The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tissue trick on Hyped Mic!
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Tissue trick on Hyped Mic!

I was reading another post about putting some one ply tissue over a MCA microphone to kind of tame the highs and sibilance.

Well in true darkie fashion i had to go one better and put about 8 layers of one ply tissue on the front and back of my Rode NT1A and actually got a song recorded this way.

I can say distinctly that reflections in the room are barely audible with the mic this way and that its definately a much more "midsy" reponse for the vocal. I have way less de-essing to do when I use this technique.

I can say however that this thing is a one trick pony at least with 8 layers of tissue on the mic. It doesnt work for every song, however Im sure that if you try less layers of tissue it will definately change the frequency response of the mic. Ill put up an example of a track we did with the tissue and also a track without it, but its kind of un scientific in that manner, but at least you'll get an idea.

TBLD.mp3 is the track done with 8 layers of tissue paper, btw it was Kleenex.

AT_EXAMPLE.mp3 is done without you'll definately hear the difference, there has been eqing compression on the 2 buss on both tracks etc, however the character of the vocal is obvious from first listen.

Check it out , gimme some feeback, maybe this can diversify your vocal flavors for only a couple bucks!

Peace
Illumination
Attached Files

TBLD_EXAMPLE.mp3 (867.3 KB, 440 views)

AT_EXAMPLE.mp3 (1.52 MB, 371 views)

Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

good tunes !
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thanx

Do think you would try the Tissue trick out? Or are you already doing it?

One thing I did notice is that if you overdo the tissue it kind of gives that radio effect a bit if you mess with the eq too much when you cut some freqs or whatever, moreso than if you did not use the tissue.

Like I said though it doesnt work for every song, but it does have its uses, I would like to add that we did have to crank the gain up on the preamp to improve the sensitivity and fullness of the vocal. We use a Rane MS1B so plenty of gain.

Peace
Illumination
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

Those rodes tend to have that annoying crap highs though... if you got an at4040, you might not have run into that problem. But for what you got, that's a good trick.
Old 20th May 2006
Gear Maniac

what about the pencil trick...
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear
I should've tried this.
Old 10th January 2020
Wow 14 years later!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search