The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
analog synths....which ones are the sh*t? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamster View Post
Oh one of those I'll give you £50 if its that bad then
HUH ??
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

For this day and age, although not all are pure analog

Dave Smith Poly Evolver
Anything by MOOG
Virus TI or TI2
Roland Vsynth.
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Well the SE Omega-8 with CS80 filters it the King of turd mountain
In my opinion , it,s not just the sh*t, it is the sh*t.

LK
Old 9th April 2012
Here for the gear

another vote for the SH101, Korg MS series sound meaty too. Actually I really like the Korg Monotribe too, seriously big sound for that money...
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

have a few: juno 6, minimoog, prodigy, cs5,... but the real sh** is the "MOOGERFOOGER 107" the freqbox! it's an oscillator that follows the tuning of the incoming signal (VCO). this "extra" oscillator can be added to any source, plug in any synth, even a guitar/bassguitar, or any other linelevel signal. I love this box... check youtube, lots of vids...
Old 10th May 2012
Gear Head

Old 13th May 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta Eve Music View Post
Yes, I agree. I can't believe anyone pays those prices for the Studio Electronics stuff. Or buys them at all.
Having now owned 3 analog synths, I can say that filters make a synth. That said, SE's concept of removable filters is genius and, if making money off of your music, spending that kind of cash pales in comparison to the sonic gain.

Sent from my MB855 using Gearslutz App
Old 13th May 2012
The EMS VCS3 is the greatest for the creation of bass and noise!
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meta Eve Music View Post
Yes, I agree. I can't believe anyone pays those prices for the Studio Electronics stuff. Or buys them at all.
I take it you,ve probably never used one..........

LK
Old 14th May 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

The SE stuff is incredible. Also love macbeth for those MOOG like filters. The whole eastcoast sound is captured well in these peices.
Old 18th May 2012
Gear Head

Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Addict

I use regulary my Roland MKS-70 for pads, analog poly sounds, leads and sometimes bass and the Roland SH-101 mainly for basses.

Sudad G
Old 23rd May 2012
Lives for gear

anybody played with the dave smith mini mopho or tetra? I was watching some youtube vids the other day and Im seriously thinking about grabing one. Probably the mopho for the price
Old 23rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Im using a Studio Electronics SE1-X for bass and mono lead and Roland MKS-80 for my poly. I have had no desire to add to, or replace either. Along with the Tempest my analog synth palette is pretty diverse.
Old 6th July 2012
Lives for gear
had a few (mainly DCO) but have only kept 2 x Polysix and the JX-3P. When push came to shove these were the synths I prefered for my music/sound when others had to go. SH-101 was nice though
Old 6th July 2012
Lives for gear

Mini Moog Voyager
Mini Moog /Midi Mini/ Midi Moog
Memory Moog
Moog Source
Octave Cat
Prophet 5
Jupiter 8
Jupiter 6
MKS 80
Andromeda A6
ATC -1/x
SE- 1x
SH-09
SH-3A
Pro One
Oscar
Juno 60/106
Korg Monopoly
Korg MS20
Sidstation
Old 6th July 2012
Gear Head

All synths. Out there have their own character. So for me is the polysix and the Yamaha's DX. I love their charcter

Sent from my DROID X2 using Gearslutz App
Old 4th December 2012
Here for the gear

My current favorite synth is the DSI Mopho Keyboard Synth and it's only around $800 new! Check out some other cheap, analog synths here affordableanalogsynths.com
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

I have tried them all except a Prophet 5. The ones I kept is the Voyager,Ms-20 and OBXA. It depends on what you like.I love dark,epic and grimey sounds. I am on the fence about the Voyager which is more funky. The MS 20 is good grungy bass but both are mono. By far my favorite is the OBXA. MAD expensive and complicated but this thing can do scary,dirty,lush and epic. Youtube its demo by retrosound. This thing can sound like a anthem or like the dirtiest,lowest grimiest thing on the planet. If I had to keep only one it would be this one. And though its fully analog it can save presets.

