The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Every Trend in Hip Hop Production is determined by the.......
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolout View Post
P.S. - Remember we're talking hiphop not R&B. Understand that really until Bad Boy and Timbaland there was a real difference between the sound of your average hiphop record and your average R&B record. I remember that most cats thought Teddy Riley produced rap songs sounded just like that...someone rapping over a soft R&B track.

I personally think that's the reason LL won the battle with Kool Moe Dee. Although Moe Dee had superior lyrics the clean sounding tracks Teddy did we're strictly for grown folk dressed up in the club, while LL had the swagger, gritty samples, 808 boom, and fresh cuts. He just sounded harder and more current at the time.

Most young cats don't understand that until the chronic and the first biggie record you really didn't hear hiphop during daytime radio nationwide. Once that happened the target demographic started to shift toward women. More singers started showing up on the hooks of rap songs and R&B drums started to hit harder to point we're at now where there's little difference in the average hiphop track and the average R&B track.

LL Won because he wrote better songs. Making records is ultimately about the song/production/presentation/vibe.

But, it's definitely about the SONG. Jay has plenty of examples of good ones.
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Take a squirrel, bite his tail, record the sound with a stereo pair of mics, pass it in a distressor, then an LA2A, layer it with a rimshot, I tell you, this will be hot in a few month... word....

Jokes aside, the snare does set a trend. The way you sequence it too. I was really impressed with the beat in PDiddy's Last Night song... Awesome song btw.
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Literally pushing the envelope

See I don't really give a flying akido kick what's in or not. I would listen to 5 or so comtemporary joints out at the time, and run with a new style.

Some cats be like "Yo Izz, your sh_t be sounding like Brian McKnight meets Kid Capri or Stevie wonder meets Primo".

A long as cats are telling me that, I'll never get into the industry. Alas, I can go to sleep at night with that because I know a lot of my music is what's up.

Yellow backs sited without the flourescent lights.

One,

izzy.
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Irizarry View Post
Some cats be like "Yo Izz, your sh_t be sounding like Brian McKnight meets Kid Capri or Stevie wonder meets Primo".

A long as cats are telling me that, I'll never get into the industry.
izzy.
why's that??
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacchino View Post
I was really impressed with the beat in PDiddy's Last Night song... Awesome song btw.
Am digging Keyshia, but this one and West's "strongo-bongo" - sounds a little too euro 2my taste.
May be cuz $ goes down.(am serious).
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Reeves View Post
what happened? :D
I dunno you tell me, was I wrong?
Old 1st October 2007

Quote:
Most young cats don't understand that until the chronic and the first biggie record you really didn't hear hiphop during daytime radio nationwide. Once that happened the target demographic started to shift toward women. More singers started showing up on the hooks of rap songs and R&B drums started to hit harder to point we're at now where there's little difference in the average hiphop track and the average R&B track.
Off the top of my head....MC Hammer, Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock, Salt n Pepa, Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, Kid n Play, Biz Markie, MC Lyte, Run DMC, Fat Boys, LL Cool J, Beastie Boys, and so many others were tearing up the radio at least 5 years before the Chronic. You couldn't go 5 minutes without hearing a song from one of the above in the late 80's where I'm from.. granted this wasn't the Hip Hop radio station era of the late 90's... you could still hear Stevie B, and the freestyle/dance stuff on these same stations, along with R&B, etc. But, hip hop was in regular rotation.
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Maniac

I thought this was a joke to begin with?
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Off the top of my head....MC Hammer, Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock, Salt n Pepa, Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, Kid n Play, Biz Markie, MC Lyte, Run DMC, Fat Boys, LL Cool J, Beastie Boys, and so many others were tearing up the radio at least 5 years before the Chronic. You couldn't go 5 minutes without hearing a song from one of the above in the late 80's where I'm from.. granted this wasn't the Hip Hop radio station era of the late 90's... you could still hear Stevie B, and the freestyle/dance stuff on these same stations, along with R&B, etc. But, hip hop was in regular rotation.
I'll co-sign that. Herbie Luv-Bug was like the Jermaine Dupree of the 80's when it came to gettin' his artists on the radio. He was a genius for radio friendly hits. He cleverly tapped into the Go-Go sub-culture here in Washington, D.C and cranked out a few classics. Props.
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Every Trend in Hip Hop Production is determined by the.......

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi

I thought this determined EVERYTHING!

The magic eightball says ask again later...
Old 1st October 2007
Quote:
Honestly I believe that "Every Trend in Hip Hop Production is determined by the...."

F*CKIN' GEAR USED!!!

78'-82': Live band/disco breaks

82'-'87: drum machine/synth combo (808,909,dmx,linndrum)

87'-97': sampling drum machine/workstation (sp1200, MPC, ASR, etc.)

97'-01': workstation freakin' presets (triton, triton, and mo' trition)

01'-04': the return of the sampling drum machine (sped up soul and rock samples) and the "drum machine/synth combo" (various down south flavors) but really they both never really left.

04'-present: the virtual era a.k.a. anything goes...or as questlove put it "the age of irony"

Also understand that some producers are just beyond trends. Dre has been making hits since 87' (not including that World Class Wrecking Crew stuff) and still uses the same basic formula...sampling drum machine/synth/live bass with the occasional synth bass. Primo, Pete Rock, Timbaland pretty much stay using the same tools they always have. The only thing that changes is they make more beats.
Agreed thumbsup
Old 1st October 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
P.S. - Remember we're talking hiphop not R&B. Understand that really until Bad Boy and Timbaland there was a real difference between the sound of your average hiphop record and your average R&B record. I remember that most cats thought Teddy Riley produced rap songs sounded just like that...someone rapping over a soft R&B track.

I personally think that's the reason LL won the battle with Kool Moe Dee. Although Moe Dee had superior lyrics the clean sounding tracks Teddy did we're strictly for grown folk dressed up in the club, while LL had the swagger, gritty samples, 808 boom, and fresh cuts. He just sounded harder and more current at the time.
First of all, Peace to you guys!!!
I lways say this about LL vs. Moe Dee. Moe Dee was the more superior Lyricist. Jack the ripper was so damn hard though!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search