The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is this home studio redundant???
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Is this home studio redundant???

Please look at this home studio and tell me the following things:

1) Are the Desk doctor DI's really nesscessary??

2)I here he Digi 002 are Converters are trash.Would the API A2D compensate??

3) Why Not use a Fatso Instead of a distressor and just get a nice compressor??

1)Shure Sm57 Mic- I won't be laying many vocals down at home initially,so I thought I'd go with something the sounds good without a booth.

2)DigiDesign 002- I prefer the faders over the rack version.

3)Apple Mac G5 - The brains behind the Recording aspect of the studio.

4)API A2D- Both a converter and Mic Pre. Just what I need for my DAW!

5) Emprical Labs Distressors-Pricey, but hopfully I can find a used stereo pair.Many Hip Hop engineers would say these are DAW must haves :shock:

6)Desk Doctor ACTIVE DI- I hear, some big producers use this in there private studios! It supposely really helps a getting your levels correct
on with your MPC, keyboard, samplers,etc. However I'll be in market for
a much smaller version.

If not the deskdoctor then country man DI's will have to do....

So tell me what you think....
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stress Man

3) Why Not use a Fatso Instead of a distressor and just get a nice compressor??[/B]

I've been thinking the exact same thing.

I've been wanting to pick up a fatso for pumping my 2bus through, and I need a compressor as well. I'd only be using the fatso as an outboard compressor behind a vox channel, so I think it would be great in that aspect.

Once in the box I use the UAD stuff which is excellent.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Head

If you go with the API A2D, I don't think you need the DeskDoctor or Countryman DI.
Old 13th May 2006

Quote:

1) Are the Desk doctor DI's really nesscessary??

2)I here he Digi 002 are Converters are trash.Would the API A2D compensate??

3) Why Not use a Fatso Instead of a distressor and just get a nice compressor??

1)Shure Sm57 Mic- I won't be laying many vocals down at home initially,so I thought I'd go with something the sounds good without a booth.

2)DigiDesign 002- I prefer the faders over the rack version.

3)Apple Mac G5 - The brains behind the Recording aspect of the studio.

4)API A2D- Both a converter and Mic Pre. Just what I need for my DAW!

5) Emprical Labs Distressors-Pricey, but hopfully I can find a used stereo pair.Many Hip Hop engineers would say these are DAW must haves :shock:

6)Desk Doctor ACTIVE DI- I hear, some big producers use this in there private studios! It supposely really helps a getting your levels correct
on with your MPC, keyboard, samplers,etc. However I'll be in market for
a much smaller version.

If not the deskdoctor then country man DI's will have to do....

First... you have a picture of the SM7, but you wrote the SM57... Which one are you thinking about getting?

Well, the Digi 002 converters are usable, certainly not trash... But, with the A2D you would have a superior converter... Honestly, in this situation you wouldn't need the Desk Doctor unit or the Countrymans, as the API would serve as your DI's, as well as mic preamp. You could pick up a couple Countryman's to use in conjunction with the A2D to get a different sound, though. But, it's not a neccesity.

Now, for the FATSO.... The Fatso should not ever be compared to the Distressor! I can't stress this enough... They aren't nearly as versatile as the Distressor. I don't consider it so much a compressor, but a color box... They are completely different boxes and are to be used for different things. Honestly, the Fatso shouldn't even be a thought until you have a proper front end, as it's primarily a mix tool. You have to get your front end right first... I also think some people on the board over-value the FATSO, but that's a whole different subject.

So, a setup of the G5, Digi 002r (I would get the rack), the A2d and Distressors is about as good a setup as you can get. You can always add more pieces later on down the road, but that's a great start..
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
First... you have a picture of the SM7, but you wrote the SM57... Which one are you thinking about getting?

Well, the Digi 002 converters are usable, certainly not trash... But, with the A2D you would have a superior converter... Honestly, in this situation you wouldn't need the Desk Doctor unit or the Countrymans, as the API would serve as your DI's, as well as mic preamp. You could pick up a couple Countryman's to use in conjunction with the A2D to get a different sound, though. But, it's not a neccesity.

Now, for the FATSO.... The Fatso should not ever be compared to the Distressor! I can't stress this enough... They aren't nearly as versatile as the Distressor. I don't consider it so much a compressor, but a color box... They are completely different boxes and are to be used for different things. Honestly, the Fatso shouldn't even be a thought until you have a proper front end, as it's primarily a mix tool. You have to get your front end right first... I also think some people on 1-the board over-value the FATSO, but that's a whole different subject.

So, a setup of the G5, Digi 002r (I would get the rack), the A2d and Distressors is about as good a setup as you can get. You can always add more pieces later on down the road, but that's a great start..

Man you can scrap the mics all together for now,here's a few other question though:
1- Why The rack instead of the regular 002??

2-What other "front end gear" could improve this set up besides the Neve/ Aurora?
Old 13th May 2006

Quote:
Man you can scrap the mics all together for now,here's a few other question though:
1- Why The rack instead of the regular 002??

2-What other "front end gear" could improve this set up besides the Neve/ Aurora?
1. The rack is $1000 cheaper...

2. There isn't much that would improve the sound, but rather add to it... The Aurora would be the first choice to add to that setup... then you could look at adding other front end stuff. But, the API, GTQ, and 002r is my front end of choice right now!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search