The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mono to stereo
Old 13th May 2006
mono to stereo

I've asked this question before but I don't think I made my self clear.. here it goes again.... from what I understand a stereo recording is two mono recordings on your left and right channels.... so let's say I'm doing a mono recording from a sound module/workstation... why can I just go to any editing program like soundforge or other to make this sound a stereo file??... why buy a pair of pres and comps eqs.. if you can do this ITB.... i can understand having a pair of all this units if your recording a live piano... I think the mic placement can give you a really dope effect... but from a workstation like the triton or motif???... it just doesn't make sence to me.... the reason I'm asking this is because... I track my stuff mono 99.9% of the time... it all comes from this type of workstations... after I get something dope going... I open all the needed files like drums snares on an editing software and convert them into stereo... is this wrong??...
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

almost all modern synths use stereo patches. hence if you are only making a motif a mono signal you are only getting half the story. don't do that.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

IMHO turning mono drums (indivual kicks, snares, etc) is pointless. The drums in your mix are gonna be panned to taste anyway. Once you group the drums and treat them as family it will be a big stereo drum mix anyway. Some guys make an arguement that stereo individual hits sound better. i never found this to be true.
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

I use stereo drum samples, so yea they do sound better in stereo.
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

So is it suggested to never make what's stereo into mono? Perfect example is like tracking the piano from the motif. The piano is very wide and if I track it in stereo and try to bring the left and right signal in about 15 or so degrees, it tends to sound unnatural. So how do you go about having stereo sounds that aren't so wide and take up so much of the stereo field?
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Addict

just pan the stereo track inward. i dont know, i don't use a motif i usually use sample cd pianos
Old 13th May 2006
aahhw... i'm still confuse... ....
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

I wouldnt say stereo is better but u do get a better sound from most workstation presets because those are made in stereo. use what u find to be best for some its stereo for others its mono. i prefer to do most things in mono

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search