The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is The Ns-10 Still The King In Hip Hop/R&B Mixing? Studio Monitors
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuru
No you would need a seperate amp for a sub if thats what your gonna use.
The whole mojo of the Bryston 4B with the NS10 is that it's extremely overpowered, and makes the NS10 function at higher than normal efficiency.
Somthing akin to putting a drag racing engine in a pinto. Adding a sub into the mix would require a crossover, and imo would take away from the purpose of the NS10 in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
for the NS-10m's. I'm using mine with the very first edition vintage Crown DC 3000 power amp from 1967.

Crown raises the bar once more with the introduction of the DC-300 amplifier. It is the worlds first reliable, solid-state, high-power amplifier. Rated conservatively at 150 watts per channel, the amplifier features extremely low distortion and noise. Two years after its introduction, High Fidelity magazine calls it the worlds best stereo amplifier.
Awesome!
Well I have a nice Crown Macro Tech 2400 that I use for my main Amrita Monitors, but I never thought to use it on the NS-10's...I wouldn't want to blow em....
I wonder if it is reasonably safe to try at a low volume?
I am not sre how many watts the Crown is rated for, Watts confuse me.
I mean my Marshall 1/2 stack can shake things off the shelf, and it is rated at 50 watts, and I have seen car stereos rated at hundreds of watts.
I think a better rating would be to print how far the average guy could throw the amp..a dead drop being the very loudest.
I give my fan cooled Crown a watts rating of 8 feet....maybe too much for the little NS-10's
Attached Thumbnails
Is The Ns-10 Still The King In Hip Hop/R&B Mixing?-crown.jpg  
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

IMO the best speakers as we speak are the JBL LSR 6428P, or the PMC TB2S-A.

These speakers just never lie. Their price isn't bullsh*t either though ^^.

I own a pair of LSR 6428P. They're just amazing. I've never heard them, but I guess only the PMC TB2S-A, and the Dynaudio BM15A can get clause to them.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti
Awesome!
Well I have a nice Crown Macro Tech 2400 that I use for my main Amrita Monitors, but I never thought to use it on the NS-10's...I wouldn't want to blow em....
I wonder if it is reasonably safe to try at a low volume?
I am not sre how many watts the Crown is rated for, Watts confuse me.
I mean my Marshall 1/2 stack can shake things off the shelf, and it is rated at 50 watts, and I have seen car stereos rated at hundreds of watts.
I think a better rating would be to print how far the average guy could throw the amp..a dead drop being the very loudest.
I give my fan cooled Crown a watts rating of 8 feet....maybe too much for the little NS-10's
The Crown DC300 would be a dead drop. I think it weights like 40 lbs
Old 26th May 2006
no ssl yet
I have a crown PS 400, Does anyone know if it's worthwhile?

I got it years ago because someone traded me for a 1space peavey amp (my cousin was traveling and the crown was too big)

Anyway, the Peavey got stolen so I got to keep his Crown.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

KRK series 1 VS series 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangomixx
KRK V8's are right, whats the difference between series 1 & 2?

Series 1 have a sweet bottom end(depending on the time they were manufactured the older pairs are better than new one)

Series 2.....nasty horrible....it's just so typical that a sound company which makes a good product will go and change it and make it worse...
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Series 2.....nasty horrible....it's just so typical that a sound company which makes a good product will go and change it and make it worse...
Geez. I must have had a series 2.THey were absolote ****e. I sold them a little over two weeks of buying them.
I am a big fan of the original NS10.
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony666
You should see NS10's as reference monitors. Engineers use(d) them as reference like others use Cheap PC speakers or Ghettoblasters as a reference. I've never done a single mix on them that sounded like an actual mix

They probably have the worst frequency responce chart in nearfield history too fuuck

Even Behringer truths sound less hyped

But you still need a reference heh

Thank you!!!
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I didn't really get many responses as to alternatives to the NS-10. I once used the mackie 824 ina untreated room with the bass controls turn all the way down. I got a great clear mixx with the bass controls turned down.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti
I have kept them mostly because they are immediatly reconized by new clients as speakers they have seen in big time studios.
They do have that effect; although with that said, they're the one speaker I never let clients listen through.

I like them for what they tell me (though more often I go to them for an "is the mix finished?" kind of check than actual mixing), but allowing clients to base mix decisions on what they put out... Hell naw.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm running a pair of NS10 m's powered by a Hafler Transnova 9505 series amp with a consumer 10 inch powered sub. All my other speakers are in different areas of my home now.. Tannoy surround in my bedroom, Jbl LSR32's in the living room along side of a Tannoy surround for playback.

I absolutely love my NS10's more than ever now. Funny thing, When powering my Ns10's with a cheaper amp I kept blowing them up. Now (knock on wood) I've gone over a year and a half with out blowing up one component. And I completely crank um.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Nut

Glockenklang Bugatti amps are a TOP choice for NS10s

http://www.glockenklang.de/en/produc...cts_studio.htm
Old 31st May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY
I'm running a pair of NS10 m's powered by a Hafler Transnova 9505 series amp with a consumer 10 inch powered sub. All my other speakers are in different areas of my home now.. Tannoy surround in my bedroom, Jbl LSR32's in the living room along side of a Tannoy surround for playback.

I absolutely love my NS10's more than ever now. Funny thing, When powering my Ns10's with a cheaper amp I kept blowing them up. Now (knock on wood) I've gone over a year and a half with out blowing up one component. And I completely crank um.

Here's another big for the NS10 9505 combo. I wouldn't do a final mix without them.

P.S. Original dome tweeters RULE!!!
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Maniac

a low powered amp will induce alot of distortion (because your running it near maximum capacity).. a high powered amp won't (assuming it a decent one)..

so.. to avoid blowing speakers your better off with a high powered amp.. as long as you can resist the urge to crank it too far
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

fwiw,
i went from mackie hr824s to a mint pair of vintage tannoy dmt II 12's with a bryston 4bst last year. huge difference. no comparison. not even close.

new mackies = 1200.00

used tannoys dmt II 12's = 900+150 shipping
used bryston 4bst = 1350.00

make sure the tannoys are in good shape though. also a bryston 4b works well with them too. these are half the price of used 4bst's if you can find a good deal.
also hothouse amps are essentially made for the tannoy dmt's also. they come up used once in a while.

there are way better setups out there but for hiphop imo this is all you need. i also added a consumer sub for low end. perfect for hiphop in my opinion. the mackies always hyped the bass up which made them tricky to mix with. the tannoys arent hyped. real smooth. easy on the ears. they are still very revealing. and you can party with them if you want!!! i also got a pair of auratones for making sure bass/kicks poke through ****ty speakers.

good luck with your decision

peace,
electric

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search