The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Every Trend in Hip Hop Production is determined by the.......
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

Snare drum sound.

Just wanted to let everyone know it's going back to the old school, I'm sure of it. RY-7's and RY-20's and Rolands.

Right now it's the clappy snares, in 6 months it's going to be the old snare sound.

Feel free to dissagree, today's date is may 16, 2006, I'm watching MTV with the clip-clip-claps everywhere!

BaseJase
Illynoise
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

right now its a "snap" snare.
Old 16th May 2006
pan
Lives for gear

...just make it clap - tschatschak-tschatschak

They are already dated...
Those clippyclappy long frrratsch snares are sooo '05 lol

It's funny, how the "classics" (roland) keep coming back ... though they actually never disappeared. Talk about Oldschool...

If a beat I get to mix lacks something in the snare-departement, an added 808 or DMX layer usually gets me back in business...

Bring back those defined rimmy timbo snares, or what's the vogue tomorrow?

n
Old 16th May 2006
Here for the gear

that's correct
Old 16th May 2006
Here for the gear

yeah you prolly right about that old school feel.........i might just pull out the old clap trap...lol
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

2003 - making the track
2004 - finishing and shipping the track
2005 - recording the song
2006 - charts entry

think 2-3 years ahead bro, or you are trying the impossible.......following a trend that is 2-3 years old.

welcome to the club of the sound prophets
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm thinking of those snares from 80's, combined with the ones from the r-5/8 rimshots snares, you know. I used to have an RX7, I loved that machine. Now that's MC Hammer right there.

The 808 and the DMX are definate cheese and beef. I'm hearing more of like what was in the planet phatt type of cheese or the Hr16/Sr16. Maybe drum machines will come back?

BaseJase
Illynoise
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I think it's hard to perdict because there are so many signature producers and its them, along with up and comming producers that will decide the next set of sounds. Plus there is never just one "sound", as there are so many producers and sub generes and atrists.

I personially forsee alot more hybridizing of already existing generes then anying else. As more new producers try to get into the game, along thier travels i would assume a large percentage were studying and learning from what was already here, Learning a few elements from one style or sub genere and then , studying and learning a few things from others. Then maybe even subconsciously starting to blend/mix thies elements together and in the process creating sub genere hybrids all thier own. Or for some consicously doing it
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Even if claps and snaps are going out, I still like them.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Claps and snaps have always been in , like hard snrs , stick snrs,tight snrs, round snrs, boinky snrs , they will always be part of RnB/Hip Hop and pop in general , it just so happens a few hits in the recent past have had claps , possibly a result of Ushers 'Yeah' , i do not think you will not have a hit if you do not use a clap/snap , it's all about the track and how it makes people feel , if that means you use an 808 snr so be it heh
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

not all snares are created equal. 808 snares have never done it for me.

Anyone got an RY20? That machine had some of the hardest snares ever, I sampled all of them about 10 years ago. I still could use them.

All I'm saying is that I think the snare sound is the most defining factor that I've seen as far as these little fads go.

The kick drum has been pretty much the same 2-5 types of sounds for ever it seems. 809's, boomy, tight, and grimy. The snare sound has so many different flavors, right?

BaseJase
illynoise
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

hehe RY machines ...i had RY30 and couldn't find addon cards for it ,and there were some pretty interesting names on these cards , i'd like to hear these samples today - factory samples were so-so
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise
not all snares are created equal. 808 snares have never done it for me.

Anyone got an RY20? That machine had some of the hardest snares ever, I sampled all of them about 10 years ago. I still could use them.

All I'm saying is that I think the snare sound is the most defining factor that I've seen as far as these little fads go.

The kick drum has been pretty much the same 2-5 types of sounds for ever it seems. 809's, boomy, tight, and grimy. The snare sound has so many different flavors, right?

