The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
analog synths....which ones are the sh*t? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Nut

analog synths....which ones are the sh*t?

what are some analog synths that you guys are using

......and how much do they cost??
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Addict

I wish I was using them... but just to get you started, check these out:

Old School -

- korg MS20
- Roland SH101
- Roland Juno 106
- Prophecy 5
- Anything by Moog

New School

- Dave Smith Polyevolver
- Studio Electronics SE-1x
- Anything by Moog

Cheaper New School

- Vermona
- MF Berlin

Just to get the ball rolling ;0)
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear
old school anything by Moog??
that's not necessarily true...

some of the cheaper smaller old Moogs... stay away from those,
unless u have money to burn.
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza
check these out:

Old School -

- korg MS20
- Roland SH101
- Roland Juno 106
- Prophet 5

New School

- Studio Electronics SE-1x
- latest ones by Moog

Just to get the ball rolling ;0)
I second this findings (erased/corrected the ones I think)
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Addict

Maybe I was munching the moog happy pills a little too hard there you're right.

Not all moogs are created equal.
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Addict

Some people rate the Andromeda as well... if you can get past the fact that it's an Alesis ;0)
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Maniac

sorry, not 100% analog:

Oberheim Matrix Series
Waldorf Pulse
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey, check out the Vintage Synth Explorer website.

It's got descriptions of tons of old (and new) synths.

You can get lost in there for hours.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/

Kind of reads like a buyer's guide to old synths, with ballpark figures on what you can expect to pay (some are very ballpark, btw.)

There's also the Synth Museum

http://www.synthmuseum.com/

More of a document than the vintage synth explorer, but an invaluable resource as well.

Check out T.O.N.T.O.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Roland Juno 106
Minimoog
Oberheim Matrix 12/Xpander

These are my top 3 favorite.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

hi. im the analog synth ****.

i checked out your page and your music, just to verify that my opinion will fit your need.

ive started countless friends on an analog synth journey, so i speak from experience. i think you should try stuff out (obviously) and make sure that it fits your music and budget of course. i would love to recommend top of the line synths (matrix 12, alesis andromeda, moog voyager) but ive found that sometimes its best to start small and upgrade or add to in the future. that said, you cant really go wrong by doing some research and of course trying it out.

real analog:
roland juno 106: ~$400 --- DCO, but awesome intro synth, portable, replaceable, stable, and its got tons of useful sounds (organ, bass, synth squelches, etc)

oberheim matrix - 6 or 1000: DCO again, but very underrated and extremely powerful. ~$350

yamaha cs series: do your research, most of these are great, although mono.

sequential circuits: the pro one is arguably the best mono ever for pure sound creation possibilities, the others in this genre (6 trak, prophet 600) are also great.

fake analog but still killer:
alesis ion/micron: this this is great, shreds the korg stuff in the same price range. try it out in GC and see how it stands up. if knobs are important to you, go with ion: ~$500

access virus: anything here will do, varying prices. module without keyboard will save you some $$$

korg ms20 with mini controller is killer. it works with your computer, but amazingly accurate sound and control. $250 used

nord lead 1, 2, or 3: this is the first and arguable defining virtual analog synth. you cant really go wrong with any of these, obviously the later model the better.
$500 or so, depending.

and up from there, well, it never ever ever stops.

alesis andromeda, matrix 12, obmx, minimoog, korg ms20
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have had nothing but love for my Alesis Andromeda & Virus C...

The Andromeda has a thick, dark tone that is very heavy and distinctive. The Virus is more agressive and edgy, and probably more versatile out of the box.

I'm sad to have to let mine go, they're both awesome & totally smoke soft-synths!
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gearslutz-secondhand-gear-classifieds/71766-fs-mackie-control-access-virus-c-alesis-andromeda-a6-waldorf-q.html
Old 30th May 2006
Here for the gear

minimoog
MS-20
SH101
moog rouge

just a few off the type of my head
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pour the cure
what are some analog synths that you guys are using

......and how much do they cost??
You can never have enough analogue

ARP 2600 is my favorite. I can use it blindfolded and can get the biggest variety of sounds out of it. It's also a great synth for throwing sounds through. Maybe $2500... My desert island synth.

