The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what other gear do i need
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Nut

what other gear do i need

I have about 30,000 to spend this year on creating a Proffesional recording studio.
We want to be able to make a high quality radio ready song, cd or album from this setup. I want to be able to track, mix and master with proffesional quality.

I want to be able to do 24 tracks of analog to digital recording, with the option of digital mixing and analog mixing, as well as analog mastering and digital mastering.

We do hip hop and r&b as well as a lot of sampling style music from metal to vintage rock and etc.

We only record one track at a time, maybe 2 at the most, every now and then we will bring in a instrument player to lay something live, but only one track at a time.

Our current gear list is as follows.
pthd2, no 192 i/0 yet
fantom x6 with 2 xp sound sets
m audio b4 mointors
amd athlon fx 3.1 ghz with 1.5 gig of ram
amd 3000 2.16 ghz with 1.5 gig of ram
mpc 2000xl
002 rack
c1 beringer mic condenser
project studio tube mic pre
oxygen 8 midi keyboard 49 keys
SOFTWARE
battery 2
ableton 5.2
pt 7.1
east west storm breakz, drums form hell 2
uad 1 flexi pack, reason 3.0, virtual gutarist 2, recycle
acid 5.0, kinetic and waves 2006 demo plugins Platinum edition

next i want giga studio and rmx stylus 5.1

I dont know where to go next i guess its time to up the mic and micpre and monitors, and i know what to get neve, api etc.

But i want a analog console, after that i dont know what to get please help.
please help. thanks for any knowledge.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexxon
I have about 30,000 to spend this year on creating a Proffesional recording studio.
We want to be able to make a high quality radio ready song, cd or album from this setup. I want to be able to track, mix and master with proffesional quality.

I want to be able to do 24 tracks of analog to digital recording, with the option of digital mixing and analog mixing, as well as analog mastering and digital mastering.

We do hip hop and r&b as well as a lot of sampling style music from metal to vintage rock and etc.

We only record one track at a time, maybe 2 at the most, every now and then we will bring in a instrument player to lay something live, but only one track at a time.

Our current gear list is as follows.
pthd2, no 192 i/0 yet
fantom x6 with 2 xp sound sets
m audio b4 mointors
amd athlon fx 3.1 ghz with 1.5 gig of ram
amd 3000 2.16 ghz with 1.5 gig of ram
mpc 2000xl
002 rack
c1 beringer mic condenser
project studio tube mic pre
oxygen 8 midi keyboard 49 keys
SOFTWARE
battery 2
ableton 5.2
pt 7.1
east west storm breakz, drums form hell 2
uad 1 flexi pack, reason 3.0, virtual gutarist 2, recycle
acid 5.0, kinetic and waves 2006 demo plugins Platinum edition

next i want giga studio and rmx stylus 5.1

I dont know where to go next i guess its time to up the mic and micpre and monitors, and i know what to get neve, api etc.

But i want a analog console, after that i dont know what to get please help.
please help. thanks for any knowledge.
you have pt hd but your only monitors are maudio bx4's? i'd start there personally =)
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Nut

a bunch of flakes

i thought this forum was to help people. i dont know much about internet manners and the like i am just a truck driver trying do something i love and all i get is abunch of flakes i sorry to bother you guys
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
i thought this forum was to help people. i dont know much about internet manners and the like i am just a truck driver trying do something i love and all i get is abunch of flakes i sorry to bother you guys
i'm pretty sure Con made a valid point. i looked at your list and your monitor choice struck me as odd also. I would definitely start there...now i will go flake off somewhere..
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
why do you call everyone a flake? because of MY comment? that's not very fair to everyone else...
and i was serious, if you have pro tools hd, which cost about as much as a baby on the black market, i think the $150 monitors should either get a new big brother or be replaced... in MY opinion.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Naw fam he's right son, u wanna do radio ready but u rock a b1, c1, and bx4 and got 30K to spend son. I would re-evaluate ya gear and get rid of some of that. Cuz 10'gz can get u you alot son soo.... were just dat dirty rotten cousin you hate but @ the end you'll be glad we pissed you off. So lets start from scratch.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

You guys are just rude!!!! heh
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Nut

thats why im here!!!!!!

ok so tell what monitors to get i was just getting what i could get at the time becouse of so much crazy stuff u see and hear. so i am asking what mic and monitors then and i havent even opened the pthd yet because i havent recieved the audio interface yet. i have very little time left my vacation is almost over and i am on the road for 3 to 4 months
dfegad
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

i would look at Dynaudio BM5a (or BM6a) or possible Event ASP8. Just my opinion.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Nut

i got some dough

just tell me what would give me a pro setup. plz
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwun25
i would look at Dynaudio BM5a (or BM6a) or possible Event ASP8. Just my opinion.
flake
Old 26th May 2006

Quote:
just tell me what would give me a pro setup. plz
Genelec 8240 with the single 12" subwoofer...
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by con?one
flake
ha!
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

Go to Tony's website and peep his Top 5... or actually just give him a call heh ... 30k is mos def gonna help with a lot of your issues (I'm not sure what you consider professional)... btw... is your room treated... cop new monitors... mic/mic pre... DI Boxes... your plugs are demos... so I'd look into that... dead the sample cd's and cop a boat load of wax...

You have so many options... remember you dont have to spend it all at once... you really should talk to Tony... and think it thru...

Originally I wanted to say use the 30K and buy some balls, patients and personality... you'll need them if your that SENSITIVE after only one reply....

Maybe invest in a De-esser for your CB Radio... jk...

Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

****....he still needs an audio interface to go with his HD2 or whatever gear to buy wont do u any good if he can't record and mix.

