The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
so my next piece of gear should be in soon... Control Surfaces
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

so my next piece of gear should be in soon...

So I ordered a Burl B2 ADC!! In December...it's still not here...

It's due in soon, I am excited. Think I will actually notice a difference? I'm hoping that since its supposed to be colored I will actually notice some difference...

Anyone else have one of these? Anything cool I can do with this, other than warming my room?

I think next I will be buying a power filter rack unit, a rack, and some acoustic treatment...after that I need a new mic (need to try Lawson), and then ???

Obviously when it comes, I'll play around with it and post some crap.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

You have a B2 but no decent sound treatment?
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
You have a B2 but no decent sound treatment?
No sound treatment...sound treatment doesn't light up and flash

Actually, renting the u87 made me realize I need it. It picks up more room noise then my current mic. A LOT of room noise. I'v been playing with it with a blanket over me and the mic and the reflection filter.

Next month I'm gonna put like $1000 into just management crap, cables, power filter, rack, acoustic treatment, etc...
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot View Post
Haha all food. Did you get the DA or AD? not that it make too much difference, the difference between a intermediate AD/DA vs top end conversion like the Burl is minimal in an untreated room.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
Haha all food. Did you get the DA or AD? not that it make too much difference, the difference between a intermediate AD/DA vs top end conversion like the Burl is minimal in an untreated room.
Well, AD.
I don't see much point for a DA ... except, now that I have expensive gear I'm starting to run more through it... I guess in that case a DA would be useful (digital to analog thru equipment back to digital), but otherwise for what? Monitoring a mix through equipment 1 in a million people are going to use?
I'v read some tests that people have done, and apparently you can run a signal from da->ad on a fireface 400 over 20 times before theres a noticeable signal degradation.
However, the Burl is *supposed* to be colored (I'm assuming not hugely colored, it IS a converter), and I want more color.

I just want to get 2 channels of pro studio quality signal, with pre/compression/eq/converters and then I promise I won't buy anymore
Old 19th February 2012
Jack of all Trades
Quote:
I'v read some tests that people have done, and apparently you can run a signal from da->ad on a fireface 400 over 20 times before theres a noticeable signal degradation.
I would be skeptical of that.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, AD.
I don't see much point for a DA ... except, now that I have expensive gear I'm starting to run more through it... I guess in that case a DA would be useful (digital to analog thru equipment back to digital), but otherwise for what? Monitoring a mix through equipment 1 in a million people are going to use?
There is not much point considering your current setup but yeah point being to aurally dissect the mix in order to achieve ... blah blah blah.

Any ways, keens to hear some A/B on the B2 A/D sounds nice.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Can you list the rest of your gear.
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGherkins View Post
Can you list the rest of your gear.
FF400
Great River MP-2NV
Rane PEQ 55 (digital EQ, not bad, overclean but works, was very very cheap)
Art Pro Digital MPA2
Shure KSM44
Apex Crap Ribbon
Shure SM58
Dynaudio BM5 MK2
Tannoy TS10 sub
Audio Technica ATH-M50s
Korg Kontrol 49
Music Man Stingray 5 string bass
Walmart guitar I ripped apart, refinished, and rebuilt the electronics in (stereo out!!)

I kinda really want something like the Mackie MCU or something similar, I really like the hands on feeling and workflow real gear gives - I find I can much more easily find the sound I want from the ****ty digital hardware EQ knobs than from advanced emulation on-screen plugins. That may be the next thing I get while I look for a new mic...maybe.
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

Im looking at an artist mix, i like the look better than the mcu. Nice setup
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Im looking at an artist mix, i like the look better than the mcu. Nice setup
Thanks

I never saw/noticed the artist mix before!!
It looks a lot nicer than the MCU ... but its lacking a jog wheel .. I wonder if it has transport controls.

I will investigate further!
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

they are modular like the mcu units so you can get a jog wheel add on and chain a bunch of them together.
Old 20th February 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
I would be skeptical of that.
Dont be - I have an FF800 and have done up to 10 cycles with no degredation. On ocassion it can cause some issues earlier dependent on what you're doing. I was simply running audio out and back in via some outboard comp/distortion units etc. I think the converters are the same on both FF. Very very capable converters. Ok they are not Halo or prism..but it willl do a job. To be honest my 10 cycles was overkill. You shoudn't ever need to do this in reality.

