The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Smoke and Mirror Studios
Old 9th May 2006
Gear Addict

Smoke and Mirror Studios

I run a studio in Atlanta that pretty much caters to Hip-Hop and R&B.....as an experienced engineer I commonly go out to other studios....sometimes to engineer, most to help troubleshoot or help somebody with their set-up.... One thing I've noticed in alot of set-ups (mine inclusive) is how much of the set-ups are smoke and mirror... I'll use my studio for example.... Alot of people walk in and are impressed with the console, the racks, the desk,etc.

Now when I actually step back and look at it I realize that a majority of the equipment is just sitting there looking good....really has no use...I mean, hell, I haven't used ADAT's in about five years...but there are three of them racked...I have 3 DAT machines that serve no purpose.... Now 10 years ago this wasn't the case.... You needed those ADATs to multitrack to...you needed those DAT machines to make your 2 track mixes from.... Now a days, most everything I do is ITB.... When I get clients that come in and saw "Wow, how long did it take you to get all this equipment" or "I want to have a set up like this." I always shoot from the hip.... I think sometimes I'm actually discouraging them from working in my studio (lol) I tell them "you don't need all of this.... all you need is a good mic, decent pre-amp and a computer." The Control 24 is nothing more than a glorified mouse (and boy does it look good in Vegas Mode)
Even alot of production these days is done in the box.... It's nice to have MPC's, Tritons, Motifs, etc..... but most of my clients who are doing production are working on things like Reason...even Fruity Loops....

It's really amazing what we have at our fingertips.... I mean, you can basically have a complete studio in your computer.... I think we actually get spoiled by it.... and not saying that's totally a bad thing.... I remember when I first got PT.... I was blown away.... Before that I was running ADAT's using one compressor (printing that to tape) and two Alesis effects unit on Auxes.... Just the fact that I could have a compressor and EQ and such and such plug-in on each one of PT tracks just amazed me....

Now if you were thinking I had a point to this thread...I don't (lol) I get on here everyday and try to learn something new that will help me in my chosen career field.... But there are times I reflect on my total engineer experience...and in 2006 we have it better than we ever did.... I think the only downside to it is that it's so affordable now that anybody can get into it....as I said above, all you need is a decent mic, preamp and a computer and you have a studio (loosely saying) Trust me, in a city like Atlanta, everybody and there mother has a studio, or is the CEO of their own label..... Doesn't make everybody who has it an engineer but it's very affordable now than it ever was.....

Again, no point...just babbling... heh
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

Dam....man. It funny to see someone being true to thy self heh But hey.......there are folks that believe you do need all that and more to do a great recording.......(if there is such a thing) I always thought it was "Great Songs" heh and I'm sure you have read posts proving my point.

But hey..."MORE IS BETTER" well that's what must folks believe...and thats not gonna change any time soon. So at the end of the day..... if its making u money to pay the bills..... keep it around if u can.

Folks just don't realize how much money(album sales, radio play, etc) is being made from songs that were recorded with just what u said.............Mic, pre, computer.

"Don't Believe the Hype"heh

Last edited by nukmusic; 10th May 2006 at 12:56 AM..
Old 10th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudnoc
I think the only downside to it is that it's so affordable now that anybody can get into it....as I said above, all you need is a decent mic, preamp and a computer and you have a studio (loosely saying) Trust me, in a city like Atlanta, everybody and there mother has a studio, or is the CEO of their own label..... Doesn't make everybody who has it an engineer but it's very affordable now than it ever was.....
Well, like I always tell people... The Recording Engineer's degree doesn't come in the box...heh You can have all the gear in the world, but if you don't know what you're doing it will still sound like sh!t!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search