The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Event 20/20bas Monitors
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Nut

Event 20/20bas Monitors

Just curious im lookin for some inexpensive monitors and ive been checkin otu these event 20/20 biamplified ones. just wanted some feedback on them. i would like them to carry alot of punchy bass without cracklin on me. are these good? thanks guys
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yep!

Although, some people say they are too bright. In that price range, I would A/B them against KRK V series, Mackie 824 and the ASP series.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

If you're using any monitor to the level that it's crackling, you should really watch your ears. Your monitors should NEVER get that loud, and truthfully your perception of things wll be thrown off pretty hard and your mixing will probably be ****ty.

I'd personally recommend to set up using Bob Katz's K-system for controlling appropriate monitoring levels and mixing dynamically.

Anyway, the 20/20BAS monitors work. They don't have a massive top-end as was just said. I have them on my desk right now. They can translate well. I don't think they offer enough transient detail or depth, but the monitors that I want to replace them are in a totally different price range (Air15/BM15's and Adams). If you have a mid-level setup, they work fine and will last you a long time.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

DynAudio and adams are the ****!

I work with the ASP series-love'em. They're not the best, but for the price they sound amazing. Also for what I do, I have no need to upgrade.

Last edited by z4.the.end; 10th May 2006 at 12:50 AM..
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Addict

If you ask my opinion. Those event's are terrible. The high's are messed up in all the wrong areas (but then again, being messed up anywhere in the frequency spectrum would make for a wrong area). The low end is just as deceiving.
Too be honest, they're the monitors I use, and they're the monitors many
grammy engineers have used (maybe not solely), and, further more, they're the monitors a whole hell of a lot of people use. They seem to be doing an alright job with translation, personally, 7 years with my models, and I still can't pull it off (the room is a big part of the problem , of course, and probably even my ears...hate to say it).

Rob.
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR
If you ask my opinion. Those event's are terrible. Rob.
Terrible enough to use them!? heh The same here! I am thinkinng about switching to Focal or ADAM. Or perhaps the Tannoy's if they are real good!?

I work happily with the Events, but I must say they sound real nice! A bit too nice sometimes! E.g.: I have high end boxes from T+A in my livingroom! From time to time I take tracks there to test them there! Often I am astonished how many little troubles I did not hear on my monitoring in the studio, when I hear them on the T+As!!! By the way: I have some major albums where I also found problems when I listened to them over these boxes! Wish I would find monitoring as good as the T+As, but not as expensive!
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Addict

I'd keep saving and buy monitors that you'll be absolutely pumped about for the next 10 years. Go to a good store and A/B the smaller models of the top brands - Dynaudio/Genelec/ADAM - maybe hunt some down secondhand to save cash... but buy once and buy right.

It's the only part of your studio that you actually hear - so it's not the area you want to cut corners.

Just my POV.
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I was very happy to sell my Event 20/20bas and switch to Noteperfect Alphas. Never could get the low end right on the Events. I find the Noteperfects translate very well.

http://www.noteperfect.com.au/

I agree with some of the others that you should buy the best monitors right off the bat. This will help you properly evaluate all the rest of the gear you ever buy.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

I('m changing soon

Hi fellas!

I, myself, been usig the Event 2020 Biamplified for aroun d 5 years. Used to LOOOOOVE them at the beginning and thru the years, starting to get tired of them (even as somone mentioned here before), a lot of Hit record and Single been recorded and mixed using those monitors but at the end, i've been like not hearing anymore thing or Transparence in my mixes. Was missing some things, so decided to go and get the New Adam A7 , wich i heard are very very goood and i will be using the Adams espcially for mixing and hearing the right thing and have the Event there simply when i wanna switch and hear some nice Low End (for R&B) etc... works very well by the way... and thats pretty much about it.

But to be honest, i'm tired of Event sounds (talking here about the 2020's of course), didnt tried the new one liek the Precisions, heard they are good but its time for me to move on. And Adams' product or PMC product is a very good way to go because they simply are the best and no compromise at all in the clarity of the sound. What you hear is what you GET. ANd i've heard Adams in action and man!! I must say that even the small version is "WOW"

But yes, for your question, yes Event 2020 is very good for Urban music... oy ya!! (again its my own experience)...

Good luck
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Nut

I love my 20/20 bas. You should always have more than one set of monitors. Even at quad studio with a gorgeous ssl and earth shattering monitors; they had a pair of Yamaha ns10's which are probably the ****tiest monitors i've ever heard. They do help you nail a mix, i've found mistakes in how my mids came across in my mixes and those ****ty speakers helped me get them just right.

I don't believe the 20/20's to be bottom heavy, you must tune them properly with the tool they give you in the box without any Eq. Do try to get your hands on the ****ty ns10's; I don't know if they've replaced them with anything else. I caught mine at a garage sale; YES A GARAGE SALE for 75.00 total.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Addict

Yes, please note, at even a "out of my price range" price range,
monitors aren't going to be perfect. If you're only going to
be looking into one set; do some research on what's going on with the
crossovers (a great way for manufacturer's to mask with "sweetness").

About the Tannoys. If you're looking in the under $1,500 price range;
those lines tend to have a hyper-pronounced sweet spot.
Almost like a phantom stereo, floating at the "eye" of the horizontal pyramid.
You'll always find your sweet spot, I suppose. Personally, I have confused
this for non-existent phase problems on multiple occasions. Even accused
persons of using stereo wideners and the like.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search