The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
tracking synths and drum machines: digital vs analog
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

tracking synths and drum machines: digital vs analog

I mean, many synths, drum machines, samplers, have at least an spdif output, I undestand that tracking with the analog outputs into a nice DI/preamp/eq/comp/whatever, into a nice A/D is great to improve the sound.
but I was wondering if it's "ok" to track digitally and work the "color" of the tracks while mixing.
I ask this because tracking is long and studio time is expensive, so it can be a good solution to track at home without "mistakes".
And if you are a musical producer but not a sound scholar you can give a nice taste to a track, but while mixing at the studio, the engineer will look at you sideways, saying to himself "that dumbass ruined his tracks"(that's not a problem, the problem is the final result).

so what do you think/know/can say?
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

This is exactly what i do and it works great for me. I track everything into Pro Tools vi S/PDIF and then decide how i would like to color it. Im sure alot of producers and engineers know exactly how they would like there tracks to sound, and this is probly why they would just track stright though the outboard, but i like to give each production i do it's own character so i prefer to track digitally at first. Plus with this metod im not stuck with every track having color, and sometimes this helps me to build more contrast in my productions, also it might make the mixing engineer happy as he/she is not stuck with any color they are not happy with. But as always to each their own

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search