Maybe he didnt post a full list of his gear??? or who let you buy HD2 without an interface?....get rid of that saleperson quickly.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

ADDONZ

COP TWO OF THESE

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/da16x.php

AND

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/xcards.php

TO HOOK IT UP TO YOUR HD2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BANG BANG !!
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

MONITORS

ADAM S3A

Or Genelecs!!

30K, Blow whats left on dope channel strips/comps, and yes CALL TONY!!
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Addict

Hey, I just did what you did (spent $60,000) and...

******IMO******

Speakers - Look at Emes Speakers (great stereo imaging and sound great) I bought the 'Blacks', Violets are nice too. A pair of the old genelec 1031's are always going to work. You may want a second pair like the Yamaha ns10's.

Get the 192 i/o and ad expansion.
Digi Midi i/o

Giga studio kicks ass, I got Giga orchestra on a custom built PC with a RME fireface 800.

I went with a MAC for my HD but not a huge difference these days. If you want to get on the net then go MAC.

You'll need some decent mic's - I reckon invest in a killer mic like the original AKG C12 not the reissue as it is ****. Also the Neuman m149 and u87 are worth a mention. Neuman km184 are great for percussion and guitar. Rode K2 a great mic. At40 series worth a look too. Everyone has to have a sm57 and sm7 no question!

Effects unit - t.c electronics m4000 or m3000

Stereo distressor's or original 1176 (I got distressor)

All the VST's like atmosphere, Trilogy etc.

Some decent cans like the Sennheiser hd580's or similar.

Cabling/mic stands (cost you min $2000 US to do it well). I went the Mogami where I could.

Clock - UA 2192 (also a great convertor) better than the 192 i/o.

Muc pre's and eq's- This is a hard one but I'm all for a selection of good pre's.
Look at the Pacifica (warm and sweet), germanium (warm with a bite), neve 1073 and 1081 (warm warm warm), Api 3 and 5 series (crunchy and tight for drums), great river, millenia, helios (good for rock) etc. GML 8200 is a nice eq. E labs lil friek good too I hear?
Look at JLM gear. He does a pre called the 99v that uses opamps.....NICE!

To sum up, this is what I think would work best. I am a musician before I'm an engineer so my ears do the testing. Everyone has a different opinion and if anything the more you ask the more confused you will be. Listen to as much as you can and go with what you think is best.

Good luck man!
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Uh, not to be rude... but why did you buy all that stuff if you didn't know what else in general you'd need. It seems that you bought kinda random stuff. An HD2 system without any converters? A Berhinger mic to use with an HD system? Two computers? An LE rig to accompany the HD rig, but yet really ****ty monitoring?

Also, there is no way in the world that you'll be able to do any mastering for 30K. Don't waste your time, your money, or your client's time. You can't even do the room construction for a professional mastering facilty for 30K. I'm not even sure the acoustical consulting and design could be done for too much less than that. You did post this in the High End forum.

My advice, would be to first, stop spending money and figure out what you really need before wasting more money.

Then, I would focus on a strong signal chain. If you have 30 grand to blow (i'd say you have a little more actually, because you should just sell that Digi002 and the slower computer, along with the behringer mic and the maudio monitors).

You need a few good mics, a good preamp, a good compressor, a good EQ, good conversion, and good cabling. You'll probably want a few of each actually for a few choices. There's tons of threads on here about strong signal chains, just search for them.

Look at your monitoring. Look at your room. Make sure they are both in line. Perhaps get an acoustical consultant to look at your place.

Drop the MPC2K. Get either a 60 or 3000.

I'm not sure that you need to have a strong analogue mixing setup AND a strong digital mixing setup. Just pick one and do it well. I'd say that the new Toft console (if it ever materializes) would be pretty sweet. Either that or the new ToneLux console. If I was doing hip-hop on your budget, i'd probably either get a summing solution, or just stay in the box.

One other thing. If you're still pretty green to engineering, I might sell the HD rig (or return it), do pre-production to your tracks at home with the 002 and one of the computers, and then just go to a pro studio for all your other needs. You'll learn a ton and likely get a better sounding product.

Also, i'd say stop wasting money on sample libaries. All of the stuff sounds stale after a while.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

thanks man

thanks jazzy alz and tibbon u are real peoples i think u know where i am coming from and thks for the solid advice. i guess i gave more income than knowledge, my problem is i focused on making money instead of making music and know that i get dough i want to do the stuff i always wanted when i was 16 which was 17 years ago.

so i yesssss i know i am green and a lot of people just was telling me stuff to make money and not telling me the truth and i am 17 years behind the curve thats why i came to u guys. i am willing to do what it takes. btw sorry for being sensitive, just frustrated ya know. peace
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
thanks jazzy alz and tibbon u are real peoples i think u know where i am coming from and thks for the solid advice. i guess i gave more income than knowledge, my problem is i focused on making money instead of making music and know that i get dough i want to do the stuff i always wanted when i was 16 which was 17 years ago.

so i yesssss i know i am green and a lot of people just was telling me stuff to make money and not telling me the truth and i am 17 years behind the curve thats why i came to u guys. i am willing to do what it takes. btw sorry for being sensitive, just frustrated ya know. peace

All the gear in the world won't get you anywhere without creativity. Search for great music and work with passionate and inspiring musicians. Chasing money won't work. First comes good music then money (if you do it right). Are you going to be working on your own music or just doing others/both?
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
If you're still pretty green to engineering, I might sell the HD rig (or return it), do pre-production to your tracks at home with the 002 and one of the computers, and then just go to a pro studio for all your other needs. You'll learn a ton and likely get a better sounding product.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search