The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preferred Final Mastering Program Besides Pro Tools ? DAW Software
Old 19th May 2012
  #1
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
Preferred Final Mastering Program Besides Pro Tools ?

finalizing an album and mixing down now.

album was recorded with Cubase 6 and Adobe Audion CS6

what program should i master with ?
Old 19th May 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 

I started using reaper while mastering, then decided to ditch everything else and use it exclusively. It worked out good for the last project I worked on. But it really doesn't matter. The effects chain is what really matters.
Old 19th May 2012
  #3
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
dang ill look into that, appreciate the response dearly.

would i be able to record with that program as well ?

does the recording engine run better than cubase or adobe audition ? thanks !
Old 19th May 2012
  #4
Gear Addict
 
Skamm Goodiez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe View Post
I started using reaper while mastering, then decided to ditch everything else and use it exclusively. It worked out good for the last project I worked on. But it really doesn't matter. The effects chain is what really matters.
this.

Try Reaper u will not regret it.
Old 19th May 2012
  #5
Gear interested
 

Thread Starter
thanks guys ! great idea
Old 19th May 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
I guess its mostly about what you find suiting your workflow...

I use logic, it meets all of my needs. It's used on many professional tracks (though not as common as PT of course....)
Old 19th May 2012
  #7
Pt is not a mastering program - it can't do any of the pq encoding, isrc embedding etc that you need to do a proper mastering job.

Soundforge/wavelab maybe? SADIE and Pyramix get used a fair bit, but they're serious high end stuff...I think sonorus make a program to make the final disc image.

Who knows, you might even be able to do all the spacing using toast or something. I know logic used to come with wave burner which did all of this...
Old 19th May 2012
  #8
Registered User
 

Samplitude / Sequoia like many others in the industry.
Studio One has Redbook audio CD, so it may be worth a look to see how it stacks up, on the cheap. Never used it for mastering so I don't know about any other features.
Old 19th May 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Lights's Avatar
Reaper is just another DAW like Cubase or Pro Tools. Why would it have any advantage for mastering over doing it in Cubase, which the OP already owns?
Old 19th May 2012
  #10
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
Reaper is just another DAW like Cubase or Pro Tools. Why would it have any advantage for mastering over doing it in Cubase, which the OP already owns?
I agree..not sure what reaper offers that any other daw doesn't. The other suggestions make sense.

Lights - BTW enjoying the lights fade low ep at the moment. good work.
Old 19th May 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 

I've mastered projects I've mixed using Pro Tools, some of you have probably even heard those projects. I would generally do all the labeling and Start/Finish times in Waveburner, which i don't really know to be "professional mastering software" but it's gotten the job done...I'd recommend hiring a professional if you can afford it though!
Old 19th May 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
PT, Cubase, Logic, etc. are DAWs and require workarounds to properly master an album.

I would definitely demo IK Multimedia T-Racks. Killer sounding plugs in a dedicated mastering application designed specifically for mastering (and you can still use the plugs as VST effects in your DAW).
Old 19th May 2012
  #13
Gear Head
 
gagashe's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
PT, Cubase, Logic, etc. are DAWs and require workarounds to properly master an album.

I would definitely demo IK Multimedia T-Racks. Killer sounding plugs in a dedicated mastering application designed specifically for mastering (and you can still use the plugs as VST effects in your DAW).
:thumbup: might also wanna try isotope, as 4 DAW still using old wavelab and happy

Sent from my GT-I9100
Old 19th May 2012
  #14
Gear interested
 

The mastering section in studio one is great. but as a million other people probably stated before me It's better to hire a professional mastering engineer.
Old 19th May 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Lights's Avatar
I like T-racks singles occasionally in a project, but don't think they are the right plugins to really master a track or a whole album. As I said in another post, I feel like they emulate the 'old school' way of mastering, where you chain together a bunch of analog gear, dial in some knobs, and hope for some magic. I think a plugin like Ozone 5 represents the future of mastering--more precise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
Lights - BTW enjoying the lights fade low ep at the moment. good work.
Thanks! If you like those tracks I think you will really like the singles, which are newer. I think I'm getting better as I go . Hurricane, Small, and Control will all be part of my next EP (once I've written a few more songs).
Old 19th May 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Lights's Avatar
Oh--one more thing since my music came up and we are talking now about t-racks and Ozone: compare my tracks Hurricane and Small to prior tracks (the ones on the EP). Hurricane and Small were mastered with Ozone 5. The others were mastered using a variety of plugins (t-racks among them).
Old 19th May 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
I like T-racks singles occasionally in a project, but don't think they are the right plugins to really master a track or a whole album. As I said in another post, I feel like they emulate the 'old school' way of mastering, where you chain together a bunch of analog gear, dial in some knobs, and hope for some magic. I think a plugin like Ozone 5 represents the future of mastering--more precise.
Just for clarification, and I could totally be wrong as it's been a while since I looked at Ozone. But Ozone is a plug-in. It does not provide a host. So you are relying upon your DAW or editor for audio playback, editing, PQ codes, etc. T-Racks on the other hand IS a host; it's just that you can also use the individual components in any DAW/editor without using the host part. Also, they both work in the "old school" way you mention which is chaining together various processing components just like you would in a hardware mastering setup (not really sure what the "new school" way would be...). Ozone used to be serial processing only; but I'm going to assume that you can do parallel chains as well now, not sure (I don't mean simple things like parallel compression; I mean like running a compressor and an EQ in parallel). T-Racks does off a wide range of very complicated structures including serial, parallel, and crazy combinations of both.

