The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
making things LESS punchy
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

making things LESS punchy

Now that i've learned to pick phatter and fuller drum sounds from the start, i'm finding myself more and more making drums less punchy. I've really spent a lot of sweat learning how to use compression. i've studied great recordings to check out the compression, even to the point where i'm trying to hear what compressors are being used and what time settings are used. i used to be a the kinda guy who eq'd to death, but now that i'm getting a good grasp on compression, i don't reach from eq nearly as much.

anyways back on topic. i was curious how many of you guys find yourselves taking some attack off of drums? and what compressors are you loving for this task?
i'm big on the 1176 right now. i just dig the way it operates.

oh yeah, check out the GateComp that comes with the UAD cards. MAN instant punchy snares.

holla back
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

Software comps can be good for taking the crack out of the attack, since they can be faster than hardware comps. But I do like my Distressor, too.

And it sounds to me like you'd LOVE the SPL Transient Designer. It's on my short list.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Head

SPL Transient Designer is MAGIC on drums!!

You can really play with the attack and release of your sounds and get very good results in a matter of seconds.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

How about letting the drummer play softer? Or did you just mean what to do in the mix?
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

yeah i was talking about in the mix. Hip hop also, so no drummerthumbsup

I gotta check for that transient designer. i know it's not too expensive. waves makes a plugin that does that same kinda thing right? cant remember the name though...
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you are using a sampler, adjusting the attack and maybe the decay will give you similar results as transient designer as long as you want to get rid of the transient. Other than that on the pluginside you have transx by waves that is as good or better that transient designer in my opinion (more options).
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

My favorite thing about the 1176 is messing with the release to get some nice pumping going on. I try to get the release timed so that the meter hits zero within a quarter or eigth note of the tempo. I use the attack as I normally would to eat up the intital attack or preserve it.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy655
I gotta check for that transient designer. i know it's not too expensive. waves makes a plugin that does that same kinda thing right? cant remember the name though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik
on the pluginside you have transx by waves that is as good or better that transient designer in my opinion (more options)
There's also the TransMod by Sony. Both the plugs can be cool and do have more tweakability, but to me, the SPL just has that... I dunno, that extra little something. Maybe it's the hardware vs. plug thing, but the SPL seems to just work better. Plus, isn't it always better to get the signal right before going into the box? And as a bonus, the SPL can, in many cases, replace a compressor on the front end.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

transient designer kicks ass.

i have the creamware pulsar plugin. one of my secret weapons
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

if ur in the digital realm check out:
waves trans-x
voxengo transmodder
voxengo marquis

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search