The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEVE VS SSL? Which one you engineers like more? Consoles
Old 14th May 2006
NEVE VS SSL? Which one you engineers like more?

No special reason i am askin this but i am just curious to hear which one you engineers like more and why? The major studios usually have one of the 2. If i am not mistaking, SSL is more hi-end and expensive?

Is there a significant sound difference between the 2? or they pretty much has the same feel. Does a board change the sound/feel of the mix or does it mostly depend on your outboard gear?

Also, how do you engineers feel about mixing songs digitally in protools VS havin all these expensive boards. Lets hear it from GearSlut PROS!!
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I work on an SSL and have used and still use from time to time a Neve. I havent ever used the high end Neves though (I use 8108 and 8128).... The SSL has the mix bus compressor which does a lot of good on your overall mix. The SSL also has great routing and dynamics on every channel. The eq's just have that "thing" to them that makes almost anything sound good!!!! But for tracking and bands I go to the Neve. That is just warm and nice and really musical eq's and good pres! Compared to ITB mixing, this is tough! I believe that if you know the board in great detail and what it is doing to the signal you can come close on an ITB mix. The big deal to me is the nice converters, great outboard gear, and access to whatever is needed in a top studio!
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Neve VS SSL

hey musik,
gotta say you are alittle mistaken by saying SSL is more highend than Neve. I get to use both boards very frequently and most engineers will use the Neve to track the record and then take those files or tape to the SSL room to mix.

The Neve pre's/EQ's are unbeatable as far as I'm concerned for recording.

On the mix side of things definitly SSL cause of the routing capabilities and automation.

the summing section between the two I would go with the Neve way more powerful from what I can tell.....the SSL has this quad compress that gives it its definitive sound too..so its just preference....

Now as far as SSL for tracking yea great sounding pre but there is something about transformers (NEVE) that just sounds pure (especially going to 2" tape).

Hope this helps,
stay close,
Poly

PS by the way thanx for the myspace add...
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Addict

If I'm in an SSL room I usually end up mixing stems in an SSL room and do the final leveling and 2 bus compression in my NY studio. If I'm in a Neve room that's the mix i usually use as a final mix.
Old 14th May 2006
Different horses for different courses.

And they couldn't sound more different from each other.

They each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Also certain styles of music lend themselves better towards each.

Preferences:

For tracking...classic Neve.

For mixing...always SSL unless the live tracks are incredibly lifeless and running it through the Neve will give it a vibe.

Bottomn line: These days you couldn't get me to mix in the computer if you put a gun to my head.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor

Bottomn line: These days you couldn't get me to mix in the computer if you put a gun to my head.

LMAO....its so true....
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear
Track into a classic Neve, mix on an SSL.

I doubt many engineers would have a problem with that.
Old 14th May 2006

Quote:
Preferences:

For tracking...classic Neve.

For mixing...always SSL unless the live tracks are incredibly lifeless and running it through the Neve will give it a vibe.

I love it!heh
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate Muzik
The major studios usually have one of the 2. If i am not mistaking, SSL is more hi-end and expensive?
This is why we have one of each. Out studio X has a NEVE VSP Legend, and our Studio Y has a SSL XL9000K!
www.studioatthepalms.com
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

it is what it is but the majority of rap and r&b records r being mixed itb nowadays. phil tan to duro to many others. bob power mixed common's be itb. used to block sony for the big engineer and he'd still mix itb and just monitor thru the ssl.

back to topic. mixed on neve in chung king and have mixed ssl at sony, quad, and defunct hit factory. neve sounds "rounder & smoother" sort of like older mobb deep or tribe stuff. But the punch and "in ya face" sound always came from the ssl.

to me itb mixes like dipset albums sound more hip hop. listen to the new mobb deep album. way to bright and no where near their usual feel in the mixes.
Old 14th May 2006

The sound of hip hop, as far as mixing goes for the last 10-15 years, is SSL 4000! The 9000 has been used as well, but all the Jay-Z, Rocafella, etc was SSL 4000... The only exception to this is Timbaland and the more recent ITB stuff.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps
mixed on neve in chung king and have mixed ssl at sony, quad, and defunct hit factory. neve sounds "rounder & smoother" sort of like older mobb deep or tribe stuff. But the punch and "in ya face" sound always came from the ssl.
when did you mix at the hit factory?
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

And where can I find a freak that will pay this console for me?

heh heh heh

Has anyone prices for these babies? Just curious to find these informations! By the way: A good summing tool, like the SUMO will bring your ITB jobs into the right direction, don't they? To my ears they do it!

And for that preference question of chekmate: I would love a console with 16 Neve Pres and 16 SSL Pres and 16 API Pres, running through GML EQs in each track and finally mixxbuss like this: SSL Comp, API 2500 and a Pendulum ES-8!

