The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EVENT ASP8 vs. MACKIE HR824 Studio Monitors
Old 14th May 2006
Gear nut

EVENT ASP8 vs. MACKIE HR824

ive narrowed it down to these two but im not sure which ones i should buy. i hear the events have punchier bass but is that a good thing to have when tryin to mix. which monitors translate the best. help me out guys .
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I tried both. I went with the ASP8's. It really is a matter of preference. You have to listen to them. You can't go wrong with either of them in that price range. I'd go with the ASP8's if you are mixing in a bigger room.
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

mackies are offer a "true" sound and more accurate mix.
the mackies traslate much better imo
and yes i've used both for quite some time
Old 15th May 2006
Gear addict

i think the mackies are easier to figure out.
the asp8's are nicer sounding (i.e. easier on the ears) which is a very bad thing at first, but once you learn what they're doing, you have the benefit of our ears not being blown away in an hor of mixing. don't get me wrong, they're accurate, but it's kinda they're accurate in their own way. don't ask me to explain cause i can't.

i was in the market fo some 824's and i went and auditioned them next to the asp8's.
i went with the asp8's. they are without a doubt more detailed, and much more 3d sounding than the 824's, but you'll have time spend some serious time in front of them to really really figure them out.

i think the asp8's will make you pay more attention to how you use reverb and spacial effects in your mixes, causing you to try things that you may not have tried with the mackies.

check em both out. they're both quality monitors
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

Mackie 824 tutt

Event ASP8 heh
Old 15th May 2006
Gear nut

when i was buying new monitors i went in for the asp8's and left with the mackie's. the event's sounded great but more like home stereo speakers. the mackie's were a lot clearer.
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

ya.....i heard them side buy side. the Events were nice but they seemed to be too soft(too smooth) in the high end. might force u too add more high end when not needed... he HR624 seemed to have a better mid section vs the 824's, with had a fuller low end.

but hey... anything u got you'll have to learn how the sound in your room.
Old 16th May 2006
M2E
Lives for gear

I was in the same "which speakers should I get" space your in right now about 1 year ago.
I looked at what speakers were out there in my price range and a little bit higher.
I went on the Guitar Center, West LA Music, Sam Ash, Westlake Studio, Sweetwater and so on website's looking for a great mid priced speaker.
At the time I was using NS10's and KRK 6000 speakers but wanted better ones.
I also mix with radio shack small speakers but, that's a different story.
I got together a whole bunch of the same priced, knowned named speakers on one sheet of paper, called my local Guitar Center to see if they had all of them, which they had most and I had them set it up for me.

1. KRK's (can't remember which ones)
2. Event's ASP8's
3. Mackie's 824's
4. Yamaha NS10 Replacement speakers they brought out that no one got.
5. JBL
6. Blue Sky

and a few more...they didn't have Westlake speakers which I wanted to check out but anyway.

Now what's very important is that you know I do Hip Hop/R&B/Pop. The lowend is very very important. Most of the speakers I checked out had a range between 40hz to 20khz.
I think the Mackie's go down to 38hz but the ASP8's go down the lowest at about 32hz.

To make a long story short. I narrowed it down to two of them.
1. Mackie's
2. Events ASP8's...I tried the ASP6's but just wasn't in same ball park as the ASP8's.

I went with the ASP8's because of these reason's over the Mackie's...
1. The lowend was warmer and had more fullness.
2. The width was smoking the Mackie's
3. The Mackie's had a NS10 mid range punch to it but the high end on the ASP8's was cleaner and more easy on the ears. "I mix for long times, at least 4 hours at a time, then I take an hour break and go back at it".
4. The mackie's really do sound boxy to me. I didn't want to NS10's again. The ASP8's are pleasing to the ears but in a mixing kind of way.
5. Louder than the Mackie's, just in case I needed that. Remember I do Hip Hop as well. They love to hear it loud....I begin my walk out of the room, I then come back when they are finished blowing there ears out.

After bringing them home I have to say. I love my Event's. Very happy with the purchase. I have a few Mixing friends that have the Mackie's and now they are looking for a better speaker.
Now don't get me wrong, I like the Mackie's and if the ASP8's wasn't out, I would have gotten them but, Thank GOD they were out and callin my name.

Remember to do these few things while checking out speakers.

1. Get your local store to hook all them up in a very nice listening space. I spent 2 1/2 to 3 hours picking mine.
2. Bring your own music. Your mixes as well as music you know sounds really great in the studio
3. Take your time really. Don't go with what everybody else is using. I didn't. Nobody around me were using the ASP8's but everybody was using NS10's or Mackie's.
4. Try to get the store to hook them up so you can listen in mono as well as stereo. Trick your ears and see how wide, full, and how much width a speaker has. Very important!!! Listen in mono for about 1 to 1 1/2 min's then switch to stereo.
5. Did I mention take your time?

I really hope this helps.

M2E
Old 16th May 2006
Lives for gear

between Mackie Hr824's and Event ASP8's i'd go with the Event's. In that price range I would also look at Dynaudio BM5a's.
Old 16th May 2006
Gear Maniac

MACKIE HR824

You can have mine at $700 for both of them.
Old 5th October 2013
Gear Head

I know this thread is old but I have a really nice pair of the ASP8s for sale. PM if interested.

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search