Minimoog is just perfect for some things. Not HALF as flexible as an ARP, but if you want that sound, it's there. $1500-2000?

Anything modular! I love modulars
I'm lucky in that I got my stuff before the boom in prices (Buchla 200 for $1800 and the same for a 6 panel serge, VCS3 $1000, etc)
The most I paid was $5000 for an ARP 2500. I had a moog system, but the ARP beats it in my book on almost all levels. I reckon these are more like $10k plus ( mine has 2 wing cabinets)
Buchla is stupidly expensive these days. New or old. Brilliant machines though. The work of a genius.
New, the best value is probably www.synthesizers.com or www.doepfer.com Both good. Doepfer has a load of really interesting modules available.

Polyphonic, the Andromeda is great but I would grab a second hand Oberheim Xpander. Maybe $1500?

In short, you will need $1500 for anything classic or powerful enough to start on I reckon.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Maniac

another vote for the juno 106. very simple easy to use and has great sounds. also has midi and the ability to store sounds. great starter synth. find it on ebay for around $600 + or - a hundred.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Fatso
another vote for the juno 106. very simple easy to use and has great sounds. also has midi and the ability to store sounds. great starter synth. find it on ebay for around $600 + or - a hundred.
Or even better a Juno 60 with midi. I sold my juno 60 and got a 106. Mistake. The juno 60 was better sounding.
One of the bargains is a roland MKS7 rack. It's a juno 106 in a rack. 6 voices that can be split 2 ways (2 voice melody, 4 voice chord or 6 voice chord) plus a simple mono bass synth and tr707 samples for the drum section with individual outs.. Only pain is it has no battery for edits, so you have to store any sounds via sys ex (I think)
Advantages? I got mine for $150.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsubs
hi. im the analog synth ****.
what the hell is an "analog synth ****" ?

do u feel alright ?

dfegad tutt
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coil
what the hell is an "analog synth ****" ?

do u feel alright ?

dfegad tutt
I just wanted to say that something may have been lost in translation here - as I noticed you're from Germany.

If someone say's they're a '[something] ****' it means they're really uptight about that thing - for example my girlfriend could be described as a 'kitchen ****' because she always whinges at me about keeping the kitchen clean.

When 'Sound Subs' called himself the 'Analog Synth ****' he was just saying that he's really into using only analog synths, really uptight about the one's that he likes and really passionate about other people agreeing with him.

It's quite a common expression - and in no way what-so-ever does it have anything to do with fascism. I'm not saying it's a good expression, or that I agree with using it - I can see how it's quite insensative - but in 'Sound Subs' defence it's one of those expressions people just use without even thinking about it. Just one of those jokes that doesn't translate too well to say the least.

Kein problem

Rez
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley
Or even better a Juno 60 with midi. I sold my juno 60 and got a 106. Mistake. The juno 60 was better sounding.
One of the bargains is a roland MKS7 rack. It's a juno 106 in a rack. 6 voices that can be split 2 ways (2 voice melody, 4 voice chord or 6 voice chord) plus a simple mono bass synth and tr707 samples for the drum section with individual outs.. Only pain is it has no battery for edits, so you have to store any sounds via sys ex (I think)
You know what? I've heard for years and years people talking about how the Juno 60 sounds better than the 106 but then when I asked them whether they've heard them side by side the answer is always no.

So I took the opportunity last year to do a side by side test. I preferred the Juno 106. The Juno 60 is "fatter" but also I find it muddier sounding. There's some muddy frequencies in its fundamental tone that make it less clear and defined when recording. With the Juno 60, I had to EQ it to compensate whereas with a Juno 106 hits the right frequencies. Or to put it another way, the Juno 60 is "fatter" but the Juno 106 is "punchier". Take your pick.

