The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
synth's into a DI or Mic Pre? Audio Interfaces
Old 8th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewj
By the way can you trade units useable for european customers there (220 volts and so on, tax an duty probs solved???).
We can talk about it over the email... But yes, we service the UK for various brands including Aurora Audio and a few others.
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont

The typical DI drops your keyboard down to a microphone level and impedance. So, it's the same as plugging a mic directly into your converter.... not enough signal.

Sorry for being a little slow, but if a DI will drop my keyboard signal down to a mic level, and i have to have a pre amp to bring it up again............what in this chain makes the synth sounds more "full" and less "harsh" and brittle then tracking direct to convertors?

I know they tracking my motif directly to convertors does not sound good, but how does dropping my synth down to a mic level and then using a pre amp to bring up the gain (instead of the master volume on the synth) make the synth recording sound better?

I know it will sound better, but what is the logic behind this?
Old 8th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew14
Sorry for being a little slow, but if a DI will drop my keyboard signal down to a mic level, and i have to have a pre amp to bring it up again............what in this chain makes the synth sounds more "full" and less "harsh" and brittle then tracking direct to convertors?

I know they tracking my motif directly to convertors does not sound good, but how does dropping my synth down to a mic level and then using a pre amp to bring up the gain (instead of the master volume on the synth) make the synth recording sound better?

I know it will sound better, but what is the logic behind this?
I would suggest reading this thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-and-production/59843-other-than-guitars-basses-when-absolutely-necessary-use-d-i.html
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

no i asked but you gave me another website i cant remember what though
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Tony
Could you please advise me as to why Im getting a hizz noise when I use the following chain..
Akai Z8->(standard 1/4" audio cables) to Neutrik Patchbay-->mogami balanced 1/4" to Demeter VTMP-2A (instrument input)-->mogami XLR to TRS balanced into RME Multiface II into PC.
But when I use this chain there is no hizz noise when I use the following chain......
Akai Z8->(standard 1/4" audio cables) to Neutrik Patchbay-->standard 1/4" into Yamaha 02R mixer-->from 02Rs Adat lite pipe into RME Multiface Adat Input.
COuld you tell me if a DI would fix this issue. I changed preamp into Focusrite ISA430 and the hizz is still consistent to the chain. Im also considering getting Vintech pres for sample drums from my Z8 but need to get this hizz issue sorted out no matter what Pre I use. Is it DI related?
Thanks in advance
Rgds
Clarence

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
It's not a bad idea, you can do it... It's just not typically how you would want to do it. Unless you wanted some extra distortion.

The typical DI drops your keyboard down to a microphone level and impedance. So, it's the same as plugging a mic directly into your converter.... not enough signal.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search