The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alesis monitor ONE actives the next step up?
Old 17th May 2006
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
jazztone's Avatar
 

Alesis M1 actives MKII what's the next step up?

What's up. i have been using these Alesis monitors for about a year and half.Before I used Event PS6's My mixxes got more balanced and flat. The balance was and is a good thing but the flatness is bordering on boring. Also, I noticed with my last mix project coming back from mastering that the bottom (kick , sub and electric bass) was balanced but not enough. So the next time I had to mix I purposely put on too much bass for the mixx in my room. In the car the sound was closer to what I would want in a final mix. I feel that perhaps a monitor with more lower mid and bass detail would help me to get everything just right Also the room could need more treatment. The cone movement of the woofer is showing too much 80 hz and I know I've put too much 80 hz. Then in the car it sounds like it's supposed too. Any help please.
Old 17th May 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 
cynic one's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztone
What's up. i have been using these Alesis monitors for about a year and half.Before I used Event PS6's My mixxes got more balanced and flat. The balance was and is a good thing but the flatness is bordering on boring. Also, I noticed with my last mix project coming back from mastering that the bottom (kick , sub and electric bass) was balanced but not enough. So the next time I had to mix I purposely put on too much bass for the mixx in my room. In the car the sound was closer to what I would want in a final mix. I feel that perhaps a monitor with more lower mid and bass detail would help me to get everything just right Also the room could need more treatment. The cone movement of the woofer is showing too much 80 hz and I know I've put too much 80 hz. Then in the car it sounds like it's supposed too. Any help please.

i have the m1 actives mk2, and i like em - but really didn't end up liking them for mixing until i picked up the sub. i got the matching s1 active subwoofer and my mixes have been better since.

try investing in something like that first...just my opinion.
Old 17th May 2006
  #3
Lives for gear
 

i got a pair and i like em

cynic which model sub do you have?
Old 17th May 2006
  #4
Gear Maniac
 
jazztone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic
i have the m1 actives mk2, and i like em - but really didn't end up liking them for mixing until i picked up the sub. i got the matching s1 active subwoofer and my mixes have been better since.

try investing in something like that first...just my opinion.


I Forgot to mention I Use A 10" Audiophile Quality subwoofer. It has custom hi quality active variable crossover and has been well tuned to the room(or so i think).
When I playback good commercial recordings. They sound fantasic. However as I start too listen more critically I realize yes the kick and bass is done just right but the details are smeared. I can't make out the kicks origin in the mix space or tell you what the texture of the bass sound is. Those types of things are not really translating
despite the music sounding very good and full. That's why I thought resolution. I figure if you want to have full control over how sounds blend and stand out at the same time, you probably need to be able to hear the edge of the sound.
Old 17th May 2006
  #5
Lives for gear
 
cynic one's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0
i got a pair and i like em

cynic which model sub do you have?
alesis s1 active...

and on the other response, i'm not sure how "detailed" the mk2's are compared to your current ones - as these and some computer speakers are all i've ever mixed on.

maybe try to get disco's opinion on it as i know he has a pair as well. i'm sure he's used tons of other monitors...
Old 18th May 2006
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
jazztone's Avatar
 

Yeah we are using the same monitors. just different subwoofers. In your case the one made for them by Alesis. I really don't mix with the sub on. I use it to check. sometimes even listening with the nearfields off, to hear the shape of the bottom. I never have liked alesis tweeters all the way back to the first ones. I think the M1's fairly true but I think lacking in detail for vocal ranges and low/mid bass. I think it might even be partially the crossover point which is lower than some of favorite monitors from my "A" room days. I just would like to know if anybody upgraded from these monitors for mixing reasons and what they found better at the next step up price wise. I"m looking for better that event PS6 or Alesis M1.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump