The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is The Ns-10 Still The King In Hip Hop/R&B Mixing? Studio Monitors
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Is The Ns-10 Still The King In Hip Hop/R&B Mixing?

Is this still the speaker of choice? What about the Pro Go To Guys for mixing this type of music? What about this, is there still a standard?
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

NS10's

Every Studio has them....but they are used more of reference speaker(sometimes) more than a mix speaker....and they are not specific to just Hip Hop....everyone uses them....

KRK's series 1 (not series 2) and NS10's are pretty common in big studios.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphony
Every Studio has them....but they are used more of reference speaker(sometimes) more than a mix speaker....

What?

Everyone I know who has them mixes on them. I wish I had a pair right now...
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
What?

Everyone I know who has them mixes on them. I wish I had a pair right now...

dude read the brackets.....
I know but the next question he's going to ask is if he should buy them? Would you buy a $200 speaker for $800....probably not....if you can find someone who has them and doesn't know what they are then grab them but don't go out an buy them....for the price people are posting them at...
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyphony
dude read the brackets.....
I know but the next question he's going to ask is if he should buy them? Would you buy a $200 speaker for $800....probably not....if you can find someone who has them and doesn't know what they are then grab them but don't go out an buy them....for the price people are posting them at...
I agree with the price thing. NS-10's are nice, but I've never seen the need to drop $700- $800 on 'em.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Head

$800 clams....thats absurd! That better come with the toilette paper.....is it 1 ply or two.. cant remember......
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

You should see NS10's as reference monitors. Engineers use(d) them as reference like others use Cheap PC speakers or Ghettoblasters as a reference. I've never done a single mix on them that sounded like an actual mix

They probably have the worst frequency responce chart in nearfield history too fuuck

Even Behringer truths sound less hyped

But you still need a reference heh
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Some like em some dont......

I wanna A/B the NS-10s with the new look-a-like Yama's . I did like how they sounded at G CTR while comparing them to the other monitors
Old 24th May 2006
no ssl yet
Everybody I know with em mixes on em.

(except me.) I'm holding on afraid to sell UNless I'm offered $800heh
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztone
Is this still the speaker of choice? What about the Pro Go To Guys for mixing this type of music? What about this, is there still a standard?

So it seems they still may be KING? Who are the other say top "5" considered "Proven" speakers for Pro (translates universally)mixing?

Genelec?
Tannoy? Maybe 15 years ago.
Dynaudio? Don't like the sound, translate excellent!
What do you guys Think
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

take a look on my avatar
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

I'm using a pair of NS-10's on a Bryston 4B, and a pair of HSM80's as we speak.
Yes they are sitting on top of a 900,000 dollar J series console.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

i use ns-10's with a bryston 4b.. don't really mix with them though. i check my mixes through them and i might edit something though them but i don't like mixing with ns-10's.. i stick to mackies and gen8050's...i love K&H 0300D's though
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Another vote for 10M's.

Jazz:

They're definately still prevelant, and relevant. The only other speaker I feel is interchangable with my NS's are the original Alesis Monitor Ones MKII's. Not the black rereleases, but the original graphite grey cased ones with the aqua green woofer. That said, I mix through my NS's and reference on my JBL 4311A's.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuru
Yes they are sitting on top of a 900,000 dollar J series console.

96ch with the surround option?

That's pretty high...even for a 9J
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have a pair (bought mine for 299.00 at Sam Ash), but I use the KRK ST-6's now instead, I get much better results.

BaseJase
ILLYNOISE
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztone
KRK E8T's are great!
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear
I use my NS-10's as a reference doing A-B comparisons with a trusted CD in a similar style that I am working on....
Does the amp make a Big difference? Currently I'm just using an Alesis RA-100"reference" amp.
Attached Thumbnails
Is The Ns-10 Still The King In Hip Hop/R&B Mixing?-1.jpeg.jpg  
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=djui5]96ch with the surround option?

That's pretty high...even for a 9J[/QUOTE

Well we bought it 5 years ago when the J was new. 96 frame it is.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti
Does the amp make a Big difference?
I wonder this also.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0
I wonder this also.
Bryston 4B is the only amp for NS10's.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I find the B&K ST202 and Hafler P3000 also work well with the NS's. If your willing to spend Bryston money, also check out McIntosh. Amps + speaker cable = big difference.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL Respect Due
I find the B&K ST202 and Hafler P3000 also work well with the NS's. If your willing to spend Bryston money, also check out McIntosh. Amps + speaker cable = big difference.
Awesome, thanks alot for the info
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Head

KRK V8's are right, whats the difference between series 1 & 2?
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Bought mine 10+ yrs ago.

Will NEVER let 'em go

It's the only 'Slutty' gear I have :(
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:

No it's not... STUDER A68 rocks them even better!!!
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Does the amp make a Big difference? Currently I'm just using an Alesis RA-100"reference" amp.
I bought a Bryston 2B off of my friend that he was using for his NS10's. He replaced it with an Alesis reference amp. He begged me to sell the Bryston back to him, made his NS10's unusable while my NS10's came alive. I do use mine with a consumer type sub though. I understand when people bitch about the lack of low end on the NS10's but with a sub, man- the detail I hear in well mixed albums is great.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickstein
I bought a Bryston 2B off of my friend that he was using for his NS10's. He replaced it with an Alesis reference amp. He begged me to sell the Bryston back to him, made his NS10's unusable while my NS10's came alive. I do use mine with a consumer type sub though. I understand when people bitch about the lack of low end on the NS10's but with a sub, man- the detail I hear in well mixed albums is great.
Thanks for the advice Brotha!
I bought my NS-10's about 20 years ago.
At the time, it seemed to be the only near-field option that I knew of.
Before getting the Alesis amp, I was just using an old Pioneer home stereo amp....so I have never really tried the NS-10's with a great amp, or a sub.
Is there a seperate output jack on the back of the Bryston, just for a sub?
It would be wonderful to actually enjoy listening and mixing on the NS-10's..I have cursed those speakers many times after listening to mixes that sounded cool on them in the studio, but with WAY too much bass and kick on other systems.
I have kept them mostly because they are immediatly reconized by new clients as speakers they have seen in big time studios.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Brotha!
I bought my NS-10's about 20 years ago.
At the time, it seemed to be the only near-field option that I knew of.
Before getting the Alesis amp, I was just using an old Pioneer home stereo amp....so I have never really tried the NS-10's with a great amp, or a sub.
Is there a seperate output jack on the back of the Bryston, just for a sub?
It would be wonderful to actually enjoy listening and mixing on the NS-10's..I have cursed those speakers many times after listening to mixes that sounded cool on them in the studio, but with WAY too much bass and kick on other systems.
I have kept them mostly because they are immediatly reconized by new clients as speakers they have seen in big time studios.
No you would need a seperate amp for a sub if thats what your gonna use.
The whole mojo of the Bryston 4B with the NS10 is that it's extremely overpowered, and makes the NS10 function at higher than normal efficiency.
Somthing akin to putting a drag racing engine in a pinto. Adding a sub into the mix would require a crossover, and imo would take away from the purpose of the NS10 in the first place.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

for the NS-10m's. I'm using mine with the very first edition vintage Crown DC 3000 power amp from 1967.

Crown raises the bar once more with the introduction of the DC-300 amplifier. It is the worlds first reliable, solid-state, high-power amplifier. Rated conservatively at 150 watts per channel, the amplifier features extremely low distortion and noise. Two years after its introduction, High Fidelity magazine calls it the worlds best stereo amplifier.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search