The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Breaking in Headphones?
Old 16th April 2012

Breaking in Headphones?

Whats the best way to break in a pair of headphones. I have a pair of ultrasones I purchased way back that i never used, but i remember the sales guy from audio telling me you should burn in the coil by letting them blast some music. I forgot how long he said though, if i'm not mistaken it was something like 3 or 4 days. Anybody know if there is any merit to this?
Old 16th April 2012
Jack of all Trades
I believe the standard "break-in time" is roughly 40 hours - but honestly if you just use them for a while it's going to break them in.
Old 16th April 2012

They already starting to break in cause i can hear the difference,but i figure i just let them blast for a day or two. Thanks for the reply. Gotta be nice from now, just caught an infraction.
Old 16th April 2012
Jack of all Trades
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesEdward View Post
They already starting to break in cause i can hear the difference,but i figure i just let them blast for a day or two. Thanks for the reply. Gotta be nice from now, just caught an infraction.
Lol - I learned a long time again not to worry about the little arguments. When your online you never know how a person means to come across. We are cool my man.

My account has been banned before. Three infractions here.
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesEdward View Post
I forgot how long he said though, if i'm not mistaken it was something like 3 or 4 days. Anybody know if there is any merit to this?
It depends on the headphone, I would look into what Ultrasone recommends. My Senn 650s for example took over 2 weeks to break in, but my cheaper 280's sound exactly as they did out of the box.

You could just put one of your favorite CDs on loop and let it play, just don't over-do it and play them at an insane volume level, that's not going to break them in any quicker. Good luck!
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

Leave audio playing through them over night until you feel they are finally broken in well enough. You can vary the variety of the songs you chose to play through them (something top heavy, mid heavy, and something with plenty of bottom end) to make sure it's being broken in well across a full range of frequencies.

Doing this for a couple of nights will definitely speed up the process of braking them in.
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

I heard through the grapevine that leaving test tones (white noise etc) at night for a couple weeks dies the trick nicely
Old 19th April 2012
Gear Addict

I made a file of some white and pink noise, as well as some hip hop tracks (what I primarily use them for, genre wise) and let it loop for like 2 days on medium volume. I don't know if it made a difference but it gives me peace of mind that I did it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search