The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Let's talk Reverb in Hip Hop Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Let's talk Reverb in Hip Hop

We all know that reverb is usually used very sparingly in today's hip hop mixes. Just wondering some ideas of how mixers are using verb. I usually have 2 per session. One large hall and one small room or ambience. Usually the lead rap vox gets just a touch of the hall (so you can barely hear it). The small room/plate is added the make the clap/snare have some life. Then various instruments get a touch of either.

I am using Waves Renn verb and also the MPX-1 (outboard).

I am curious if this is pretty typical for mixing hip hop.

Any ideas/ suggestions are appreciated.
Old 20th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine
We all know that reverb is usually used very sparingly in today's hip hop mixes. Just wondering some ideas of how mixers are using verb. I usually have 2 per session. One large hall and one small room or ambience. Usually the lead rap vox gets just a touch of the hall (so you can barely hear it). The small room/plate is added the make the clap/snare have some life. Then various instruments get a touch of either.

Halls suck for hip hop vocals... I prefer plates.
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Nut

Well, I think halls CAN work when plates don't. Though I'd be more likely to reach for a plate first, too.

With the RenVerb, I usually like to just dial in some early reflection instead of the full reverb, then maybe pull up the reverb just a touch to get it to sit right. Then, up a little more on bg's.

Just me...
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Nut

TC M3000

http://www.tcelectronic.com/M3000

Any opinions on this one. Use that on nearly everthing. Sounds good to me. Better than alll that bulls Plugin reverb thats sound like whatever....( Im not talin about Sony Oxford)

yo Tony Whats a reverb unit thats used on commerical records nowadays? What u think of that M3000 one?

Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
agree
Old 21st May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngkain
http://www.tcelectronic.com/M3000

Any opinions on this one. Use that on nearly everthing. Sounds good to me. Better than alll that bulls Plugin reverb thats sound like whatever....( Im not talin about Sony Oxford)

yo Tony Whats a reverb unit thats used on commerical records nowadays? What u think of that M3000 one?

A lot of different verbs are used... anything from a Princeton Digital 2016, Lex 224, 480, 960, AMS RMX16 to Waves Renn reverb and Altiverb, etc.
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

I also like the TC Reverbs! They can be configured really nice and often give a very good result! But Tony is right, there are lots of good reverbs! Find the right one for you!
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

The wizoo w2 verb is the one you might want to mess with if you haven't already. The most impressive sound i've heard so far, and the presets get you on your way quickly requiring only minor tweaking for the most part. I find using a vocal room or small room with like 18-25 ms of predelay works nice on lead vox, then dial in a tiny bit of hall verb used by the instruments in the mix and things will gel nice.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I use Space Designer sometimes. It's an impulse type. Pretty nice one. Also I like freeverb.

The less you hear it, the better.

BaseJase
Illynoise
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine

Dopmine , there were alot of good suggestions for reverb......

But maybe consider given your instrumentation a bit of life yet still sounding dry.....

Set up 3 reverbs, all small with varying degrees of length , maybe 50-60ms,70-80ms and 90-100ms , pre-delay can be according to tempo or a good starting point for RnB/Hiphop might be 5-15ms, you do not want them to distant from the source,now add tiny amounts to instrumets to give your mix a 3Dness and yet be careful not to add to much so as to be obvious , then mute them and have a listen to the mix , and then unmute them to have a listen to the difference , your instruments particulary your drums will sound ambient but still dry , you should feel an excitment in your mix that you cann't explain . Also play with the filters on the reverb so all the reverbs do not sit in the same register , maybe one can be dark another bright and the other somewhere inbetween.

Do not be afriad to use mono reverbs with slight pans also , for e.g. if you have a panned hi hat at 40% left ,do not be afraid to have a of centered mono verb 20% right, this will add glue to the mix , or even two mono verbs slightly different to mimic a stereo reverb(this give you good seperation) ! You can add more reverb to percussive instruments to give them depth of field as well, this will keep your hats,shkers,tri in the foreground and give distance to your percussion , once agian giving you depth of field and a sense of space and 3Dness.....

With vocs , i tend to use plates,small rooms and ambient reverbs with a rap , an RnB vocalist will usually get more treatment than a rapper .

Hope this gives you some ideas
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the good info!

I just used a plate on this new mix I'm working on and it's sounding pretty good!
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

a plate can work wonders if used right. love the real thing. uaudio plate verb is best plug i've heard.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Too bad the UA won't work with Protools Miix, I've heard great things about it.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

I love the 960. I use all four machines. Machine 1 is usually large hall. I wil send strings and various instruments thru it to enhance the depth of the overal mix. sometimes its fun to send a little of the kik thru it to get a boomy explosion effect. Machine 2 is usually percussion plate. Mostly snares, hates, perc, and guitars end up running through that. Adds a little headroom to a stuffy sound. Machine three is a great setting call silica beads. Its so amazing for female vocal groups. It boosts the highs but in a silky way. Machine four is medium room. This is my go to vocal verb, especially leads.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Head

I use TLSpace, Revibe, and RVerb. TLSpace is a great convolution verb with lots of cool presets and tweakability. Revibe is a great sounding 'digitally modeled' verb and only uses a half chip of dsp. RVerb works well on vox and is good for my medium verb. If I could afford it though, I would buy a Lexicon outboard verb. Their verbs are so good that the older ones from the 80's and early 90's came with their own computer and a controller that controlled the computer. Any unit that dedicates a whole computer to something has to be great (right?!). I've used the 400xl and it sound awesome. The higher-end lexicon units are probably out of most people price range, but they sound great.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

i never use any reverb on rap vocals. it takes away some of the agressiveness and pushes it back a bit. i like rap vocals to stand out front. I use short tight verbs on a few instr and snr/perc that need it.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Addict

On the music i may use any thing from 2 -4 reverbs normally.

Tc classicverb ,uad plate 140 normallyand maybe some convolution i.t.b.roland srv and lexicon spx 550 outside.

1 or 2 will be very rich and biased towards early reflections and the others heavier on the decay.

Mixture of plates,rooms and ambiences,use halls less often.

I normally "tune" the reverb to give me the tonality which i feel is right for the instrument/song.

Reverb may also be placed in series before or after certain fx like chorus/phase and delay to soften or cloud the sound a little so it doesn,t stick out so much.

On rapped vox its normally a little plate and delay with a hpf and lpf and sometimes a parametric eq with a thin cut on the send to avoid clouds of sibilance and other mess in the reverb channel.(i normally make this reverb a lot darker than the uneffected vox.)

Could also be room or ambience but never hall unless its a spot effect.

This chain will be dedicated to vox and set quite low in the mix,however level is automated to add a little extra to key phrases.

On a basic beat i,d be using at least 2 or 3 simple timed delays as well.

Panning mono sounds to specific sides of effects and also panning the effects returns themselves in order to avoid "Big Mono" in my fx spread.

I use a lot of fltering on my fx sends and returns in order to increase clarity and/or give a more pronounced effect.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps
never use any reverb on rap vocals.

i love it when people say this.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

the actual statement was "i never use reverb on rap vocals"
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

i was never using reverb on rap vocals. one day i went to an engineer home studio (for a mixtape) and i noticed how he used verb and delay on vocals (very small amout), i was not able to really hear the verb and delay but it clearly improved the vocals in a good way. now i try to do that.
Old 27th May 2006
Here for the gear

I like the 4.4 program on the PCM 70 for leads its a hall just depends
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

I havent been fond of reverb on rap vocals. Probably because my vocal booth tends to have just enough of a natural short reverb to it from the jump that gets picked up by whatever mic we use.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont

I'll second that
Old 10th September 2006
Here for the gear

try and buy a lexicon 224 xl reverb
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

I think using reverb on hiphop vocals is all about subtlety.

I set it so that I can't really hear it, but when I bypass it, it sounds like something's missing.

If it sounds better in bypass, obviously it's not working for the track (yes, obviously.)
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

again?

i never use any reverb weither vox or whatever.
this has been a creative decision on my side.

lately people'v been telling me there'll always be stuff missing without reverb.
could this be true?
Old 10th September 2006
Gear Nut

Hi Dopamine
Have you tried Digi's ReverbOne?
I use it on my Mix system, like other have already said not for effect but to give a feel and placement in the mix. I too normally reach for plates or a room sound (IR Impulse) Other verbs I use are:
Waves IR1
TL Space TDM
Waves RVerb
Sony Reverb
Digi's ReverbOne

George Ware
Old 10th September 2006
Gear Maniac

So do you set up a channel ("fx channel" in cubase) with a reverb, and then let different channels pass through it more or less, depending on how wet/dry you want each channel?

Do you guys never put a reverb on the master buss?

I wonder how Pete Rocks engineer for Soul survivor (1) did this.
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
I think using reverb on hiphop vocals is all about subtlety.

I set it so that I can't really hear it, but when I bypass it, it sounds like something's missing.

If it sounds better in bypass, obviously it's not working for the track (yes, obviously.)
thumbsup

+1
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
again?

i never use any reverb weither vox or whatever.
this has been a creative decision on my side.

lately people'v been telling me there'll always be stuff missing without reverb.
could this be true?
I spent a couple of years where I never put an ounce of verb on any rock mixes I did. A little delay, maybe, but no verb.

I've changed that now, but if it sounds right, go with it.

Listening to your own ears (does that make sense?) is the best way to develop your own sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search