The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
im probably gonna catch heat for this, but thrillfactors post are extremely arrogant
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

im probably gonna catch heat for this, but thrillfactors post are extremely arrogant

Lets all use SSL or Neve boards (im sure we all have that money)

Only analog comps and ONLY OTB mixing for me!

Never use a mixbuss compressor ITB

"OTB, never"

Ren plugins sound muddy and hazy

Everything i write is point form

Analog is the only way

Did i mention i always write point form?

My answer to a question is always one word

That word is: depends

And no I dont care to elaborate

Ask me any question:

My answer is Maybe or

Depends

Music is Vague

So are my answers

Sounds familiar?
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

"Oh i take great pride in knowing anything i say on the forum

I would say in person"

uhhhhhhh buddy, i think most of us do

but we don't really take "pride" in that

its just expected.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatzz
Dude, you're just now finding this out.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

I think it only comes off as arrogance sometimes because of the limitations of communication in text only. He's honest and answering from where he's coming from. Some of his responses are curt, but he usually provides some excellent insight too. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Granted I would like to have access to the gear that he does.
Old 18th May 2006
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebjerome
Granted I would like to have access to the gear that he does.
I'd rather have the skills that Thrill has than the gear he uses.

Keep in mind that h'es been on this board since its inception - he's answered pretty mich all of the questions a dozen or more times.

Sometimes you want to participate in the forum, but you get tired of seeing the same questions over and over.

There are no stupid questions - only stupid people.
Old 18th May 2006
500 series nutjob

i personally value thrillfactors post.
in fact i will read threads he has posted in just because he was their.
Old 18th May 2006
It's a common practice in hiphop to start a pissing contest with whoever is considered the top dog... young bucs do this to try and get the big name to respond and make a name for themselves... lots of careers were built this way.

to contrast.. thrill may be arrogant (makes no diff to me if he is), but he's an informative read.. while you're just arrogant. given a choice i'll take my arrogance with some beef.

Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

LOL,

"thethrillfactor gets away with rudeness. Why?"

Let's go moan zone!

There are some people here who pretend to have authoritative audio opinions and it's veterans like thethrillfactor and Fletcher who set them straight, esp. on tech and historical issues.

They have their gruff sides, but it's because they care about the craft. And one can take it all with a grain of salt... or a whole mine...
Old 18th May 2006
no ssl yet
I Think Thrill is extremely OPINIONATED LOL but only partially arrogant/cocky (he is in NY).

And I think he will agree with this.

The funny part is you guys who call him a veteran without ever having heard a mix or even seen his rack.

Of course if you know what you are talking about, you can read his posts and tell that HE knows what he's talking about.

BUT I dont think that's the case for everyone here.

(Again though this is the internet and evey thing should be taken with a grain of salt and tested on your OWN EARS as I'm sure Thrill would agree. He obviously does what works FOR HIM and you (the guy that started the thread) Should do the same Do what works for you.)
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

no ssl, I meant forum vet; I have no idea about his body of work. If he shows us his "rack" I'll be the first in line...heh

Like you said, it's what he says that earns him respect from newer people like myself.

Hope that clears that up.

PS: I actually consider you a forum vet too... You don't talk about stuff you don't understand.
Old 18th May 2006

Arrogant?

Well, silly me, I always enjoyed Thrillfactors posts 'cause they seemed so open, honest and downright friendly to me. Not kidding. Guess I musta skipped the arrogant ones.

And as to his technical knowledge, anytime he's discussing a piece of gear that I know well, I recognize the comments of someone who has also spent considerable time with that item. In other words, he knows the gear.

I kinda see Thrill as the "Dear Abbey" of Gearslutz.
Old 18th May 2006
Stop catching feelings online, thats not the business. Say it to dude on a pm

this belongs in Moan Zone.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

He has strong opinions of what he likes and what he doesn't like. So do a lot of people here.

If I don't like it, I can tune it out. Why does what someone else think bother me? If someone thinks Neve 1073's are crap, what do I care?

Live and let live, be at peace with your own life and do your own thing and let others do theirs.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate Muzik
Amen.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate Muzik
Stop catching feelings online, thats not the business. Say it to dude on a pm

