The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shure SM-7b vs. CAD E-200
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Shure SM-7b vs. CAD E-200

I read a lot aboout the Shure SM7B and think it is an interesting mic. Has anyone comapred that one with the CAD E-200?

To be honest: I bought the E-200, because I read that some famous names love the sound of the CAD mics (E.G.: Teddy Riley) and use them. I used it on lots of vocal recordings and some guitar recordings. I liked them, but I had no chance to compare them with the shure or even with a more expensive tool! I know both mics are not as good as a Brauner or Soundelux, but how good are they compared to each other? Any ideas?
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Wondering if anyone used the CAD???
Old 22nd June 2006
Gear Nut

I bought a CAD Equitek E-200 about 10 years ago and it was my only LDC until a few weeks ago. I recently got an AT4047, an AT4060, an AEA R84 and an SM7B. I've only begun trying the new mics, but I can give you my first impressions of the SM7B after using the E-200 for so long.

E-200: It picks up more room sound, it's more detailed. The high end is crisp, but it can get kind of harsh on some voices. It works well for acoustic guitars, mandolins. Maintaining the 2 internal 9V batteries is a pain.

SM7B: It's sounds more 'close-up' and aggressive, it picks up very little room noise, the high end is very smooth. Think radio commercial voiceover. It needs 55-60db of gain. It's less natural, but very musical. I haven't tried it on acoustic instruments yet, but I don't have very high expectations for it in that context.

I'm mostly doing singer-songwriter work and have no hip hop experience. But I suspect the SM7B would really shine in that context.
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

I still have one of those here (I had a pair until last year), it was my first "pro mic" and used it no alot of recording, it used to be my go to mic.

I like the mic alot. It captures alot of details on the voice, it sounded a little bit thin, but nothing that a nice premp can't solve. I use it as a room mic more now these days (drums, guit, and even brass). But I always considered a nice bang for your buck.

I've use the SM7 and i sounded always good with screamer singer (I do a lot of rock).

Thats only my 2 cents

Hoe it helps
Old 23rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Sorry to admit that I made a big mistake! I do not own a E-200, it is an E-350! And I do love it on my voice and the voice of a lot of female artists. This Mic does not sound superior on some male voices in my experience. It is good on acoustic instruments to me.

What do you think of that one?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search