The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hard disk recorders and nice converters?
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Head

Hard disk recorders and nice converters?

Hi Guys, I'm new here!

I've been lurking for a long time and gleaning tons of great info, THANKS!
I collect records and make music by sampling. I'm a bit cro-magnon and still love my mpc3000, sp1200, emax and analog synths.

I've been recording on my computer for the last few years, but I work on computers all day and I get pretty tired of seeing one when I wanna make music. That leads me to my question, can I achieve a decent pro-level recording using a standalone digital workstation and a better pre-amp/converter, like an api A2D?

It seems that these days, most workstations have usb that would let me move wav.s into a computer at the big studio. What are the pitfalls of a set-up like this?

What is the recorder to buy these days, money aside (they are pretty cheap, even at the top end)? I want an all in one box, not just a recorder like an Alesis hdr. Size is a consideration, I want to be able to record in my apartment closet, and take it to the studio. So far the yamaha aw2400 looks like the winner.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate your help!! peace out...
Old 13th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
Hi Guys, I'm new here!

I've been lurking for a long time and gleaning tons of great info, THANKS!
I collect records and make music by sampling. I'm a bit cro-magnon and still love my mpc3000, sp1200, emax and analog synths.

I've been recording on my computer for the last few years, but I work on computers all day and I get pretty tired of seeing one when I wanna make music. That leads me to my question, can I achieve a decent pro-level recording using a standalone digital workstation and a better pre-amp/converter, like an api A2D?

It seems that these days, most workstations have usb that would let me move wav.s into a computer at the big studio. What are the pitfalls of a set-up like this?

What is the recorder to buy these days, money aside (they are pretty cheap, even at the top end)? I want an all in one box, not just a recorder like an Alesis hdr. Size is a consideration, I want to be able to record in my apartment closet, and take it to the studio. So far the yamaha aw2400 looks like the winner.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate your help!! peace out...

Hi friend, im in the same "problem".
Im looking for the standalone recorder for tracking, because for me, i feel myself way better tracking in something which will make me feel " playing music " and nothing "programming " the computer.
Im researching for a long time, and that akay 24 looks good. So, the Yamaha aw and tascam can do the job for tracking and then transffer data for the damn software to edit and mix in a pro studio or whatever.
Meus dos pesos.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search