BaseJase
illynoise
I do not agree with the kik drum thing , in the late 80's early 90's kiks were dominated by 909 kiks and Lin Drum kiks and snrs , also a lot of R8 sounds as well , after this period we start getting into the more loose kik drum with lo subs but not much attack(3k), then we started hearing flabby kicks with some verb on them , then some live kicks and now we have a lot of Lo Fi Sounds ! Imo RnB/HipHop is based on it's use of all elements involving the kit, this includes the shimmy stuff in the backround hats,shkers,triangles etc, a lot of RnB is open to world music sounds as well ! Then we also have the way we quantize a groove or don't quantize it to create push/pull ! heh
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

damn good thread ILLY!
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise
Snare drum sound.

Just wanted to let everyone know it's going back to the old school, I'm sure of it. RY-7's and RY-20's and Rolands.

Right now it's the clappy snares, in 6 months it's going to be the old snare sound.

Feel free to dissagree, today's date is may 16, 2006, I'm watching MTV with the clip-clip-claps everywhere!

BaseJase
Illynoise
I'm starting to favor those old school snares myself. I just eq'em! Claps are on every track now a days! Finger snaps are the new thing now, but lil jon's trying to jump on that.. So you know he's going to play that out, like he did with the claps..

Yeaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear
im combining both..dusty old drums on top of an 808 kit.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Addict

I disagree that the trend in Rap music is defined by Snares... I assume we've all been producing or into this at least since the early 90's... we all know the importance of drums sounds... but to sum up Hip Hop by the choice of snares is ****in Bull****... so for anyone to assume that the past 30 years of this genre is solely influence by this one sound... is crazy... if you wanna debate this with me... be prepared to take your arguement all the way back to the days of Super Rappin... we dont even have to go that far back... sum up Dr. Dre's career with his choice and use of a Snare sound...
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

The clap. snare or snap is their to fit the mood, feel and style of the track, not the trend
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface_finsta
I disagree that the trend in Rap music is defined by Snares... I assume we've all been producing or into this at least since the early 90's... we all know the importance of drums sounds... but to sum up Hip Hop by the choice of snares is ****in Bull****... so for anyone to assume that the past 30 years of this genre is solely influence by this one sound... is crazy... if you wanna debate this with me... be prepared to take your arguement all the way back to the days of Super Rappin... we dont even have to go that far back... sum up Dr. Dre's career with his choice and use of a Snare sound...
Everyone has their opinion, it's cool, I'm just making an observation and it's not law. I think that when you hear a Dre record on the radio, it can definately be defined as HIS sound. And Dre set's trends when it comes to snares. I think that personally he was influenced by Teddy Riley as an R$B producer the late 80's early 90's. (Listen to the first BlackStreet album) Too many producers to name here, but Prince Paul would come to mind.....Diamond D, even Kurtis Blow before that. The roots most definately set snare drum trends.

Remember I'm only talking about the sound, not samples, or production techniques which have also been groundbreaking as well. The sound of the snare drum has evolved more IMO than other things in hip hop, but then again it's coming back to the same.

BaseJase
Illynoise
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

crunchy juicy layered claps that don't sound like the one in ne-yo - so sick are always nice!
Old 19th May 2006
Gear Addict

I disagree (not to be a prick)... when I think Dre I rarely ever think snare... on top of that I rarely hear anything that Dre actually made on the Radio to begin with... But then again I'm not in LA or those other places (I'm happy with the occassional Deep Cover that gets blended into Shook Ones)... as far as Teddy.... Dre didn't have anything to do with the New Jack Swing Era... and that Blackstreet song is a loop... with out Teddys influence I can't imagine which way music would've gone... whether it's his influence on Puffy... Neptunes... Heavy D/CL/Pete Rock.... or R. Kelly... which brings us back around to the Big Chips Clap/Tom/Snr thing... people are tired of the joint... but pitch/tune it and tuck it in a layer... and ****s the move.... BTW, we might as well not talk snares if we're not talking samples... I'm a huge Primo fan...

As for the biggest influences on the way Rap music sounds... to me has been Money, Technology, Chicks, Poverty, Drugs, a Will and a Way...