Think this would be my holy grail!
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Neve no question. Don't like SSL's at all.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Addict

The new Mobb Deep album was mixed on an SSL 9000
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingneeraj
when did you mix at the hit factory?
QUITE SOME TIME AGO WHEN I WORKED AT WB UNDER THE OLD REGIME. KRS one was still there at reprise and we mixed a few artists on ssl and the sony oxford- could be the worst console for hip hop ever.
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
The sound of hip hop, as far as mixing goes for the last 10-15 years, is SSL 4000! The 9000 has been used as well, but all the Jay-Z, Rocafella, etc was SSL 4000... The only exception to this is Timbaland and the more recent ITB stuff.
that is the traditional sound of hip hop but it's changing. just about all the under platinum artists r mixing itb here in nyc. duro's room is straight ITB and it stays busy. we in the same bldg. Also most of down south artists we've dealt with are itb as well.
Old 15th May 2006
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
QUITE SOME TIME AGO WHEN I WORKED AT WB UNDER THE OLD REGIME. KRS one was still there at reprise and we mixed a few artists on ssl and the sony oxford- could be the worst console for hip hop ever.
Did KRS bring any artists out while he was working for the establishment? Curious to know.

D
Old 15th May 2006
Dor
Lives for gear

to stay on topic, i'm diggin' the warmth mixing on a neve brings.
Old 15th May 2006

Quote:
that is the traditional sound of hip hop but it's changing. just about all the under platinum artists r mixing itb here in nyc. duro's room is straight ITB and it stays busy. we in the same bldg. Also most of down south artists we've dealt with are itb as well.
I think there's a good amount of ITB mixing going on... Which building is Duro in now? Last I knew he had an SSL in the Right Track building. But, I haven't been there in years.

I know he mixed that Fabolous "Breathe" on Just Blaze's 4000..
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
I think there's a good amount of ITB mixing going on... Which building is Duro in now? Last I knew he had an SSL in the Right Track building. But, I haven't been there in years.
check ur pm
Old 15th May 2006

Quote:
check ur pm
Got it!
Old 16th May 2006
We record/mix from Console: Amek TAC Magnum-88 input My engineer told me they were made by Neve, so it has a similar sound. I am very happy with the results.

From what i read here, If SSL has a bright sound VS Neva warmer sound. i think id stick with the Amek or Neve boards.
Old 16th May 2006
Quote:
We record/mix from Console: Amek TAC Magnum-88 input My engineer told me they were made by Neve, so it has a similar sound. I am very happy with the results.
Well your engineer told you wrong.

The Tac Magnum was not designed by Rupert Neve.

It has nothing to do with Rupert Neve.

He would probably be insulted if he read that statement.heh

Quote:
From what i read here, If SSL has a bright sound VS Neva warmer sound. i think id stick with the Amek or Neve boards.
Not all SSL's sound alike.

Not all Neve's sound alike.

Not all Amek's sound alike.

Again different horses for different courses.
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

SSL Channel Strip

One day I saw a SSL channel strip somewhere and I think it was call an Xlogic or something. I now wonder if it sounds like any of the console or not. Just curious because I don't know.
Old 17th May 2006
Quote:
Well your engineer told you wrong.

The Tac Magnum was not designed by Rupert Neve.

It has nothing to do with Rupert Neve.
werd? ill find out. he also posts here.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

A good combo is to track with the Neve and mix with the SSL .
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

Neve is not inferior to SSL by any means or standards.

I would prefer tracking with a Neve console, Mixing on an SSL (generally)

However, I would prefer mixing on a Neve Console if the song has to sound "pure" and/or have a warm drive.
I'd prefer SSL if I were going for punch, tightness and THAT pop / radio-friendly sound.
Old 18th October 2015
Here for the gear

Let me put a different spin on this question. I'm coming here not necessarily because of a preamp I'm considering (down the road though) but because I am a composer who writes in a number of different genres - country/americana, ambient relaxation sort of stuff, acoustic sorts of tracks (with the occasional easy listening/contemporary stuff featuring piano and acoustic guitars), rock, Coldplay/U2 knockoffs, all geared mostly towards music licensing in the rf and tv/film worlds. So I am wondering what strengths/differences there are between the different console emulations and channel strips for various instruments and genres. Any thoughts ? I already own the Waves renaissance bundle and SSL collection and am using Logic, have the sound toys stuff (OK we are getting out of the realm of mixing consoles now), own Ozone, and am wondering if there are really any tried and true expansions or other areas to go that are going to impart different strengths / character other then what I already have.
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Head
The transformers in a Neve will add magic to your recordings. The cleaner aspects of an SSL console is the reason why I prefer it for mixing especially if introducing outboard gear. If possible, I'd use both during my production process.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search