The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SM7 or AT4050?
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

SM7 or AT4050?

I want to sell my rode nt1000 (waaaaayyyy too bright) and replace it with another condenser. Right now I've really been eyeing the shure SM7 and the AT4050 (which is a little more pricey... an immediate downfall cuz my budget is very limited). I need a versatile mic that will be used primarily for vocals and guitar. Hip hop vocals most often, but I also do some recording for rock bands. Do either of these mics have a clear cut advantage when it comes to versaitility? I've heard tons of good things about the SM7 for hip hop vocals but how does it do on rock singers?
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Head

correct me if im wrong but i think metallica uses an sm7 to record their vocals? i remember catching their documentary on vh1 and im pretty sure the lead singer was gripping an sm7 and recording vocals in the control room, just vibing with the rest of the band.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

yeah, i'm not sure on that one. I also just realized that the sm7 is not a condenser. I'm lacking a good preamp at the moment so maybe I need to go with the 4050?
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrif08
yeah, i'm not sure on that one. I also just realized that the sm7 is not a condenser. I'm lacking a good preamp at the moment so maybe I need to go with the 4050?

the SM7 NEEDS a hi-end pre with lots of gain
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
the SM7 NEEDS a hi-end pre with lots of gain
any other suggestions? Ideally I need to keep it under the $500-$600 price range.
Old 10th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrif08
any other suggestions? Ideally I need to keep it under the $500-$600 price range.
Nope! You need to buy a good preamp...
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

$600 better be able to get you some decent stuff!

One good mic

or

One ok preamp

or

one ok mic and a decent preamp

If you need to upgrade it all, go with used gear. A 4033 is about $200 and get some kind of pre... maybe some presonus stuff. I havent used any in a long time but when I was on budget $$$ I always found the Presonus gear to be good for the $$$.

Other mics

MXL V69
any AT 40.......
Shure KSM 27
and there is a lot of other budget brands.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

i think the Rode K2 is a good mic in the under $600 range. Although I would be a little more concerned with a preamp. Summit 2ba221 is nice in that range..match with a RNC to start with and you don't have a bad channel to record. Just my $.02
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

I have a 4050 get a 4033 if you don't need an dual capsule. It's good for hiphop vocals, but so is the 4033.

BaseJase
Illynoise
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

You need a good preamp anyway.

The SM7B needs less gain than the SM7 - though being a dynamic still quite a lot. yes the preamp becomes more important, but you can get an SM7B brand new for $350. Then keep saving for a nice single channel pre.

That way you have a mic that you'll use for the rest of your life - even if you buy a U87 or whatever else down the track, you'll still have uses for an SM7.

If you buy a mediocre condensor, you'll still need a nice preamp to get great results, plus even once you get the preamp sorted, you'll be saving for a mic replacement again.

Buy once, buy right.

Cheers - Rez
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza
Buy once, buy right.
Word!

Audio Technica's 40 series is THE versatile mic you're looking at. I'll probably be buying an AT 4060, and an SM7B. All plugged in a API A2D (if there's one left somewhere ^^).

You can't go wrong with this choice as far as I know. But yes, the preamp IS really relevant of your recordings.

I have a Rode NT3 mic. I hate it. But maybe that I hate it because the only preamp I have is the one sitting in my 4 channel Berhinger analog mixer (s*x so bad).

HTH
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Your goal should be to have both of those microphones. The SM7b is a fantastic dynamic microphone. Good for recording, good for live/practice.
Your 4050 would generally only be for recording and will be more useful overall for recording.
Your first question should be, should I go dynamic or condenser.
Then think about what would be the maximum you would spend on a microphone.
If I were not concerned about live/practice, I would get the 4050. If I planned on buying an expensive microphone in the future, I would start with the SM7b and save up for a Charter Oak, Pearlman or Soundelux (and spend in the $1000-1500 range) at minimum.
It all depends on what your strategy, plans and finances are.
I have both of those mics. If I had to get rid of one, I would throw the SM7 even though I love it. (I can still use my Shure Beta 58 for live/practice.)
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Nut

sm7 is great, takes eq really nicely but like everyone seems to agree, must have good pre in front. for the several hundred bucks, cant really go wrong, RE20 is good choice too, great on guitar cabs if you need it.
Old 12th May 2006
pan
Lives for gear

ditto RE20 !!!

It's way more versatile than an sm7 - and usually wins the shootout on Rap-Vocals at my place. - In the dynamic realm that is.

n
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Nut

the ae5400 is purportedly the same capsule (in cardoid-only) as the at4050 in a hand-held version, and can be found in the 250-350 range (disclaimer- no personal experience). The at3035 is also a nice mic, an electret like the 4033. and I like mine. I also like the Blue Baby Bottle, but that will eat up most of your budget.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search