Regards
Old 20th February 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:

Actually, renting the u87 made me realize I need it. It picks up more room noise then my current mic. A LOT of room noise. I'v been playing with it with a blanket over me and the mic and the reflection filter.

Next month I'm gonna put like $1000 into just management crap, cables, power filter, rack, acoustic treatment, etc...
I know what you mean dude. Treatement is like the most unglamorous spend..BUT seriously do it..You will find that it causes more enjoyment than anything you have purchased - it will make more of a difference to what you're actually hearing more so than anything!
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
I know what you mean dude. Treatement is like the most unglamorous spend..BUT seriously do it..You will find that it causes more enjoyment than anything you have purchased - it will make more of a difference to what you're actually hearing more so than anything!
Thanks, I plan on it.

I didn't like the u87 much, so I'll spend this month making 'unglamorous spends' (and saving a little more than usual) while I search for a 'perfect mic' (or at least close!).
Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
they are modular like the mcu units so you can get a jog wheel add on and chain a bunch of them together.
They're pretty ****ing expensive.

I guess an Artist Mix + Artist Transport would be around the same functionality as an MCU, for $600 more. I guess you could also do an Artist Mix + Artist Control, but that's close to $3000.

Maybe just an Artist Control would make more sense for me ... 4 faders seems reasonable. I don't really see the point of having more than 4 faders, unless you're planning on getting enough physical faders to have one for each track, which I'm not about do. I'll try and find somewhere that have both in stock, and try to play with both of them. I'd have to see how the faders sound/feel before deciding, but the they *do* look a lot nicer than the MCU.

I was also looking at the SSL Nucleus, but that's way too much $$$ for what you get.
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Bruh, don't underestimate D/A! If you do any mixing it's very helpful, almost manditory for your monitors. D/A is usually where pro-sumer interfaces are weak.

Good purchase though.
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.rOk.stA View Post
Bruh, don't underestimate D/A! If you do any mixing it's very helpful, almost manditory for your monitors. D/A is usually where pro-sumer interfaces are weak.

Good purchase though.
I hope it was!

Maybe if I swap my digi tubes, my D/A will sound better!

I also have wanted a UA 2192, which has A/D and D/A ... but I don't see how I can justify buying two converters before I even have an analog EQ or compressor.
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

@TDOT

Congrats!! You will love the Burl b2 ADC & notice a difference.
Just got mine on Feb 14th & I love it.
I print into it after summing and outboard using b2's masterclock.
But I haven't tracked through it, yet.
The B2 ADC is dope. I highly recommend everyone to try it out.
I will be picking up the B2 DAC soon. Hopefully sooner than later.
Again the unit is the ****, I'm parked @ -22.
Peace.
Attached Thumbnails
so my next piece of gear should be in soon...-burlrack2.jpg  
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOxmyn View Post
@TDOT

Congrats!! You will love the Burl b2 ADC & notice a difference.
Just got mine on Feb 14th & I love it.
I print into it after summing and outboard using b2's masterclock.
But I haven't tracked through it, yet.
The B2 ADC is dope. I highly recommend everyone to try it out.
I will be picking up the B2 DAC soon. Hopefully sooner than later.
Again the unit is the ****, I'm parked @ -22.
Peace.
Nice rack

I'm planning on using mine mostly for tracking, but I'm sure I can find lots of other uses for it.

I hope I don't like it THAT much, because then I might want a B2 DAC instead of buying something I need more urgently heh

You have it going into your aurora thru AES? The fireface 400 only has RCA SPDIF...oh well. How do you like the aurora? FW or MADI?

I see the distressor on your rack - I'm planning on renting one sometime soon (Long & McQuade lists them on their rental page, so they'll *have* to find me one to rent). Only thing is, I want a stereo compressor and they're only mono. I guess I could always just take two.....
Old 23rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Long and mcquade never had any to rent when I asked, so I ended up just buying one from them. They have some really nice used/demo stuff when I was in last, and some good deals on 1176s.
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

well if it counts, I just bought a stanton t.62

Its not a 1200 but for $199 how can I complain?

up next some treatment, power filter, and maybe a rack (and maybe an mcu if I feel like it)
Buying it isn't the problem, deciding if I wanna be broke for the rest of the month is!
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Is there anyway u could budget more and get the mothership? Its a modular monster. Waiting to hear the results that u hear from the B2
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Is there anyway u could budget more and get the mothership? Its a modular monster. Waiting to hear the results that u hear from the B2
I wish. Id have to be insane to spend THAT much on converters tho, especially since I have no mixer/summing and almost never record more than 1 channel at a time.

