The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
All this DI/Preamp stuff is confusing!!
Old 12th May 2006
Here for the gear

All this DI/Preamp stuff is confusing!!

I have various drum machines and synths that i track thru an amek neve 9098dma di input, but i am reading that I should then go into a mic pre before my mini-me converter. I go into the neve unbalanced. The 9098dma is obviously outputing a balanced signal. Would it be better to get some DI's then go into the neve @ mic level? Also, how would this change coming from a balanced synth?
Old 12th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibarosoul
I have various drum machines and synths that i track thru an amek neve 9098dma di input, but i am reading that I should then go into a mic pre before my mini-me converter. I go into the neve unbalanced. The 9098dma is obviously outputing a balanced signal. Would it be better to get some DI's then go into the neve @ mic level? Also, how would this change coming from a balanced synth?
No... you can try it. But, you already have it setup properly. If you use a DI into a preamp you will increase noise, but also get the transformer characteristics. Try for your self and see which one you prefer.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Nut

ok so its not advisable to go with a mic pre into your converter after a DI?

i thought it was.
Old 12th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew14

i thought it was.
It is advisable for you to try it for yourself and see which you prefer.... it gives you a different sound.
Old 12th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
No... you can try it. But, you already have it setup properly. If you use a DI into a preamp you will increase noise, but also get the transformer characteristics. Try for your self and see which one you prefer.

This maybe a problem...

the Amek 9098 mic pre's are transformerless.
Old 12th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
This maybe a problem...

the Amek 9098 mic pre's are transformerless.
Oh yeah, the marketing called it a "TLA or Transformer-Like Amplifier' design". In this case, the topology includes a discrete transistor front end feeding an OP275 and a pair of NE5534 ICs (for the geekslutz out there). Although... when you look at the schematic, it looks as though there is a transformer in the path called the VT30972, which I can't figure out exactly what it is.. Do you have one over there?
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew14

i thought it was.

I thought it was too since you'd be hitting the input transformer of the pre and have more tonal variety. The DI on some pres do hit the input transformer, like the great river stuff. Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious how pronounced the difference is using mic input (impedance, loading options) when working with synths and drum machines.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

if its a preamp built with transformers and a DI you are almost guaranteed it will color the sound by plugging directly in. Again, a box of 500 series pres like A Designs, API, OSA, whatever is a good way to inject color and get a lot of channels
Old 13th May 2006
Here for the gear

OK got that thanks, how about if its a balanced synth output?
Old 13th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibarosoul
OK got that thanks, how about if its a balanced synth output?
I would come out unbalanced and hit a DI and get some character, rather than just connecting it directly to a converter....
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I'm tryin my best to pick up on DI's an mic pre's. From someone coming straight from software to hardware this stuff is still way over my head. My setup looks like this.

Motif >>MV8000>> Firebox>>CPU>>Cubase LE

So where in this chain should the DI an the pre amp be placed ? And what does a DI box do ? Takes the main audio out into the DI and has a XLR on the other end which can be plugged into a pre for more warmth an tweaking ?
I'm tryin my best to pick up on this. Should I **** can the firebox for somethin better ?
Old 13th May 2006
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
I would come out unbalanced and hit a DI and get some character, rather than just connecting it directly to a converter....

How do you come out UN balanced from a synth with Balaced outs?
Old 13th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet
How do you come out UN balanced from a synth with Balaced outs?
Use a female XLR - TS cable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search