The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I need help syncing protools with an mpc Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 4th June 2006
Here for the gear

I need help syncing protools with an mpc

Yo whats going on If any one knows how to sync protools and an mpc 4000, please help me out im ripping my hair out tryna figure this one. Much respect
Royilltee
Old 4th June 2006
cpu
Gear Addict

did you try sending midi beat clock to whatever midi port the mpc is on, then set the mpc to recieve midi clock?
Old 4th June 2006
Here for the gear

yeah

yeah but i got the old mbox that doesnt have a midi inut but its got a spdif connections, where do i find the menu in protools to select which in put to use
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

You cannot send/recieve MIDI Time Code without a Midi Interface. You need to purchase a midi interface. Once you have that, sync one to another. Some people like to sync PT to the MPC and others, the other way around.

sdf
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Or Midi Beat Clock.....

sdf
Old 4th June 2006
Here for the gear

yeah thanks man i didnt think you could so one was sayin they could with a usb cable too but i didnt think so
Old 5th June 2006
cpu
Gear Addict

yeah...the usb on the mpc's are just for file transfer...can't do midi with it.
Old 6th June 2006
Here for the gear

yeah i figured that ... so i went and got a midi device but i still cant figue out how to sync it in protools do you no what menu i have to go under to set it up thanks man much respect
Old 17th June 2006
Lives for gear

the Protools/MPC2500 sync is junk on my end. Everything is locked up, but Protools somehow changes the groove of the audio on the MPC2500. Kinda like its requantizing the sequence info. Like if you a have a 16th note snare fill at the end of a sequence(tat tat tat tat tat tat)....the 2500 will not play it as smooth when it clocked(midi beat) to Protools. I can't seem to figure out why. I recorded a pass clocked to protools and then on another track, recorded a 2nd pass but trigging the mpc by hand and not clocked to PT. Compared them and you can hear the difference. I guess its hand trigging the MPC from now on...or until they fix what every the problem is.

I double check everything, BPM, cables, settings, etc. And on searching here and on mpc-forums. seems like other folks are have the same problems. Some think its a PT 6.7-7.2 problem But I think someone had the same problem on D. Performer, and another on Logic.
Old 17th June 2006
Gear Maniac

^^^

I have the same problem when trying to sync my mpc1000 to protools. The groove (quantization) of the song seems to change when clocked from protools. I can't figure out for the life of me why this is happening. Also...how do you sync protools to your mpc so the computer acts as the slave? Never figured that out!
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Addict

"I have the same problem when trying to sync my mpc1000 to protools. The groove (quantization) of the song seems to change when clocked from protools."

IIRC midi clock is only accurate to 1/24th of a second. The internal timing accuracy of an MPC is much higher than that. So when you run from an external clock it downgrades the accuracy of the timing.
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Maniac

protools sux when it comes to 'time' in midi.
Just use the MPC as your main sequencer then dump audio into protools.

hope that helps,
Poly
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Head

In pro tools first go to the peripherals tab and click generic mtc reader to your midi out - . then go to the sychronization tab and send Midi Machine Control to the same midi out .

Leave all preroll/device id settings alone.

Then goto session setup tab and send MTC to your same midi out . dont even fuss with smpte clock or fps .
set your mpc for MMC and Midi Clock as the time base .setup your IN port (a,b,etc)
plug in the midi cord to the correct ports and

walla

works for me every time ( i use a midisport 2x2 with THE NEWEST drivers ), my mpc2k locks like a pitbull to pro tools , cubasesx , FL or whatever .

Please note however , Ive used many different midi devices in my PC's and , it makes a huge difference which kind i used to master my mpc to . The Pro Tools midi out (digi 001 / 6.4) is a DOG. it will not spit accurate time to my mpc no matter what i try ,its pure slop .

My mididsport wasnt always spot on , it was unusable for a good 3 years up until they released the latest drivers .

But My most successful midi device was the joystick port/soundcard thingy built onto the Motherboard (That setup was ROCK Solid - running Win 98 no less !) , however It was a hassle getting it setup to work in Pro Tools properly .

hope this helps
Old 18th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmuv
In pro tools first go to the peripherals tab and click generic mtc reader to your midi out - . then go to the sychronization tab and send Midi Machine Control to the same midi out .

Leave all preroll/device id settings alone.

Then goto session setup tab and send MTC to your same midi out . dont even fuss with smpte clock or fps .
set your mpc for MMC and Midi Clock as the time base .setup your IN port (a,b,etc)
plug in the midi cord to the correct ports and

walla

works for me every time ( i use a midisport 2x2 with THE NEWEST drivers ), my mpc2k locks like a pitbull to pro tools , cubasesx , FL or whatever .

Please note however , Ive used many different midi devices in my PC's and , it makes a huge difference which kind i used to master my mpc to . The Pro Tools midi out (digi 001 / 6.4) is a DOG. it will not spit accurate time to my mpc no matter what i try ,its pure slop .

My mididsport wasnt always spot on , it was unusable for a good 3 years up until they released the latest drivers .

But My most successful midi device was the joystick port/soundcard thingy built onto the Motherboard (That setup was ROCK Solid - running Win 98 no less !) , however It was a hassle getting it setup to work in Pro Tools properly .

hope this helps

really huh? thanx dude....that really helps out...I thought a midi port was a midi port...very cool....thnx
poly
Old 4th August 2006
Lives for gear

any tricks for the 1000? no mmc or mtc
Old 4th August 2006
Lives for gear

halfguard i think your only option would be to slave the MPC to Pro Tools using beat clock.

But, I agree with Polyphony, and I just dump audio into Pro Tools.
Old 4th August 2006
Gear Head

I don't know if this helps, but I got Logic 5.5 on Pc. I use midi clock. I give about a couple bars on the mpc 1000 . Leave Logic on auto sync in the preferences, then push play on the mpc. Logic follows my mpc. Then i chop the couple bars off and export to protools. I got the new beta version on the mpc 1000, which has improved my timing on the mpc 1000.
Old 19th November 2008
Gear Addict

So just to be clear, If I send Midi Clock to MPC from Logic, will I loose the great MPC quantize?

I've tried to do it the other way around but Logic behaves weird. I doesn't sync up and the audio even slows down like vari speed
Old 19th November 2008
Gear Nut

Slaving my MPC to the DAW, only works if I use MIDI Beat Clock. MTC does not work for me.
Old 19th November 2008
Gear Addict

Syncing my 1000 to my MBox with beat clock sux, MTC works fine

Both beat clock and MTC suck when syncing it to my Project Mix.

Here's what I do:

1. Turn the Count In to REC+PLAY on the MPC
2. Record the tracks
3. Tab to Transient to the 1st click on each track, Slice the track
4. In Shuffle Mode delete the blank spaces at the front of the tracks
5. Switch to Grid Mode and select the first four bars of each track
6. Switch back to Shuffle Mode and delete the first four bars of each track

Ofcourse the tempo needs to be set in Pro Tools.
Old 19th November 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjasoards View Post
Both beat clock and MTC suck when syncing it to my Project Mix.

3. Tab to Transient to the 1st click on each track, Slice the track
And of course this can be done in Logic 8 now too. This really does seem like the best way to go.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search