The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Promiscuous Girl Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Addict

I'm actually kind of surprised you people like this stuff.
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenre
I'm actually kind of surprised you people like this stuff.

I'm surprised you don't!
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphony
I'm surprised you don't!
Why? It's throw-away trash.
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Whoa Nelly...

I am embarrassed for everyone involved.
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Why? It's throw-away trash.

yea you're probably right....she doesn't sell as many records as you do...hahaha
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Head

Yeah, these days sales are the mark of a great record......
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Maniac

as far as I'm concerned the whole 'selling records' stage of the game is over!!

Don't think people are going to be buying records anymore....artists should just focus on other sources of income and give their material away(ex: advertisement, merchandise, concerts)....

but that's just my opinion
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Let's put it this way: 5 years from now no one will give two sh-ts about this song.

However, for the moment right now, it's summar, the sun is shining, girls are out and looking good, it's a nice little feel-good ditty. Enjoy it for what it is.
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Head

Word up Kestral, it is catchy! When I play it in like 10 years people will go nuts and it'll be worth something on ebay (for those who are late to it), then I'll appreciate it more. I agree with you too Poly, it's already happening, we give away most of our music for free, like a business card. It's all about the "other stuff".
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Maniac

yea no doubt it's already starting to happen....and some major artists are starting to take to the idea....

The way I look at is it's a good thing cause labels are going ///byebye!! And it puts the money back into the artists hands.....hey maybe we should start a thread about this issue...ahaha
I'm sure it's been done..
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Head

It's a very exciting time isn't it? I'm juiced, we really all have a chance to take our piece of what use to be this music "industry". I think being able to communicate with each other over the internet like this is one of the best steps in that direction. We have an oppurtunity to support each other through, and teach each other about, what's already happened and what's ahead of us. Make the music you wanna make!
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
yea you're probably right....she doesn't sell as many records as you do...hahaha
Great point.

No, seriously.
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Great point.

No, seriously.

I was just kidding....lol
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is just a really lame attempt to be hip and urban. Awful
maneater is the single here in europe.
I heard 6 other songs from the album and liked the singing and the melodies.
well I'm kind of pragmatic - there is little but chauvinism when urban cats say you are provincial and things...
many people love just the attitude and style influence and don't give sh*t on anything deeper because that has nothing to do with music and their lives.
for these songs - melody and chords are nice, vocals excellent, arrangement is modern enough, so... great!

well I see the point when someone says nelly F is best actress for playing a 16 year old with 30 or whatever... but thats fine again in pop.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Let's put it this way: 5 years from now no one will give two sh-ts about this song.
Man, 5 years from now, no one will probably give two ****s about this genre of music. That ain't the point. It's a decent/catchy song right now.
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoVXR
maneater is the single here in europe.
Havent heard the album yet, but heard that Maneater track.I really didnt know it was Nelly Furtado at first.But its catchy, though slightly on the silly side.Kinda has this ditzy-ness to it.But hey, catchiness is all the rage and being summer time.......expect the sales to soar...........be that in albums or mp3 DL's.
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I like that gnarle barkley song crazy....but the rest of the album was horrible in my opinion....yea there were a couple songs that were groovey but for the most part....hell naw!
Still planning to check out the Gnarls album.So whats it sound like?More Gorillaz-ish or DangerDoom-ish?Or more like the middleground?
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Head

I don't think being catchy is a good thing... I mean, I always considered that "catchy" was a good way to say "disposable". There are different kinds of "catchy", sure, but when it comes to radio/tv hits, catchy is not a quality.

In Spain, they say "pegadizo" (sticky) and it definitely expresses what I mean: something that gets in your hear and doesn't go away, even if u don't like it.

On the other hand, catchy makes money...
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmR2m
I don't think being catchy is a good thing...
Yeah, being catchy sucks. Stupid f'ing Beatles and their dumb ass catchy songs
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Yeah, being catchy sucks. Stupid f'ing Beatles and their dumb ass catchy songs

LMFAO....it's funny cause.....it's TRUE
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

"Promiscuous Girl" is, IMNSHO, a really cool track.

Being an old head myself, I gotta say: I really dig the 80's vibe. It put a smile on my face, remembering what it was like cruising clubs for easy girls in those days, with songs just like like this blasting on the club systems.

High marks for:
1) wordplay
2) verse - to - chorus dynamic effect
3) vocal production - really lush, nice layering and harmonies
4) melody - not too repetitive, but still memorable
5) driving/relentless groove factor
6) "fun factor": easy, breezy & sexy sense of humor = nice vibe

Low marks for:
1) a little thin sounding, but that's the style today so whatever - the way systems are so lo-end hyped these days, it prolly rocks in the club

I think Timb and Nelly did a fine job with this track. They obviously put some work into it, and it shows. My hat's off, yo.

No, it will probably not live in infamy a-la Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone." Anyhoo...
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

while it's good to give props to Timb and other producers, i wonder how much of these beats are actually made by the man themselves..

cuz my understanding is that they either make their own; or shop for beats, find the cool ones, and bank on them. producing is one thing, but to me it sounds like some are giving them credit as a creative artist or beatmakers... hmm..

not flaming, cuz i don't know. and i'm actually a big fan of Timb's stuff, esp on Utada's album. it'd be great to know if they're personally punching it.
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

I love what Timbaland does, he's one of the only producers that impresses me and makes me think, how'd he do that? But this song is not that good, and I guess it's pretty predictable.

I'm not trying to be a critic, because dude is way more talented than most, but his production on this song isn't anything that amazing to me. I haven't heard the rest of the album so who knows.....

BaseJase
Illynoise
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

is it just me, or does the basic track (kick, snare, etc.) sound like Justin's "Like I Love You". as if Justin being in the video doesn't help...
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

The whole Nu-RnB thing is well over its zenith - still, this is a fine song. I second those positive comments people here said about it. It's not groundbreaking but good entertainment, so what? I'm sure rather few people are able to create something equally appealing to a mass audience.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search