So yeah, take the "fatter" Juno 60. It's not "fatter" like a Minimoog where the Minimoog is "fat" in the right frequences and you don't need to EQ it, or like the Oberheim Xpander. It's "fat" in this muddy way that imo is not so good.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley

I agree! I had an MKS-7 when I first started out and didn't appreciate how great it sounded and got suckered into trading it for an MT-32 . The only problem with the MKS-7 is that you have to edit it with a sysex editor and I don't think It has as many parameters to edit as as the 106? Just envelopes and cutoff/res no?
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

MKS-7 also can't store patches. When you turn it off it forgets your edits.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
You know what? I've heard for years and years people talking about how the Juno 60 sounds better than the 106 but then when I asked them whether they've heard them side by side the answer is always no.

So I took the opportunity last year to do a side by side test. I preferred the Juno 106. The Juno 60 is "fatter" but also I find it muddier sounding. There's some muddy frequencies in its fundamental tone that make it less clear and defined when recording. With the Juno 60, I had to EQ it to compensate whereas with a Juno 106 hits the right frequencies. Or to put it another way, the Juno 60 is "fatter" but the Juno 106 is "punchier". Take your pick.

So yeah, take the "fatter" Juno 60. It's not "fatter" like a Minimoog where the Minimoog is "fat" in the right frequences and you don't need to EQ it, or like the Oberheim Xpander. It's "fat" in this muddy way that imo is not so good.
I did TONS of records (mainly club stuff) with the 60 and it never sounded muddy (even in very busy tracks)
I found the 106 too thin in comparison, but each have their own place. If you need something to fit in, maybe the 106 works better, but I used the 60 for basslines mostly and it was MUCH better than the 106 for me. Maybe if I was using it for sequences or other stuff, I would find the 106 better, but the basic tone is still nicer to me on a 60.
The 60 may be less defined, but I find it's tone less "plastic" for want of a better word.
Depends what you are doing I guess....and what you like/prefer.
They are both great synths for the money, but for me, the 60 won hands down.

Another great synth which is the Kawai SX240. If you can find one, it's very much like a juno on steroids. 2 DCO, midi and some great extras.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg_T
I agree! I had an MKS-7 when I first started out and didn't appreciate how great it sounded and got suckered into trading it for an MT-32 . The only problem with the MKS-7 is that you have to edit it with a sysex editor and I don't think It has as many parameters to edit as as the 106? Just envelopes and cutoff/res no?
I believe it is fully editable and I forgot one biggy.
It is velocity sensitive unlike the 106. A nice bonus that.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

If you like to listen to some old synths, just register att http://www.bluesynths.com. There are LOTS of nice sounds there... thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by amino
If you like to listen to some old synths, just register att http://www.bluesynths.com. There are LOTS of nice sounds there... thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Thanks for the Great Link!! What a resource!! The SEMTEX sounds truley sick. Now I want one
Old 8th April 2012
Lives for gear

Roland Juno 6,60,106 (Not **** just really over priced) Alpha 1 and 2 JX3,Korg Poly 61 polysix Roland Sh101, MC202, Yamaha Cs01 Cs05 Cs15 Moog Opus3,Rouge,Micro and the Radio Shack version too
all over priced for what they are. and all poor substitutes for Prophet 5, Jupiter8 OB8 OBXa CS80 Minimoog ARP Oddasey. all of which will cost you your right arm left leg right foot a kidney and half your liver
Old 8th April 2012
Lives for gear

i can tell you which ones are ****. lol
Old 8th April 2012
mp3
Lives for gear

I have an AX-60 and AX-80. Also have an X-7000 which can be connected to the AX-60 to filter samples etc. The AXs are great and really don't sound like any of their peers, that's what I like about them most. They can be had for around $3-500 each depending on condition.

I also have a Roland HS-60 (juno 106 with speakers) with a broken voice chip, and a Yamaha SY2 in the shop for repair. I think I'm gonna sell the Roland when i get it fixed, because I prefer the AX-60. The SY2 I wanna eventually flip into one of the pre-MIDI monosynths like an Odyssey, MS-20, or Mono/Poly etc.
Old 8th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
i can tell you which ones are ****. lol
Oh Yes So can I
Old 8th April 2012
Lives for gear

I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS A analog synth BUT RHODE 73
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTA_ONE View Post
I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS A analog synth BUT RHODE 73
Oh one of those I'll give you £50 if its that bad then

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search