If were talking Snares... maybe we should leave Claps and Snaps outta it... I'm just the cat that if you leave any one shot open... I snatchin it... and makin it mine...
Old 19th May 2006
Here for the gear

I always think about how hot Dre's snares are when I hear his tracks....thats how I know its a Dre track cuz the drums are bangin
Old 19th May 2006
Here for the gear

I agree. The first things that define a song for me is the snare and hi-hats. Nothing better than nice crisp hats.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

I haven't used hihats in eons
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe Dr. Dre's influence on the music, when talking his snare drum sound, is that it's usually loud. Teddy was one of the first to make the snare drum LOUD.
One thing that I've noticed about his (dre's) snares is that they are stereo and very layered.

Many of the older recordings, like Whodini's "Friends" and "I'm a Ho", even "Planet Rock" 808 claps and snares are bangin loud. The kick drum wasn't always that way. Kick drums like 808's weren't cut loud until T La Rock "It's Yours" and RUN Dmc's King of Rock album.

I guess my favorite records are the ones where the snare or clap or stick is really snapping, and you used to be able to dance to rap music. :-)

BaseJase
Illynoise
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear
Honestly I believe that "Every Trend in Hip Hop Production is determined by the...."

F*CKIN' GEAR USED!!!

78'-82': Live band/disco breaks

82'-'87: drum machine/synth combo (808,909,dmx,linndrum)

87'-97': sampling drum machine/workstation (sp1200, MPC, ASR, etc.)

97'-01': workstation freakin' presets (triton, triton, and mo' trition)

01'-04': the return of the sampling drum machine (sped up soul and rock samples) and the "drum machine/synth combo" (various down south flavors) but really they both never really left.

04'-present: the virtual era a.k.a. anything goes...or as questlove put it "the age of irony"

Also understand that some producers are just beyond trends. Dre has been making hits since 87' (not including that World Class Wrecking Crew stuff) and still uses the same basic formula...sampling drum machine/synth/live bass with the occasional synth bass. Primo, Pete Rock, Timbaland pretty much stay using the same tools they always have. The only thing that changes is they make more beats.
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear
P.S. - Remember we're talking hiphop not R&B. Understand that really until Bad Boy and Timbaland there was a real difference between the sound of your average hiphop record and your average R&B record. I remember that most cats thought Teddy Riley produced rap songs sounded just like that...someone rapping over a soft R&B track.

I personally think that's the reason LL won the battle with Kool Moe Dee. Although Moe Dee had superior lyrics the clean sounding tracks Teddy did we're strictly for grown folk dressed up in the club, while LL had the swagger, gritty samples, 808 boom, and fresh cuts. He just sounded harder and more current at the time.

Most young cats don't understand that until the chronic and the first biggie record you really didn't hear hiphop during daytime radio nationwide. Once that happened the target demographic started to shift toward women. More singers started showing up on the hooks of rap songs and R&B drums started to hit harder to point we're at now where there's little difference in the average hiphop track and the average R&B track.
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise View Post
Snare drum sound.

BaseJase
Illynoise
what happened? :D
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi

I thought this determined EVERYTHING!

Old 1st October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolout View Post
Honestly I believe that "Every Trend in Hip Hop Production is determined by the...."

F*CKIN' GEAR USED!!!

78'-82': Live band/disco breaks

82'-'87: drum machine/synth combo (808,909,dmx,linndrum)

87'-97': sampling drum machine/workstation (sp1200, MPC, ASR, etc.)

97'-01': workstation freakin' presets (triton, triton, and mo' trition)

01'-04': the return of the sampling drum machine (sped up soul and rock samples) and the "drum machine/synth combo" (various down south flavors) but really they both never really left.

04'-present: the virtual era a.k.a. anything goes...or as questlove put it "the age of irony"

Also understand that some producers are just beyond trends. Dre has been making hits since 87' (not including that World Class Wrecking Crew stuff) and still uses the same basic formula...sampling drum machine/synth/live bass with the occasional synth bass. Primo, Pete Rock, Timbaland pretty much stay using the same tools they always have. The only thing that changes is they make more beats.
Yes, this.
Breaks and sampling all the way for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search