The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Signal chain w/ plug-in fx. Need Advice
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Nut

Signal chain w/ plug-in fx. Need Advice

Hey guys- I have all the synths I need and now I want to set-up the best "bang for the buck" signal chain and plugin tool box I can get to process and record vocals. I will never need more than one 1 mic input at a time so hopefully that helps.

I'm a basement producer so acoustically I do not have the best set-up anyways, so HIGH LEVEL mics and pre's are not on my horizon. I just want to get the best sound I can get at the best price point.

My budget is around 1500 for both Mic and pre but if something is half the price and sounds almost as good, or more than that but sounds twice as good, I'm willing to go either route. I've heard really good things about FMR awhile back and studio projects mics. I have a AT4033 now and I wonder how that stacks up to the newer crop of mics in that price range.

Now as far as plugs go , I not only want to record but process and master my tracks as well. I do not work with clients so I have no one to please but myself.

I know I need a compressor, eq, limiter, reverb/fx and mastering/channel strip type plug, but is there anything else I should look into? Im looking at the Sonalkiss, PSP audio, URS, Wave Arts, & Elemental Audio plugs. I'm on a MAC in OSX tiger for my computer.

Any and ALL help is very much appreciated!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!
Old 8th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm71
Hey guys- I have all the synths I need and now I want to set-up the best "bang for the buck" signal chain and plugin tool box I can get to process and record vocals. I will never need more than one 1 mic input at a time so hopefully that helps.

I'm a basement producer so acoustically I do not have the best set-up anyways, so HIGH LEVEL mics and pre's are not on my horizon. I just want to get the best sound I can get at the best price point.

My budget is around 1500 for both Mic and pre but if something is half the price and sounds almost as good, or more than that but sounds twice as good, I'm willing to go either route. I've heard really good things about FMR awhile back and studio projects mics. I have a AT4033 now and I wonder how that stacks up to the newer crop of mics in that price range.

Now as far as plugs go , I not only want to record but process and master my tracks as well. I do not work with clients so I have no one to please but myself.

I know I need a compressor, eq, limiter, reverb/fx and mastering/channel strip type plug, but is there anything else I should look into? Im looking at the Sonalkiss, PSP audio, URS, Wave Arts, & Elemental Audio plugs. I'm on a MAC in OSX tiger for my computer.

Any and ALL help is very much appreciated!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!
Tell me more about your setup and what you are using now.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Addict

For a mic, get the Shure SM7B. Being a dynamic it takes the room out of the equation, and being cheap means you have cash for a dope pre... that's where you want to spend the cash IMO.

Another good compressor option could be the 'Black Lion Audio' modded 3630.

Cheers - Rez
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Tell me more about your setup and what you are using now.
Well as far as recording and mastering goes, not much. I have a AT4033 mic and that's about it. I have a mackie 2408 board that I can use the preamps for as well as a MOTU 828 USB interface, but I know I can do better than those. Also, I'm on a DP G5 2.5 in Digital Performer.

Hope that helps, appreciate the advice Tony as I value you opinion greatly!
Old 8th May 2006

Quote:
Well as far as recording and mastering goes, not much. I have a AT4033 mic and that's about it. I have a mackie 2408 board that I can use the preamps for as well as a MOTU 828 USB interface, but I know I can do better than those. Also, I'm on a DP G5 2.5 in Digital Performer.

Hope that helps, appreciate the advice Tony as I value you opinion greatly!
Can you increase your budget to $2000? You could get a huge bump in performance from an SM7 and API A2D combo... Anything less than that will be a big dropoff in comparison.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Can you increase your budget to $2000? You could get a huge bump in performance from an SM7 and API A2D combo... Anything less than that will be a big dropoff in comparison.

See that is what I'm looking for: best permormance to price ratio

thanks for the reply, but isn't the SM7 designed for voice over work? Would that be your "best bang for the buck" mic under a grand or even $500?

Also, I know that API is the next best thing, but would there be another lower model that offers close reults? How are the FMR line of pre's? I know the API is 3-4 times as much, but are the reults 3-4 times as good?

Also, what would be your go to line of plugs for your signal chain?
Old 8th May 2006

Quote:
See that is what I'm looking for: best permormance to price ratio

thanks for the reply, but isn't the SM7 designed for voice over work? Would that be your "best bang for the buck" mic under a grand or even $500?
No... It is widely used as a voice-over mic. But, I'm assuming you don't have a vocal booth, right? In which case the SM7 would be better than a mic costing 10 or 20 times it's price. You ever hear Michael Jackson's "Thriller"? Bingo... SM7!

Quote:
Also, I know that API is the next best thing, but would there be another lower model that offers close reults? How are the FMR line of pre's? I know the API is 3-4 times as much, but are the reults 3-4 times as good?
Yes, the API is easily 3 - 4 times better IMO...

Quote:
Also, what would be your go to line of plugs for your signal chain?
Take a look at the URS and Waves/SSL Bundles.
Old 8th May 2006

Also, you're completely missing the fact that the API has an ultra high quality converter... This would allow you to bypass the MOTU A/D and use the API converter instead. So, not only does it give you a mic pre that is leaps and bounds better than what you are trying to compare it to, but you also get a converter that will bypass your weakest link in the chain at that point the MOTU...

http://highprofileaudio.com/APIA2D.htm
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, you're completely missing the fact that the API has an ultra high quality converter... This would allow you to bypass the MOTU A/D and use the API converter instead. So, not only does it give you a mic pre that is leaps and bounds better than what you are trying to compare it to, but you also get a converter that will bypass your weakest link in the chain at that point the MOTU...

http://highprofileaudio.com/APIA2D.htm
i believe the jury is still out on the API converters. if they attacked it with the fervor in which they produce analog gear..should be stellar..i just haven't gotten enough feedback on the converters...any ides Tony? Any A/B's you've done? i'd be very interested...
Old 9th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwun25
i believe the jury is still out on the API converters. if they attacked it with the fervor in which they produce analog gear..should be stellar..i just haven't gotten enough feedback on the converters...any ides Tony? Any A/B's you've done? i'd be very interested...
The only piece I compared it to was the 002 converter, which I think it sounded better than. I've given up on A/B'ing converters, it's just not as fun as plugging a mic into a preamp and really hearing something... The tonal differences are much more subtle with converters than anything else you might run your chain through. If they're good, they're good.
Old 10th June 2006
Here for the gear

honestly ...

Go with the Studio Projects T3, $500 (using it now and loving it) and the MPA Gold PreAmp, $300.

Combine that with the Waves & SSl and the URS plugs and call it a day.

you will love it, spending much more than this, and you might as well be breaking serious bread on a C-800 and a ViPre
Old 10th June 2006
Gear Nut

Well I was thinking of having my MOTU 828 mod'ed by BLACK LION AUDIO and adding a SM7. BUT, I know the SM7 requires a LOT of clean gain and I wonder if the mod will be able to cooperate. Matt assures me it will and in fact add another 6-7 dbs. Otherwise a DAV BG1 might be in my cards.

Any thoughts on the BLA mod?
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

i would suggest ivnesting more on a good mic and less on a mic pre. as the difference b/w mics is far more noticible than the pres. and later on u can buy a better mic pres.

for plugins. all the ones u mentioned above have demo periods. so demo them and check for yourself. i personaly like the psp and i am not to much into waves. tc electronics makes some kickas stuff with u can afford the card. as well as uad.
sony oxford but thats way above our bugdet.

if u r into hip hop, then by law u need the rbass from waves. reinasance bundle i think.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search