The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chandler ltd-1 users... vocal problems
Old 8th May 2006
Chandler ltd-1 users... vocal problems

so here I am playing with my chandler ltd1... got a sweet beat going... but my vocals sound like garbage.... I keep messing with the eq but still.... nothing... actually it DOESN'T SOUND LIKE GARBAGE.. it just sounds too sweet/soft for my voice... i need more thickness... (i'm using a ksm44 by the way).... if i can describe my voice... i say is kind of like loyd banks mixed with nelly.... (<---yeah I know) fuuck .... can anyone give me some good eq settings so I can get going with this song.... the vocals blend into the song... they just don't sound the way I want them... I need thickness and a more open sound... anyone??... thanx in advance...
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

compression
Old 8th May 2006
yeah... I know... man... got a wait a week or two to get me a distressor... can't wait.... thanx man
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe a new mic. I love the ksm44 but it is netural and a little bright. Not really what your going for here!
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

Try overdriving the input some. Add more gain and trim the output down to get the correct recording level.

Just tracked a vocal with my LTD-1 today and it worked wonders for a singer that was sounding a little too thin.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Addict

Banks mixed with Nelly... a mono tone happy rapper... or catchy cadences sprinkled with punchlines... when you get your vocals straight... post something... for some reason I cant even grasp the thought...
Old 8th May 2006

Compression isn't going to help you....

Try a different mic:

http://highprofileaudio.com/Microphones.htm

If that doesn't help, try an API preamp instead.
Old 8th May 2006
Lives for gear

...I get a "thicker" sound when using dynamics instead of condensers...you lose a bit of high end but you pick up a "fatter" sounding signal...I like the Shure SM7, and just started using a Heil PR40 as well...if you're doing hiphop/r&b stuff you should definately have a good dynamic in the house...SM7 is a great starting point...I drive mine with a rebuilt Neve 1290 (same pre the Chandler is designed around) and the gain needed for the dynamics and ribbon mics is definately there...just my $.02...

...one other thought..."thicker" and "more open" don't always go together...the dynamic mic like an SM7 will definately deliver thickness, but a condenser mic tends to bring more "openess" to a track...but along with that sense of "openess" often comes unwanted noise (AC, computer fan hum, neighbor's dog barking, etc...)...unless you have a really well "treated" recording environment, the dynamic will diminish unwanted sounds finding their way into your vocal tracks (IMHO)...
Old 8th May 2006
thanx for the help... I may go rent a couple of mics this weekend...
Old 9th May 2006
Lives for gear

my advice would be don't mess with an eq and compressor..get the right mic for your voice. All the outboard in the world won't fix the wrong mic..and if your asking for EQ settings for your voice over the internet I would reccomend bypassing the eq as you will prolly do more damage than good.. Good luckthumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search