The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
dilla's late 90's "neosoul" bass
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

dilla's late 90's "neosoul" bass

do you guys know what J Dilla's recipe was for getting those round subby basslines during his production with Tribe/Slum Village/D'Angelo during 90's? or is this one of those locked secrets? not sure Dilla's sound is just a sine wave generated sound(from a synth or something) that is heavily processed with eq/compression in the mix stage or if he just used some sample kit over and over or maybe something completely different. was listening to Fantastic Vol. 1 tonight and was thinking about it. those beats bring back memories of a different era, no doubt.

peace,
electric
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

If you use a Moog or another synth bassline and run it through a lowpass-filter/EQ. That's how i get those basses.

There might be other tricks thouh, so more tips would be nice
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I think in many cases he used bass samples.Basically sampling the bass sounds and of course processing them to the way he wanted it to sound.Sometimes it just needs a little cleaning up.Then perhaps splitting the bass sound and playing the notes either via a keyboard or assigning them to the mpc pads like Hi-Tek does and play them according to taste and feel.

Also, the tip about the moog is a good one.That plug has some nice basses.Also, u can take a look at Hypersonic.It has some nice basses, if u dont have Trilogy already.Perhaps look at Emu's sounds that I heard from their Proteus.Nice subs in there as well.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

I can mimic those sounds really good with my Novation Bassstation.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

the stuff on D's album was live
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by con?one
the stuff on D's album was live
Yupp, mostly played by Pin Palladino!
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Relax... can you share or rather what is the trick to achieving that sound with the Novation... I have a Super Basstation, and for some reason I missing something...
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

If you go to my page on MySpace and listen to Tha ****, I've used the Moog-sample and EQ'd it like i discribed earlier.

But on the Help Me Out-track i used a bassline that were played in the song i sampled. And it's sort of the same style of sound.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface_finsta
Relax... can you share or rather what is the trick to achieving that sound with the Novation... I have a Super Basstation, and for some reason I missing something...
I just turn knobs, I really don't have any good idea what Im doing as far as sound design, but try a real fast attack and decay and play with the filter and I use and plenty of drastic eq on my mixer.
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Maniac

hey chekmate music, maybe is was a TOOB

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search