The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
URS plugs for HIPHOP tracks question.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

URS plugs for HIPHOP tracks question.

Most users of the URS plug reviews are rockaffiliated.

Is there anyone who's used m on HIPHOP tracks? I'm wondering if implented in audio with so much emphasis on dynamics of (hard) drums and bass, it still garners the same amount of love.

Thnx.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I use URS plugins for Hip Hop all the time. I really don't think any plugin is made or use for a certain genre of music. URS is great for Hip Hop, Rock, Polka, whatever. It's just eqs and compressors. Download the demos and check them out. You will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

<--------URS Hiphop user. Great on any music.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Aight. thnx.

So...if it's not too much, could u please describe the feel they give on the drums sections in particular?

Do they really make it way bigger and deeper? Cuz i've once thrown a final mix through an stereo SSL compressor and EQ of a friend of mine....and it blew my wig. SUCH an enhancement.

But i've never heard individual audio elements of mine processed through SSL components/plugs.

Do these URS plugs kind of duplicate the feel/sound for real?

Napalm.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

<--------Another URS Hiphop user. And Urs user for Pop, R&B, Reggae and Soulful / Vocal House! I would also use them on Classic if Nigel Kennedy would ring at my door! heh heh heh
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Napalm, they do not sound 100% like an SSL. If you just want the fat SSL smack, perhaps the Duende will be your choice! This firewire unit uses the same algorithms as the C200 SSL concole uses, so it will definately sound as much as SSL as possible! The others will always be farer away from that!

Personally I love the URS stuff on anything and the 1980 compressor (this is the ssl one, I think!!!???) is wonderful on drums! Oh the 1970 is also great on drums. Try them! I would never give them back! At the moment I use the URS EQs and comps on everything! Thinking to add a new flavor in the future, but the URS will stay as the standard tools for everything!
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewj
Napalm, they do not sound 100% like an SSL. If you just want the fat SSL smack, perhaps the Duende will be your choice! This firewire unit uses the same algorithms as the C200 SSL concole uses, so it will definately sound as much as SSL as possible! The others will always be farer away from that!

Personally I love the URS stuff on anything and the 1980 compressor (this is the ssl one, I think!!!???) is wonderful on drums! Oh the 1970 is also great on drums. Try them! I would never give them back! At the moment I use the URS EQs and comps on everything! Thinking to add a new flavor in the future, but the URS will stay as the standard tools for everything!

Thnx for a cool reply homie.

aight...and in my case....should i go for the WAVES SSl.....or the URS? cuz i'm in search of that hard smack in the grill type of sh!t indeed.

Napalm.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

best plugins ive used
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco
best plugins ive used

Even better than the Waves SSL's?

Napalm.
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

me too

i use them on allsorts of stuff
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm
Thnx for a cool reply homie.

aight...and in my case....should i go for the WAVES SSl.....or the URS? cuz i'm in search of that hard smack in the grill type of sh!t indeed.

Napalm.
I was told by a lot of people that the URS Compressor's smack is much more like the original outboard than the Waves SSLs! But I can not guarantee that, because I had no chance to test that! The waves stuff is not working with ableton live, because waves has not fixed problems that caused crashes with live for years!

I know the other waves pluggies from the past and remember that they were always in the middle class when it comes to quality! The only thing that I got a real recommendation for is the Waves BCL Hardware unit!!!

And at all I think the waves stuff is toooooooooooooooooooo expensive for what it has to offer!

Another point that should lead you to the URS stuff is the performance! I think you can open at least two URS SSLs for one Waves SSL! And thats for sure!

Good luck Napalm,

Andrew
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Maniac

if you are looking for smack, then you gotta go for the waves SSL stuff... URS gives me smooth while the SSL gives me the edgy bite... URS and WAVES EQs are the ones I go to... I no longer use the RENEQ at all unless I want an EQ with no color... couple those two with the UAD Pultec and I have all the options I need (for now heh)
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

If I were doing hip hop a lot, I'd have to say the Sony Oxford EQ would be my favorite plugin eq.

It's got phaaaaaaaaaat low end. The one URS EQ I didn't love was the "S" series. It sounded kind of plastic and boxy. Kind of hard in the upper mids and not as flattering as the 'N' series.

Anyone else notice this?

I'd also have to say that the UAD Pultec Pro is a must if you're gonna EQ in the plugin world. The high end is nice for a plugin.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

I mix hip/hop Have a HD3 Acell pro tools system. Use the URS compressors all the time... use the 70's on kick. makes them knock nice n' hard. (careful with the attack) Use the 80's on the LaXa setting or one of the fairchild settings for vocals.... sounds very nice...
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Jimmy Douglas - URS Plug-ins

If it's good enough for Jimmy, it's definitely good for me! :-)

http://www.digidesign.com/digizine/a...ril04/feature/
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Maniac

Aight aight.

Thnx for all the advice peoples. If anybody has any more words to add...feel free.

Napalm.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

URS are very nice, but you can't hit the input to hard or they will distort. If your tracks are recorded super hot you will need to bring the input of the urs plugs down until the red clip light does not come on. Check the 2 new ice cube singles. URS on vocals and drums.
Old 22nd May 2006
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u
URS are very nice, but you can't hit the input to hard or they will distort. If your tracks are recorded super hot you will need to bring the input of the urs plugs down until the red clip light does not come on. Check the 2 new ice cube singles. URS on vocals and drums.

Was the cube done ITB?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

yup. at least the tracks i was involved with. Go icon.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
yup. at least the tracks i was involved with. Go icon.
Storches Drums on "why we thugs" were mixed with urs?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0
Storches Drums on "why we thugs" were mixed with urs?
yes. the s-series mostly.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
awesome, Also great job on that btw
Old 19th April 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
Thanks for sharing the info! what about the vocals? URS also?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search