The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rap vocal recording
Old 26th May 2006
Here for the gear

Rap vocal recording

I use a Neumann Tlm-103 ----> Manley VoxBox ---> HD 192i/o when recording rap vocals. This is the only chain I´ve got, and I´m not too pleased with the results when recording male rap vocals. In my ears, the vocal sounds dull or muffled. (however I get pleasing results when recording female singers).

Does anyone here have experience with the combination tlm-103 and VoxBox? Any thoughts on what settings might work for rap on the VoxBox (Gain, attack/release, threshold).

Like I said, I´m not pleased with how it sounds, and wonder if I should get a different mic, or pre-amp, or if there should be another link in the chain before it hits the DAW?
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Might be the room your recording the vocals in. The reason females sound better is because they dont have as deep of a voice so you dont get all that low end build up that you do with the guys.

Also the TLM103 is a fairly bright mic. So I dont think its your chain.

Here's some advice I got:
Quote:
Your best bet with a square booth is to use a combination of broadband traps and foam... if ALL you have is foam your booth is going to sound 'boxy' and 'muddy' because all of the low mids will be bouncing around creating nulls and peaks, while all the high end will be dead. You´re really going to want to invest in some 'bass traps'... you could make some yourself... buy some 703 or 705 owens corning fiberglass insulation (2x4´) and wrap it in burlap. Mount a few of these to the walls and ceiling and you´ll be in better shape. Make some small traps for the corners and you´ll be doing even better.... although you might run out of space.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skrimps
I use a Neumann Tlm-103 ----> Manley VoxBox ---> HD 192i/o when recording rap vocals. This is the only chain I´ve got, and I´m not too pleased with the results when recording male rap vocals. In my ears, the vocal sounds dull or muffled. (however I get pleasing results when recording female singers).

Does anyone here have experience with the combination tlm-103 and VoxBox? Any thoughts on what settings might work for rap on the VoxBox (Gain, attack/release, threshold).

Like I said, I´m not pleased with how it sounds, and wonder if I should get a different mic, or pre-amp, or if there should be another link in the chain before it hits the DAW?
have you tried it with another mic or pre?
are you overcompressing on the way in?
Old 26th May 2006

I would try using another mic... the TLM 103 isn't a favorite of mine.
Old 26th May 2006
Here for the gear

Which mic would you recommend with the VoxBox then?
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Addict

It's true that the 103 isn't the dopest mic.

But seriously - don't undervalue the importance of the room. It can change everything. People always want shiney new gear.

Maybe grab an SM7b - that's a wicked mic for male rap vox and takes the room out of the equation.
Old 27th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skrimps
Which mic would you recommend with the VoxBox then?
I couldn't recommend a particular mic without knowing the voice and the space it was being recorded in... If it's in a bedroom, 99% of the time an SM7 or other dynamic is the best choice.. If you have a nice vocal booth (not stuffed from floor to ceiling with Auralex), than the Peluso 22 47LE, 22 251, Neumann U87, and countless others can be good choices..
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

I agree with con?one... you must be overcompressing on the way in, or overdoing the de-esser section. I've used a 103 with a VoxBox, and seen it used on several rap records, and never experienced or heard of a problem like you're describing.

Sure, there are better mics out there, but those two pieces should and have done the job. A female singer wouldn't hit the compressor as hard (assuming the settings are similar), so I'd take a look at that.
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Head

what about the c1?
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Maniac

sm7, sm57, sm 58.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search