The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pre/Post Fader Metering.
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear
Pre/Post Fader Metering.

Which one are you guys using?

I have been in Pre Fader my whole time working in Pro Tools because it was helping me know when my plug ins were clipping before leaving the track, but I have been hearing lately about a lot of people metering Post fader.

Can we talk about the Pro/Cons of both?
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear Nut

I've always wondering about this as well...as of now I use pre meter while recording so I can get an idea of how hot the signal is coming in and then when mixing I use post meter so I can gauge my actual levels...correct method? Not sure.
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by osomusicent View Post
I've always wondering about this as well...as of now I use pre meter while recording so I can get an idea of how hot the signal is coming in and then when mixing I use post meter so I can gauge my actual levels...correct method? Not sure.
That would make sense. You should be pre fader for gain staging, but once it's in the computer I would say it's personal preference.
Old 23rd March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
Which one are you guys using?

I have been in Pre Fader my whole time working in Pro Tools because it was helping me know when my plug ins were clipping before leaving the track, but I have been hearing lately about a lot of people metering Post fader.

Can we talk about the Pro/Cons of both?
Pre fader always, for exactly the reasons you mention. You could clip a channel (either on record or with plugins) but metering post fade all might look fine.

Mixing consoles work the same way.

Mix buss will often be post fade on a real console.
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Recording pre fader makes sense to me. Mixing, post fader is where I meter. If set to pre fader, you don't see the affect from plugs and fader movement. Of course, if you keep your master fader at zero and watch those meters, I guess it would be cool too. I just prefer post fader metering. Cubase has an input mixer as well so I can monitor post fader while watching levels going in.
Old 24th March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Pre fader always, for exactly the reasons you mention. You could clip a channel (either on record or with plugins) but metering post fade all might look fine.

Mixing consoles work the same way.

Mix buss will often be post fade on a real console.
Yup.

I'm in prefader 99% of the time. I'll occasionally switch to post if I'm trying to resolve a L/R balance issue or to do some type of calibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-are View Post
If set to pre fader, you don't see the affect from plugs and fader movement.
That's odd. Most DAWs' prefader monitoring shows the effects of the plugin.
Old 24th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Prefader
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

Post fader...y'all wacky? It drives me nuts when I move faders and don't see any results on the meters lol...I use the A/D converters for metering on the way in for the most part, and run Pro Tools (in its default setting I believe) where when a track is record enabled it's pre fader.
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
Post fader...y'all wacky? It drives me nuts when I move faders and don't see any results on the meters lol...I use the A/D converters for metering on the way in for the most part, and run Pro Tools (in its default setting I believe) where when a track is record enabled it's pre fader.
This is why I started this thread, always cool to learn new things and see the way other people are doing it.
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear
Tracking pre-fader. Mixing post-fader.

I don't need the pre-fader meter when mixing. First thing I do when I get a mix is gain-stage everything with the faders at 0 and no inserts, which is going to read the same as pre-fader. But post-fader, I can trouble shoot things. Like if I'm mixing a big ol' stack and it's leaning to the left I might spot the offender easily from the meters without have to solo each part or something. There are other scenarios that come up. But you get the idea. And when I gain-stage, I have plenty of headroom, so I'm not worried about clipping anything.
Old 23rd August 2013
Here for the gear

Does it matter the metering, if i am bussing all of my tracks to a vox bus, drum bus, ect? I'm asking bc when i do this it seems the higher/lower i go on the levels from the original track it affects the plugins and i have to constantly adjust them. Does that make sense or can someone please dm me so i can disuss this issue further bc i'm not sure i'm wording it correctly. I run pro tools.

Thanks again

Stone Wallace
Old 13th September 2019
Here for the gear

For live PA mixing especially if it is a choir you have to use post fader metering. Unless you can pick out every voice in a twenty to thirty member choir, you can not balance the choir without post fader metering. It drives me nuts that these so called semi professional console makers such as Allen and Heath make consoles that are pre fader metering only. These consoles are primarily used for live sound. At around $2,000 to $3,000 you would not buy a console to do recording only. At these price points you would use a DAW to do recording. So any console in this range is primarily used for live sound. Give us post metering or else how are we going to balance a large group of vocalists or instruments for that matter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search