The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Compressors and pres...
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Head

Compressors and pres...

I've been making beats in PT HD with no outboard gear besides some analogue keyboards and digital ones. Right now I own the Waves Diamond Bundle, the Sony Oxford 6-pack, Impact, Revibe, and TLSpace, NI Komplete 2,. I have about $5-7K to spend on uprading my studio.

But, before I get too plug-in happy, I think I should get a good outboard pre/di and compressor first. I don't do much recording of vocals so it is more important to me to outboard gear that will be versatile in my music production. I want a pre and a compressor that sounds good with synths, drums, bass, guitar, vocals, etc. (I like the ViPre alot what do you guys think?) I want a high quality stereo pre that includes a DI if there are any good ones. It would be nice if I could use just the di or the pre, or both. I've been looking at Great River, API, SUMMIT, Aurora Audio, Tab Funk, Empirical Labs, Crane Song. I know there are many great manufacturers out there so turn me on to them if you have some good info. I'm not looking for an ad/da sollution to go along with the pre because I'm happy with my 96 i/o for now.

I love plug-ins and want to buy more bundles: (URS, DUY, Drawmer, Elemental Audio, Eventide, G Force, IK Multimedia, Izotope, Line 6, Massenburg EQ, McDSP, Metric Halo, Nomad Factory, Ohm Force, Princeton Digital, Serato, Prosoniq, Soundtoys, Soundfuel, Spectrasonics, Synaptricity, Wave Arts, Wayout Ware, Wizoo, Trillium Labs all look nice). Does anyone have any good things to say about specific plugs or bundles from companies listed

I'm leaning towards the URS Emerald bundle (for its all around warmth, presense, and versatility), and the Eventide bundle for making some of the 'out-there' effects I'm missing and because I've always loved their outboard ultra-harmonizer.

So what should I do? Split the money I want to spend and go half on plugs and half on outboard gear? Or just get all outboard gear? I appreciate all of the knowledgable people on here...
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Head

Maybe I should rephrase this... I'm new here.. what gear would you reccommend that is versatile for $5K with the above gear mentioned?
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

I would say go for the aurora audio GTQ for the pre and it has a DI and it's 2 channel. And i would recomend a pair of Distressors for your outboard compressors.

As for plugins i would get the Eventide 2 Bundle(It's the ****),Waves SSL TDM(You know Why),Cranesong Pheonix(You'll thank me later). McDSP & URS are nice also.

Half of this stuff you can get here from Tony Belmont much cheaper also

Plus you can demo alomst anything for a while to decide, but im sure you know this already.

And a great help is to take the name of the plugin or gear you would like to know more about and put the name of it in the gearslutz search and select "search in topics" or what ever and then you will find a ton of info on that piece of gear or plugin and alot of time find out great tips on how to use them better.

Just my 2cents
"Zoltan"
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0
I would say go for the aurora audio GTQ for the pre and it has a DI and it's 2 channel. And i would recomend a pair of Distressors for your outboard compressors.

As for plugins i would get the Eventide 2 Bundle(It's the ****),Waves SSL TDM(You know Why),Cranesong Pheonix(You'll thank me later). McDSP & URS are nice also.

Half of this stuff you can get here from Tony Belmont much cheaper also

Plus you can demo alomst anything for a while to decide, but im sure you know this already.

And a great help is to take the name of the plugin or gear you would like to know more about and put the name of it in the gearslutz search and select "search in topics" or what ever and then you will find a ton of info on that piece of gear or plugin and alot of time find out great tips on how to use them better.

Just my 2cents
"Zoltan"
The GTQ seems cool, but what about the flavors (GTQ GTQ2 GTQ2mkIII). What are the differences between these units? I like how its modeled after the 1073, and I trust the advice of the slutz on here, but if this is so good why are there not many links to it on the net? People just don't know about it or what?

Also, in the eventide bundle, how closely is the ultra harmonizer recreated? I have experience with the outboard dsp4000, is it similiar at all? Can you route up to 40 effects in series like you can with the hardware? I know that I could download it and demo it, but I'd rather not waste my time just yet.

Also, what's the deal the the cranesong pheonix?

I've already been leaning towards the distressors myself because they seem to be the most adjustable comps in the price range, and because I've worked with them before and they sound great.

Any other slutty advice guys?
Old 27th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpert
The GTQ seems cool, but what about the flavors (GTQ GTQ2 GTQ2mkIII). What are the differences between these units? I like how its modeled after the 1073, and I trust the advice of the slutz on here, but if this is so good why are there not many links to it on the net? People just don't know about it or what?
The GTQ2mkIII, is the most current version. They lowered the noise floor and added more EQ points, as well as the impedance selector. The reason you don't hear a lot about them is because they are basically handmade units by Geoff Tanner, and aren't mass produced...

If you don't know who Geoff Tanner is, then you might be happy to know he is probably the foremost authority on anything vintage & Neve. His name actually appears on the original schematic of the 1073.... his products carry on that Class A transistor-based tradition..
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpert
I've already been leaning towards the distressors myself because they seem to be the most adjustable comps in the price range, and because I've worked with them before and they sound great.
I would agree and recommend them as a first multi-use compressor.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Anyone got a link for "cranesong pheonix"? I can't find any links on the web

Cheers

Ash
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Guru

as far as preamps go, maybe ckeck out the Neve 1073 DPA or DPD, and the new API A2D. I have the Neve DPD and i love it. Great pre, DI, and A/D converter.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySmith06
Anyone got a link for "cranesong pheonix"? I can't find any links on the web

Cheers

Ash
Does this have the information you are looking for?:

http://www.cranesong.com/prephoenix.html
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks m8

Can't try it here though as it requires an ilok key dfegad

Ash
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

5-7k??hmmmm...this is my suggestion

(1) used stereo aurora gtq 1800 (nice to have a simple outboard eq)
(2) used matched distressors w/ brit mod EL8-X 2300
(2) vintage dbx 160vu 1200
new waves ssl plugs 700
-----------------------------------------
total $7000

if you already have HD then you would be set!!!!. then someday you could upgrade the aurora to a matched pair of neve 1084's or something so you would have a nice stereo outboard eq. (that would run an extra $4k though )

peace,
electric

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search