Amen to that also.....and while you're at it (PM'ing him) ask him to tell you his discography before you make judgemental statements like that (Mr. beatzz) tutt
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Uhm beatzz you said you're prepared for heat so be it .
it's all about state of mind.Your decisions and taste are defined by your surrounding ,expirience ,age ,culture,genetics etc .For start we can set following scene :
Emagine you're working with behringer and mackie stuff only and you're 18 years old .You like mackie better for some reason after a while and you cant exactly say why but you do .Then after a while someone brings smth better like portico or whutever and you're shocked how much better it sounds then your mackie (i'm not "dissing" your setup this is fiction about some john doe somewhere - will explain - patience please ).More you work you buy/sell stuff and you start wishing that portico you once heard - after a while you buy it - you're shocked again and countereffect is that you start hating your behringer compared to portico expirience ....yadda,yadda fast forward
20 years later you've been working on every piece of crap man made for mangling audio - it's what you do - during that time you bought /sold ****loads of expensive gear and made YOUR setup - you choose the best ,you got really fine monitors/room where quality of gear is highly exposed when you're doing your work .After some time you realise there's no more effects to buy - you bought them all
How the hell now do you decide which one to use for next mix-to-be-done-yesterday-or-they'll-hang-me-in-central-park ?
By your taste and instinct and knowing which chain does best thing for your mixes
Behringer and mackie are long gone and replaced with best chain for doin fast and juicy work .
Anyway your perspective towards audio changes and evolves (towards the better i hope ) over time .Once you expirience driving jaguar after hyndai your perspective about cars changes - and you cant tolerate someone saying hyndai is as good as jaguar cause you know it's NOT - you were driving both .
Hehe to be continued by someone else i hope ,i'm tired - enjoy
Old 18th May 2006
no ssl yet
My test of people is always to say could I hang out and have a beer with " whomever"

I'd gladly have a beer with Thrill
Old 18th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatzz
Lets all use SSL or Neve boards (im sure we all have that money)

Only analog comps and ONLY OTB mixing for me!

Never use a mixbuss compressor ITB

"OTB, never"

Ren plugins sound muddy and hazy

Everything i write is point form

Analog is the only way

Did i mention i always write point form?

My answer to a question is always one word

That word is: depends

And no I dont care to elaborate

Ask me any question:

My answer is Maybe or

Depends

Music is Vague

So are my answers

Sounds familiar?

All true...

You've got me down to a T.

Except...

this quote "Ren plugins sound muddy and hazy".

I don't feel that way about the Ren plugs anymore...

I feel they are down right awful.

I am a analog diehard this is true and i use very little plug ins. Its just my personal preference and nothing personal is meant by it. And i type in double space because its easier to read. Also i despise reading threads that are full of long paragraphs and don't really say anything.

If you need me to clarify a statement or post further just ask or PM me... ok?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hey Thrill,

Does that mean that you answer PMs?
Once I send you one with an easy technical question and didn´t receive reply, eventhough seemed like you had time to post.
Felt arrogant indeed.

Ruphus
Old 18th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus
Hey Thrill,

Does that mean that you answer PMs?
Once I send you one with an easy technical question and didn´t receive reply, eventhough seemed like you had time to post.
Felt arrogant indeed.

Ruphus

Ruphus,

Yes i try to answer them.

Sometimes it tough because i get a lot and i want to answer them as best as i can.

Some questions i just can't answer(based on a subjective opinion) and some i just won't because its something i just see as lazy engineering( you posted you like X and i just bought it. Ok what are your favorite settings? how do you use it ? With what combinations etc?).

I just don't personally believe in "internet arm chair engineering" and i won't encourage it either. Its just not the way i was brought up in the studio. I come from an era in the studio where you had to prove yourself.

And sometimes i read a PM in passing(on my way out from the studio) and i simply just forget or don't have time in the moment to answer.

My apologies if i didn't respond.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Thrill has been incredibly helpful in response to my postings and has given me some excellent information. I really owe a lot to him! I also enjoy his writing style.
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

this thread is ****ing ********.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic
this thread is ****ing ********.
Yeah, let's nip it in the bud.

Ooops!
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
Ruphus,

My apologies if i didn't respond.
Apologies accepted.

Yet, for the record: I don´t think to have asked in the Please-do-it-all-for-me manner.

Quote:
I would be greatful to receive some advice before it comes in. For instance the seller says the unit would deliver on both of its outs per channel. He says many wouldn´t know that, but it would be sounding much better using both outs and mix, as them being components ( of the two DSPs?)

Are you recording 4 tracks for stereo / 2 tracks for a mono, or how do you do use it in your rig?

My other question concerns the path, whether you have tried the digital one too. I expect that going the analog way and feeding the R880 through good convertors ( Lavry blue here ) to be best, since the convertors in the Roland ought to be old stuff and probably also working on either 44.1 or 48k / 16 bit while my source material will be 96k tracks. ... But who knows if there might be a certain reason to use the Rolands onboards (?)

Thanks for any tip you can give me on it!
I have received lots of requests on behalf of this device and other things and have done my best to answer them all as good as I could, because as long as it isn´t really totally lazy ( which none of them appeared to be like that to me ) I don´t think it would hurt anything to answer at least.

Just saying.

Ruphus
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search