The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
wiring help
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Nut

wiring help

recently we had to move our setup,

i am so bad with wiring.

so i ask my fellow gearslutz to help me here.

i have a gtq, 2 distressors 002 as my front end,

for my routing should i hard wire the mic to the gtq? then directly hard wire

the distressor to the pre?

or should i route everything to a patch bay? i rarely come out of protools to use

a compressor on theo outside as we dont have great converters yet.

we have everything routed to a board. (alesis studio 32)

im just trying hear what ways of working and set up you guys have,

do you mix after tracks and recording completely In the box? or do you out put your

trackes to an analog board and mixx old skool style 1 track at a time? i mean at this point

the board sums really.

i am getting this awful feedback loop as i am trying to wire an avalon 747 across the stereo buss. I come out of the insert points with 2 insert cables , hard wire the ins and the outs of the avalon to a stereo patch bay, and patch thru the front, but i dont get a sweet sound i get a horror movie. helpp...

Chris
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

at this point, i mix in the box... unless it's the rare occasion where i still need to use 2"... but f that.
personally, if i were you, i'd bypass the studio32 and mix itb.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by con?one
at this point, i mix in the box... unless it's the rare occasion where i still need to use 2"... but f that.
personally, if i were you, i'd bypass the studio32 and mix itb.

i dont use the mixer for anything but basically to get everything i have in my studio in to the 002, i have been mixing in the box, however i do know some people that swear by mixingh by hand thru a board produces a better sound.
I somewhat agree but since i dont have super good conversion i try not to make too many passes in and out.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttt
i dont use the mixer for anything but basically to get everything i have in my studio in to the 002, i have been mixing in the box, however i do know some people that swear by mixingh by hand thru a board produces a better sound.
I somewhat agree but since i dont have super good conversion i try not to make too many passes in and out.
um... maybe in some cases, not in the case of your board... keep it in there, there's no reason to come back out... IMO
Old 14th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttt
i have a gtq, 2 distressors 002 as my front end,

for my routing should i hard wire the mic to the gtq? then directly hard wire

the distressor to the pre?
That's how I would do it...
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
That's how I would do it...
right thats how i have it now, then returning to a channell on the board so i can monitor and route to the 002.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search