The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
S/PDIF To AES Converters
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

S/PDIF To AES Converters

I was wondering if anyone could recomend a good solution to my problem

I have a rack full of Sound Modules and with my current setup it works best for my situation to record everything into Pro Tools vi S/PDIF. My problem is that i would like to give each piece it's own input digitaly, but all the Pro Tools HD Interfaces only support AES Expansion cards(that i know of), so it seems the best thing to do is try to convert all the S/PDIF signals to AES, and then feed thoes signals into Pro Tools, and in theory problem solved. I have searched and found a few little S/PDIF to AES converter boxes but im not sure the quality of the conversions(is there a difference in quality?)

I am looking for an all in 1 Rack solution with somthing like 5 S/PDIF in to 5 AES out.
Could this be a reality or am i dreaming of a unit like this, as i have had no luck finding one yet.

Thanks for all the help

Last edited by tekn0; 11th May 2006 at 05:04 PM..
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Guru

i'm kinda looking for the same thing, but i just need 2 channels.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305
i'm kinda looking for the same thing, but i just need 2 channels.
i have found a few thoes thoes already just google for "S/PDIF to AES converter" and you should get some of them.

Im really starting to wonder if a rackable device liks this excists, it seems logical that it would but you never know.

Could be a nice lil lucrative piece of intellectual property to market do a developer
heh
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Problem Solved It does excist heh

The people over at z-sys are extreamly helpfull and even offer custom racks with any digital routing/converting you could need , amazing stuff

The unit is called the "z8.8d" which is 8in to 8outs and i was just informed the unit picture on the site is older and the new unit is now slimmed to only 1 rack space, and it's fully customizable.

I have found this unit @ hxxp://www.z-sys.com/pp_routing.html

I hope this helps someone heh

They also answered my conversion questions.

"AES and s/pdif are for all practical purposes identical - except for some channel status bit values within the digitally encoded signal, and these are barely ever used by any gear today. For this reason, a conversion between them requires only that you address their different electrical characteristics, namely impedance and voltage swing. This means that conversion requires no signal processing (or decode-->alter the sample data itself-->encoding), provided that you can maintain the same sample rate and wordlength (which is true in your case). And this means that as long as you take care of the impedance and voltage swing differences correctly, the audio sample data, or samples, cannot be altered. This is by no means the only way to design such a product, but we chose this design strategy precisely because it results in a router that *can't* color the audio. "
Jon Stevens
Z-Systems Audio Engineering

Thats exactly what im looking, so now i can get the signal into my daw as clean as possiable and then color the **** out of it with all my other tools.

Last edited by tekn0; 11th May 2006 at 09:25 PM..
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you're not running cable too far, maybe this Redco deal will work for you.

http://mercenary.com/neditr.html
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0
Thanks for the link as they look very cool, but i think they only go from AES to S/PDIF and not the other way around, which is what i need in my case. Or am i reading that link wrong?

well there are two adapters to chose from.

if you are going FROM AES to spdif, you'll probably want the adapter with FEMALE XLR/AES
if you are going spdif to AES, probably the MALE XLR.

also, if you're buying the ones with transformers, go direct to Redco, and save money:
http://www.redco.com/shopdisplayprod...0&cat=Adapters
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

yep i noticed that after i posted back hehe, my error so i deleted my post
thies things look nice, and thanks for the direct link

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search