The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEVE VS SSL? Which one you engineers like more? Consoles
Old 19th October 2015
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obagam View Post
The transformers in a Neve will add magic to your recordings. The cleaner aspects of an SSL console is the reason why I prefer it for mixing especially if introducing outboard gear. If possible, I'd use both during my production process.
Nice first time post. Magic really?
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Nice first time post. Magic really?
Thanks. Yup, those St. Ives transformers are magical.
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

You asked what I prefer.
SSL.
Clean.
Lots of head room.
The compressor does this weird thing where it feels like it's pushing the source foward. Love the dynamics section. EQ is ok. Great imaging if it's maintained. Never got into automation until the later models.
A lot of routing options. The only thing I do hate about them is the buss compressor. I'm usually mixing bass heavy material and it kills my low end.
I've never looked into if you can filter the comp. but I usually patch a neve mbp on my master which travels with me everywhere.
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Common went to a an old discrete Neve console for his last 2 albums and I don't think it sounds very good. Kinda muddy.

EDIT: Of course I love the Neve sound by itself, but I don't think it lends itself to that modern snappy Hip Hop sound very well. It's like in the late 80s, early 90s, when a couple of Hip Hop classics were mixed on Neves. The entrance of SSL has changed that aesthetic radically. The 88R/Genesys can be nice though. While the Duality/AWS (ultra-clean and neutral)

Last edited by Stimmt; 19th October 2015 at 09:28 PM..
Old 20th October 2015
Lives for gear
People, this thread is about mixing on a Neve console vs. an SSL console from.... wait for it.... 2006! Almost nobody is mixing hip-hop or r&b on EITHER in 2015. With rare exception, hip-hop and r&b are being mixed ITB or ITB with a little outboard where necessary.
Old 20th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
People, this thread is about mixing on a Neve console vs. an SSL console from.... wait for it.... 2006! Almost nobody is mixing hip-hop or r&b on EITHER in 2015. With rare exception, hip-hop and r&b are being mixed ITB or ITB with a little outboard where necessary.
Actually this thread was asking specifically if you're an engineer, which do you prefer. Whether it's relevant or not. maybe he's just learning about mixing. So if you don't have anything positive to add to his post. Why are you on it. I still mix on some form of an SSL. EVERYDAY.
I enjoy it.
Old 22nd October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimmt View Post
Common went to a an old discrete Neve console for his last 2 albums and I don't think it sounds very good. Kinda muddy.
Sounds interesting - where did you hear his last lp's were on an old Neve ?
Old 22nd October 2015
Lives for gear
old chung king = neve.
i'd say THE sound of the mid to late 80s for hip hop.

run dmc
beastie boys
ll cool j
public enemy
slick rick
Old 14th April 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopmix View Post
actually this thread was asking specifically if you're an engineer, which do you prefer. Whether it's relevant or not. Maybe he's just learning about mixing. So if you don't have anything positive to add to his post. Why are you on it. I still mix on some form of an ssl. Everyday.
I enjoy it.
why are we yelling at each other!
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear

SSL
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
Almost nobody, but definitely not nobody.
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear

Like most here have said, track with classic Neve, mix with SSL or modern Neve. FWIW, most SSL rooms always have a rack of Neve and API pres off to the side for tracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuckMott View Post
So I am wondering what strengths/differences there are between the different console emulations and channel strips for various instruments and genres. Any thoughts ?
This should not be in the high end, but I'll answer with my opinion. The closest you'll come to capturing an analogue console sound in the box is Acustica Audio Nebula, with Alex B's libraries. Search the Nebula threads in the Computer Music section to see what many have to share about console emulations.
Old 14th April 2016
Lives for gear

SSL 4000 G was the first desk I recorded with, but I tried a Neve 88R and just moved to that studio
Old 18th April 2016
If we are talking just consoles, and ONLY ones you can buy new:

On the low end: I'd prefer an SSL X-desk - make it sound however you want.

Out of the big guys: I've only had time with an AWS 924, so my opinion is probably not worth reading... but I was impressed. Very clean and unobtrusive. I love those EQs. I preferred it to our DDA DMR12.
Old 20th April 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obagam View Post
Thanks. Yup, those St. Ives transformers are magical.
if you had to describe... what do they do to the sound?
Old 20th April 2016
Ssl 4 or 6k here.
Old 20th May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Like most here have said, track with classic Neve, mix with SSL or modern Neve. FWIW, most SSL rooms always have a rack of Neve and API pres off to the side for tracking.

This should not be in the high end, but I'll answer with my opinion. The closest you'll come to capturing an analogue console sound in the box is Acustica Audio Nebula, with Alex B's libraries. Search the Nebula threads in the Computer Music section to see what many have to share about console emulations.
In your opinion, do you think AlexB's MFC and MFeQ are superior (sonically) to GOLD (Acqua)?

Perhaps Ill just use GOLD or SAND for compression (and EQ maybe).
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
In your opinion, do you think AlexB's MFC and MFeQ are superior (sonically) to GOLD (Acqua)?

Perhaps Ill just use GOLD or SAND for compression (and EQ maybe).
Gold has a tone more color and would be a tracking/tone plugin to me, while MFC has the clean punch perfect for mixing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search