The point is every synth has its place but cant do it all. Do you want lush smooth pads. Radias is good at that,Moog is great for funky or smooth lines and smooth low stuff,Ms-20 gets dirty and low but OXBA can do lush and beautifull or Disgusting. I hear alot about the Andromeda but hear the demos is sounds to smooth and pretty for me. I hate the Virus TI. Sounded like a thin sissy to me. Just wasnt for me. I know it THE synth for pop and dance/techno but Id rather have the Ms 2000 which sounded more grity. But still not good enough to keep.
Old 4th December 2012
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
By far my favorite is the OBXA.
the fact people are paying more money for the OB-8 at the moment is hilarious, UK OBXa prices have dropped madly low - the OB-Xa is the synth that keeps me awake at night, it must be mine!! My Memorymoog had better be on its best behavior or its getting flogged for an Obie.

SH101 is a great synth, but people are sleeping on the more analogue more BEEFY SH-2 which now goes for a similar price, only the keys are a bit of a let down.

another name every synth ever thread? search function needs usage.

too many bargains to list, again.
Old 4th December 2012
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
Also love macbeth for those MOOG like filters.
demos sound super creamy - if you hear a good demo with deep bass please post as not heard one yet.

yum yum

Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
the fact people are paying more money for the OB-8 at the moment is hilarious, UK OBXa prices have dropped madly low - the OB-Xa is the synth that keeps me awake at night, it must be mine!! My Memorymoog had better be on its best behavior or its getting flogged for an Obie.

SH101 is a great synth, but people are sleeping on the more analogue more BEEFY SH-2 which now goes for a similar price, only the keys are a bit of a let down.

I may be weird but I like the Arp Oddessey better than the moog,although the Moog is just so damn pretty and comfy to use. But the OBXA is the greatest synth ever made to me. Im still trying to love the Voyager,but it still has a digitalness to it that leaves me unsatisfied. I really have to mess with it more and try running it through my dbx 120.
Old 6th December 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Are you talking about the Roland Sh-201? If so, it's digital.
Old 6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Yup..nice. Personally in the MONO world Arps are nice. I really love my CODE it sure can do poly but also is a monsterous MONO.

OBXA and the Minimac are left on the list. That and the right Arp if it ever comes around.
Old 6th December 2012
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Are you talking about the Roland Sh-201? If so, it's digital.
nope - the 101, nice synth but the SH2 sounds more analogue, is more brutal and does deeper bass.

@David is that your SH2? looks clean, any issues with the keys? I really don't like my keys... I got a 'service' and 2 of the keys still don't trigger 100% of the time. But have fallen back in love with its bass, given its now selling for lower prices (about same as 101) I'd rather keep than sell.

the SH5 though....

Quote:
Yup..nice. Personally in the MONO world Arps are nice.
and

Quote:
I like the Arp Oddessey better than the moog,
Arps are def more slept on than Moogs, uk ARP prices are getting lower - would love an Oddessy, recon I'll only have funds for a AXXE though - fancy checking out a Solina or Omni for nice warm strings, failing that a Korg Lambda.
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
@David is that your SH2?

and

Arps are def more slept on than Moogs, uk ARP prices are getting lower - would love an Oddessy, recon I'll only have funds for a AXXE though - fancy checking out a Solina or Omni for nice warm strings, failing that a Korg Lambda.
No SH2 here. I am kind of looking for one. The Odyssey is my favorite Mono. Amazingly flexible and still affordable. You really should try and save up for one if poss!
Old 6th December 2012
SEED78
would love an Odyssey - SH2 is not nearly as versatile, have managed to bug it out by feeding it into itself to nice effect though.

I'm trying to push myself past my mono needs at the mo and decide on my poly needs - am getting a memorymoog fixed up, then will sell second kidney for a OBXa, while also picking up something more 'ravey' like a 8000 or 8080, and an extra vintage like a D550. add tx802/tx816, JD990 and I'll be starting to feel happy poly wise.

only thing I might add mono wise to my SH2/ATC-1 combo in near future would be something cheap like a Shruthi, or a Pulse as they are more digital sounding than what I have now, in a good way. OR an AXXE as they are like £300-400 these days.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search