They both can do everything you need for mastering from a sound standpoint. And both sound very good. But just be aware that you will need a host of some kind for Ozone.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....
Old 19th May 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Lights's Avatar
Chris: you are totally right that t-racks combines a host and a bundle of plugins. And you need a host like a DAW or sound forge or wavelab to run Ozone.

What I meant to convey is that the t-racks plugins provide far less precision than the components in Ozone, and for the most part emulate classic analog gear. I think it's a preference as to what style of mastering you like to do.
Old 19th May 2012
  #19
Registered User
 

T-Racks is just as precise as any other mastering program if not more. You can double click any of the values and type in your own exact values. Yes, we do have the best emulations of classic analog gear that have been used on countless classics to get the sounds you've already heard a million times in your studio for a fraction of the same price. We also have our own models that no one else has built to spec by our own employees.

IK Multimedia and T-Racks have always been known for quality, we stand by our product. Just try out the demo and compare it to any other things you want to shoot out with. You'll hear the difference too.
Old 19th May 2012
  #20
Samplitude or sony soundforge get the job done. I did a lot with wavelab 5, but have had some headaches with version 7 concerning the GUI.

Another useful program I like is Sadie for mastering.

Sonicstudio soundblade has it hickups but can be really powerful in the right hands. They use Metric Halo interfaces in the hardware version.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk
Old 19th May 2012
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Lights's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
T-Racks is just as precise as any other mastering program if not more. You can double click any of the values and type in your own exact values. Yes, we do have the best emulations of classic analog gear that have been used on countless classics to get the sounds you've already heard a million times in your studio for a fraction of the same price. We also have our own models that no one else has built to spec by our own employees.

IK Multimedia and T-Racks have always been known for quality, we stand by our product. Just try out the demo and compare it to any other things you want to shoot out with. You'll hear the difference too.
Peace, Obi. I don't mean to say one is better. But I also don't think that being able to precisely control the value of a knob wasn't what I meant as precise. I was more referring to the ability to precisely control how you apply effects to different frequency bands, controlling the character of the effects very specifically (such as setting one point of an EQ to be linear phase, the precise graphical control, etc. that Ozone offers. Owning both products I'd say they are very different in the way they approach mastering.
Old 19th May 2012
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Danny Downer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
Peace, Obi. I don't mean to say one is better. But I also don't think that being able to precisely control the value of a knob wasn't what I meant as precise. I was more referring to the ability to precisely control how you apply effects to different frequency bands, controlling the character of the effects very specifically (such as setting one point of an EQ to be linear phase, the precise graphical control, etc. that Ozone offers. Owning both products I'd say they are very different in the way they approach mastering.
Most ME's I work with don't use Ozone BUT use Tracks...
Old 19th May 2012
  #23
Lives for gear
 
E.rOk.stA's Avatar
 

As for the final audio, Pro Tools. Bounce to 44.1/16 then import to Sony CD Architect for song layout, ISRC codes, PQ sheets, CD embedding and so forth.
Old 20th May 2012
  #24
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doeb44 View Post
finalizing an album and mixing down now.

album was recorded with Cubase 6 and Adobe Audion CS6

what program should i master with ?
Use Audition
Old 20th May 2012
  #25
Gear maniac
 

Yeah dude use Audition. I track out vocals in Audition even. I don't see why not master as well

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Gearslutz App
Old 21st May 2012
  #26
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Downer View Post
Most ME's I work with don't use Ozone BUT use Tracks...
Exactly
Old 21st May 2012
  #27
WaveBurner , came with my copy of Logic Studio
Old 21st May 2012
  #28
Lives for gear
 
s.d.finley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Downer View Post
Most ME's I work with don't use Ozone BUT use Tracks...
Most ME's I use don't use either.... hardware!

If your music is going to be distributed, itunes or otherwise, just as others have suggested I too am going to suggest to find a Pro ME. If its just a vanity project or local mixtape... then feel free to DIY.

Lets see, reasons not to use Reaper or Pro Tools for mastering, add your DAW of choice here too:

1. No redbook cd burning
2. No redbook cd image compiling
3. No ISRC code input
4. No cd text
5. No PQ sheet export

Besides that they are perfectly fine.

I prefer to use one program to do it all and for me its DSP Quattro. Unfortunately dsp q is mac only. For PC sequoia is pretty cool and does all the above. I haven't used wavelab. If you already own T racks or Ozone, these plug ins will work in sequoia and dsp quattro among many other proper mastering programs.
But of course if you don't need all the above and are willing to use several programs to do what you need then use whatever you want to get the job done.
Old 21st May 2012
  #29
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights View Post
I like T-racks singles occasionally in a project, but don't think they are the right plugins to really master a track or a whole album. As I said in another post, I feel like they emulate the 'old school' way of mastering, where you chain together a bunch of analog gear, dial in some knobs, and hope for some magic. I think a plugin like Ozone 5 represents the future of mastering--more precise.



Thanks! If you like those tracks I think you will really like the singles, which are newer. I think I'm getting better as I go . Hurricane, Small, and Control will all be part of my next EP (once I've written a few more songs).
Cool - I like the overall sonic. Ill pm ya as not to highjack thread.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Gearslutz App
Old 21st May 2012
  #30
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Downer View Post
Most ME's I work with don't use Ozone BUT use Tracks...
I know some very well recognised me that use ozone. It's preference.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Gearslutz App
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
hw2nw / Mastering forum
5
Bob Loblaw / Mastering forum
38
kieran kelly / Music Computers
4
bcgood / Music Computers
15

Forum Jump
Forum Jump