When I get the burl, I will run some burl vs fireface samples, though since it does have big ass transformer I do expect at least. slightly different results.
Old 28th February 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
well if it counts, I just bought a stanton t.62

Its not a 1200 but for $199 how can I complain?

up next some treatment, power filter, and maybe a rack (and maybe an mcu if I feel like it)
Buying it isn't the problem, deciding if I wanna be broke for the rest of the month is!
Up next..SOME TREATMENT...SOME TREATMENT and maybe some TREATMENT!

Do it first and check results before after..I bet you end up making this your next focus the moment you hear things the way you intended! I cant say this enough. I went from no treatement..to treatement..back to no treatment..I AM NOT HAPPY. This is my priority the moment i move house.
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
Up next..SOME TREATMENT...SOME TREATMENT and maybe some TREATMENT!

Do it first and check results before after..I bet you end up making this your next focus the moment you hear things the way you intended! I cant say this enough. I went from no treatement..to treatement..back to no treatment..I AM NOT HAPPY. This is my priority the moment i move house.
I fully agree! The more and more pro gear I'v been buying (no more $15 mics!) the more and more I'v noticed my space get in the way.

Even covering myself and the u87 and the stand in a blanket when I record, I can hear the sound improve 5 times - I will be VERY happy when I can get rid of all the echo.

I'm just worried as the space is my bedroom, how much treatment I can actually do....and if it will be enough. Hopefully it will at least be an improvement. I should be ordering some ish wednesday.

I'm running out of space too....but that's a different story.
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

It came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came it came
Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

As I promised, some tests....

So, I decided to use something simple, basically drums, and run it out of the FF400, into my Great River MP-2NV just clipping it to get some distortion and 'analog-ify' the signal (to possibly add something to the signal pure digital can't), and then back into my FF400, Burl at -12db input level, and Burl at -22db input level.

I normalized all the levels to -2db, and tried to null them. Obviously this doesn't work - running the B2 hotter made the signal look even visually slightly more compressed relative to the peaks. Also, the FF400's converters has less latency, so I had to compensate by shifting the waveform back by a few samples.
Afterwards, I pretty much got:

ff400 -> burl -12db input level nulls to -12.9 db
ff400 -> burl -22db input level nulls to -12.3 db
burl -12db input level -> burl -22db input level nulls to -34.8db

as subjective as that is..........

Heres a picture showing a close up on the waveforms:

http://tdotshack.net/burltest.png

I didn't embed it because its pretty big - but it's pretty obvious the firefaces signal looks significantly different. However thats on a microscopic level - does it really SOUND different?

I uploaded the 3 samples, if anyone *really* wants them full quality, you can get them here, be warned it's 40 megs:

http://tdotshack.net/Mixdowns.rar

For anyone interested enough in the burl to actually listen to the 3, which one do you think sounds best? Do you even notice a difference? In a few days I'll post what each sample was, this way you can have a true analysis of what you hear

I guess I can tell you what I hear, listen for the clarity and separation of the higher end between the congas and drum beat
Attached Files

sample1.mp3 (613.1 KB, 38 views)

sample2.mp3 (613.1 KB, 39 views)

sample3.mp3 (613.1 KB, 38 views)

Old 9th March 2012
Lives for gear

difference is pretty subtle, #2 sounds less present in the mids (or you could say 'smoother'). i've hear burls described as darker so who knows.

laptop > cans > mp3s though

where you'll notice the big difference is in the aggregate of all the signals you've run through it working together.
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Nut

#1 and #2 very similar (#2 had a wee bit more depth/3D)
#3 sounded noticeably fuller, nicely saturated...(my guess for the Burl)

.... thinking about buying a B2AD- however if it's #1 or 2 -maybe not!

listened on Lynx> Pacifica>MainGain>Bryston>NS-10's
and then a Duet>Sennheiser HD650

Thanks for the files! nicely done!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search