's the song Velvet Rope, and yes it's off, not as bad as I thought, but I noticed it.

Base
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

I worked with Jimmy and a little bit with Terry on the MJ History album. Their approach was surprisingly low-tech. Linn Drums, pretty much every synth made, and at the time, Jimmy's magic bag of DAT's full of samples. Just about every track I saw created was played live by Jimmy - hihat's, snares, everything. Sometimes I looped a 4 bar performance in Studio Vision or the MPC but most things were played live all the way down. Jimmy mainly used my synth rig at Record One. Just of the top of my head he was into the D-70, JD-800, and SE-1 at the time.

At that point all their work had been mixed on Harrisions by Steve Hodge, but the tracks for MJ were all mixed on SSL's by both Bruce and Steve. I know Steve was not happy with SSL's as a lot of functions from the Harrison were not present on the 4000's we were working on. There was a lot of rental gear just to get automated panning (TC 2290's, panscans, etc.).

An interesting side note - the song History was mixed simultaneously on two SSL's at Larrabee with 4 Sony 3348's DASH locked. Choirs, BG's and orchestra on one SSL fed via busses to the second SSL where the rest of the track lived. That's a big mix !!!!!!
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the earlier stuff was Mirage, but Rhythm Nation? I don't know what drums they were using, it actually sounds like a Roland or Kawai drum machines on that Janet album. You can tell the early Mirage stuff, really 8 bit lovely textures!

I still got my Mirage!

BaseJase
Illynoise

Yup, you can hear some of the stock Mirage samples alll over that record. Lot's of AMS reverb on there as well.
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

A little more followup, everything we received from Flyte Time was on 2". We transfered the tracks to the Sony's for mixing. At the time we were still tracking everything to 2" and later bouncing it to the Sony's for Bruce to mix. Not sure what 2" machines they had at FT but we were mainly using Studer A-800's and 827's.

Interesting that someone above mentioned great tracking, most of the tracks we received were not immaculate recordings, there was tons of hiss and grunge, but the stuff just had so much vibe it didn't matter. Jimmy's attitude was to not let technology/engineering get in the way of the song.

I remember reading somewhere that they had gone to Radar and not PT because it acted more like tape but I have no idea what they're working with now.
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
stutter means s t u t t e r... heh
Good Lookin' TB.
Old 20th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I gotta ask has anyone ever noticed on the Janet "Velvet Rope" album there a sample of Buffalo Girls they sampled (main lead) that was just horrible, it's way out of pitch. I think it's one of the first songs on that CD. Maybe I can find it on Itunes.

I always wanted to know how that one got past them!
BaseJase
Illynoise
That was a Teddy Riley Produced track. Teddy did most of Velvet Rope..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search